FAH Website issue on Firefox

Moderator: Site Moderators

screen317

FAH Website issue on Firefox

Post by screen317 »

Hi everyone,

On Firefox (version 11 and 12 at least), the main page for FAH looks wrong and there's no way to download the main client; see the attached image:

This has been on multiple computers all using Firefox. Internet Explorer appears to be unaffected.

bollix47

Re: FAH Website issue on Firefox

Post by bollix47 »

Using Firefox 12 here and when I look at the Home page everything looks good. ie it doesn't look like your pic. Do you have any type of blocking like adblock, flashblock or noscript?
nyanthiss

Post by nyanthiss »

Try if your firefox loads

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/download/style.css

and

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... nding2.gif

because you're definitely missing the CSS and the images located on other servers.

Also, check Tools -> Web Developer -> Error console -> Errors tab

Cheers
screen317

Post by screen317 »

Hello,

Thank you for the replies!

I have adblock plus on one of my computers, but this one has no add-ons and had the issue.

The first link by nyanthiss above displayed a long list of CSS code. The second loaded an image correctly.

Just tried it again and the site looks fine. Will try on my other computer when I get home and report back.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Since it's a similar thread and I've seen reports of this from users with Firefox, I just wanted to report that for the folding.stanford.edu site, my Android browser shows the message "There are problems with the security certificate for this site: this certificate is not from a trusted source." which stems from trying load the images from "https://..."
Since this problem occurred with the Trac ticket system and other areas when V7 hadn't yet moved into Public Beta, perhaps the easiest solution is to simply move those files to a non-secured location, so that it's just "http://...".
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Stanford is using a security certificate from a source that doesn't happen to be approved by Microsoft or perhaps by others. In Windows, upgrading root certificates is not considered an important update -- and I'm not sure if it's on the latest list, even now. Android must have a similar process, but I don't know what it is.
Spuds725

Home Page Link Not showing up

Post by Spuds725 »

This is probably not the right place but I wasn't sure how to procede-- hopefully one of the moderators has the web designers ear on issues like this....

I've been folding for a few years now and just recently downloaded the new client 7.1.52 which runs fine on my new PC.

I've been trying to recruit others to the cause but noticed a problem with the links when you navigate the fold@Home main page.

On Firefox Version 15-- the link to the new client does not show up at all.

On Internet explorer Version 9--- the place for the pic shows up but not the pic nor the clickable link show up.... there is a security certificate error message displayed at the bottom of the page and the link will only show up if you click the "show content" button.... then the link is displayed and is clickable.

On Chrome browser Version 22.0.1229.79 m the link does not show up at all (looks like the firefox page).

I can imagine this will discourage many casual users from downloading the client....

In my opinion-- if you are trying to expand the client user base that you should make it as easy as possible for the casual PC user to download, install, and configure the client software and a concerted effort should be made to do this.... (the install goes easy) but the download step is nearly unusable right now and the configure step could use some improvement.

Anyway--- my 2 cents.... I would hope someone can at least fix the links on the home page... or my recruiting efforts will be for nil.

Bill (aka Spuds725)

Mod: merged with existing topic
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

@Spuds725;
I do not know if it applies to any of the situations you have referenced but, I have noticed that Ad-blocking software can, in some cases, prevent info(pop-ups, etc) from being presented. It is very transparent and there is usually (in my experience) no warning that you are being prevented from viewing something because of your own doing. It is getting complicated.
What is past is prologue!
Spuds725

Post by Spuds725 »

thanks for moving my post to the appropriate thead.

It does look fine on my phone (where i'm typing this)- i don't think just adblocking would give security certificate error.. get same view at work.

I'm betting just making it text link rather then embedding in a picture will fix this.

glad someone knows about this anyway.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

The homepage utilizes CSS and Javascript. Could you look through those and see if there's any CSS/Javascript setting in your Firefox browser that seems out of place?
I notified some of the webmasters.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Jesse_V wrote:...
I notified some of the webmasters.
I doubt the situation will change this time since they were already contacted when the thread started.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.