TOTAL NEWB - Everything soudn right?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TxCruncher

TOTAL NEWB - Everything soudn right?

Post by TxCruncher »

I have a Core i3 2120 and AMD HD 6850. I'm currently downloading two different cores? Work Units? WU? Not sure the correct terminology. Anyway, my PPD is hovering around 7000.
TPF on the GPU is just over 4 minutes and on the CPU is just over 5 min (Per FAHClient), howerver HFM shows SMP at just over 7 min TPM. Using client 7.1.52

Anyway, I'm good if that sounds right, but if it doesn't where should i look.
bruce

Re: TOTAL NEWB - Everything soudn right?

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, TxCruncher.

That's a reasonable configuration so no tweaking is required . . . but you can probably do better with a minor reconfiguration. If it sounds too complicated, don't change anything.

The AMD GPU generally requires one CPU core to support it. Your i3-2120 has two cores, leaving only one to process the SMP assignment which limits your SMP performance quite significantly.

I can think of two configurations which will probably be better, though you'll have to test them both and decide which you want to run permanently. One is to run the GPU and a uniprocessor slot without SMP. The other is to run SMP without the GPU.

Right-click on the GPU slot and select finish. Wait for that WU to finish. Wait for several SMP frames to finish (so the TPF stabilizes) and note whether your total PPD has increased or decreased.

Click Finish and wait for the SMP WU to be completed. Remove the SMP slot and add a uniprocessor slot. Click Fold and wait for several frames to be completed by both slots (until the PPD stabilizes). Choose one of the three configurations.
TxCruncher

Re: TOTAL NEWB - Everything sound right?

Post by TxCruncher »

Many thanks! I'll try those when I get home.

Also, I have my PS3 folding as well. Is there any way to add that client to the FAH interface. I tried simply adding the IP address but, it hung on connecting. Presumably not using the same port? PS3 seems to work much faster.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: TOTAL NEWB - Everything soudn right?

Post by Zagen30 »

The PS3 client was never coded to allow monitoring of the log files, so no monitoring software can see it.

Note that the length of time in which a Work Unit is processed is rather arbitrary and doesn't really shed any light on things like the size of the protein being simulated or the timescale of that slice of the folding process. A certain WU doing a short time frame of a small protein may complete faster than another WU doing a longer time frame of a large protein, but that doesn't make the former more valuable. Comparing run times between two different types of hardware can be very misleading since you're now factoring in massive architectural and programming language differences. It's for this reason that PPD is used to compare the relative value of everything, as it factors in the timescale and protein complexity.