FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

FahMon (multi-platform app to monitor various F@h clients)

Post by uncle_fungus »

FahMon 2.3.1 available;

WHAT'S NEW

FahMon 2.3.1 30 October 2007:

General
  • Updated and improved documentation (this is still "Work in Progress").
  • Added Czech translation.
  • Preferences dialog and client list now save changes immediately, which should help in situations where FahMon crashes, like fast-user-switching or closing RDP/VNC sessions.
  • Added Drag-and-Drop function to the client list to allow new clients to be added more easily.
  • Add Gromacs SMP CVS (GROCVS) core support.
  • Adjusted margin on the benchmarks dialog.
  • Fixed bug in "Effective Duration" code that produced incorrect results when calculating values for WUs with less than 100 frames.
  • Detailed instructions on how to compile FahMon using the MS Free Tools are now provided.
  • Altered progress detection method to use FAHlog.txt, this should help with cores that don't update unitinfo.txt in a timely fashion, or at all.
  • Unitinfo.txt is still used as a fallback if 1) The projectId is unknown, 2) The WU is still in the "startup" phase (i.e. yellow).
  • Added WebApp module. You can now export the monitoring status to 3 different formats, WebApp - a fancy jscript powered web page that mimics the FahMon interface; Simple Web - a simple web page containing useful data arranged in a simple table; Simple Text - similar to Simple Web, but optimised for shell based viewing - useful for monitoring over SSH.
  • Removed redundant "display deadlines in days option". The format is now controlled by the old "Display ETA as" option which has been renamed to "Display dates as"
  • Added menu item to cycle through ETA display styles as requested.
  • Updated about dialog to use new website
  • HTTP requests from FahMon now send a User-Agent string (i.e. FahMon/2.3.1)
  • Update notification system added
  • Added Dutch translation
  • Added Brazilian Portuguese translation
  • Added Spanish translation
  • New application icon, including Vista-required dimensions
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

One of the fixes in 2.3.1 is supposed to fix a problem with WU's of less than 100 frames. I'm processing WU3905 with 50 frames, and am currently at 62% - FAH-MON still says it's at 12% (62 minus 50) and will complete in 49709 days.
I can't seem to attach thte screen print, tho.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

u_f knows the issue ...

There is the same issue with p1487 with old core that were completing at 150%. I've seen this issue on beta WU counting from 100% to 200% too ...

Let pray that u_f will find a fix for next update ;)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

I know that u_f THOUGHT he had fixed this particular problem - I had posted a 'defect report' on his FAH-MON site, and he later replied it was fixed.

This is NOT the problem where WU1487 is saying it's more than 100% complete - it's not associated with an old core. It's a problem where the number of frames is X, strictly less than 100% (but I've only had WU's that were 50 frames or 100 frames). When the WU is more than 50% done, the FAH-MON 'window' shows it as X minus 50 percent done, and decides the completion date is almost 50,000 days in the future. I've watched a 50-frame WU go from showing 48% done after 24 frames, then showing 2% done after 26 frames - I wasn't staring at my screen when it reached exactly 50%.
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

All the bugs I note as being fixed on the FahMon website are in the SVN development code.

All these changes will be incorporated into the next release.

To be clear, the 50 frame bug is fixed in the latest bleeding edge code (which anyone can download and try to compile, instructions are provided), but the current release of FahMon still has this bug.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It's a bit complicated for me ... I think I'll wait for the next release ;)

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

toTOW wrote:It's a bit complicated for me ... I think I'll wait for the next release ;)
Thats a sensible idea ;)

I'd only recommend compiling from source (on Windows at least) if you want to have a go at fixing things.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Basically, I just wanted to test the fixes before the release ...

Do you have an ETA for it :?: (the progress on the developpement section shows that there's stil a lot to do)

uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

toTOW wrote:Basically, I just wanted to test the fixes before the release ...

Do you have an ETA for it :?: (the progress on the developpement section shows that there's stil a lot to do)
Sadly not. A lot of the tickets for the 2.3.2 milestone are documentation issues, which are easy to close (when I have the time).

There are a few fairly major bugs which I want to fix before release, like the 100% CPU usage bug etc.

When I have an ETA, I'll update the roadmap on trac.
Naki

Post by Naki »

Can I monitor Windows SMP console client with Fahmon 2.3.1? If so, how to do it?
Thanks! (Running WinXP Pro SP2, client is Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta5)
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes you can ... there nothing special to do, just add your client to Fahmon list (right click on the main windows > add a new client ... point to your Folding installation folder).

Naki

Post by Naki »

It won't work. It shows just the User name and Team number, but nothing else...
The folder is D:\Program Files\Folding@Home Windows SMP Client V1.01\.
Maybe the SMP console client isn't working properly? Running WinXP Pro.

EDIT: Hmm, I sorted it out. I ran fah.exe under another user (my main user has a blank password, so FAH won't run with it).

I found that I have to run fah.exe under my main user and it automatically will load the cores EXEs (4 instances of FahCore_a1.exe) under the other password-protected user name.

Sorry about that, it is working fine now...
ICE_9

Post by ICE_9 »

Can you add some details on how to upload the html files onto say, a webspace provided by an ISP? I have tried to do it with windows web folders, but FAHmon won't save to it. I would like to keep from having to do this by getting another program to do it. Windows should be able to do it.
http://www.hardforum.com

Team [H]ard OCP.
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

Naki wrote:EDIT: Hmm, I sorted it out. I ran fah.exe under another user (my main user has a blank password, so FAH won't run with it).

I found that I have to run fah.exe under my main user and it automatically will load the cores EXEs (4 instances of FahCore_a1.exe) under the other password-protected user name.
I solved this issue in Vista by sharing the installation folder on my LAN and giving the other user co-ownership of the file. I'm not sure if the same thing applies to WinXP, but it probably does.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

ICE_9 wrote:Can you add some details on how to upload the html files onto say, a webspace provided by an ISP? I have tried to do it with windows web folders, but FAHmon won't save to it. I would like to keep from having to do this by getting another program to do it. Windows should be able to do it.
Fahmon only save the file on the drive ... then you have to upload it manually using FTP.

I automated the process by creating a scheduled task that will upload every five minutes.

If you need help setting this, I can give post my script and task config ;)

Here is the result : http://foldingadonf.fleucorp.fr/fahmon/toTOW.html ... and with some additional coding, I generate a page from all places where my clients are located : http://foldingadonf.fleucorp.fr/fahmon/