How to use Fahmon with a VM (w/ notfred) over a network?

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

DriveEuro

How to use Fahmon with a VM (w/ notfred) over a network?

Post by DriveEuro »

Ok, I'll try to make this not confusing....

I'm running a Q6600 HTPC downstairs. This is running VMware, which is running 2 instances of NotFred's diskless folding. When they boot they say that their IP is 192.168.0.128 & 129. I can type those addresses in on the HTPC PC and see their status fine.

Here lies the problem. I use FAHMON to monitor my rigs from my office. I cannot see the status of the HTPC when I type in 192.168.0.128/129 from my office. I don't see the status either when I type in the IP of the HTPC computer from my office. I don't see them listed in Network Places either.

I want to be able to use FAHMON in my office to track the progress of the HTPC.

I am running VMware with the NAT network setting since they don't even get net access when I run them Bridged.

How can I monitor my HTPC from my office? Help please.

EDIT:
After a bit of hunting it seems that I cannot use bridged mode because I am using a wireless adapter on the HTPC. Ugh, I cannot run a cable to the HTPC either. Solutions?

Title edit. -7im
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Re: How to view NotFred (running VM) status over network?

Post by theMASS »

If you left the default option Windows Networking enabled... There will be a Workgroup named Diskless that is visible if you browse your network that lists each instance of notfred setup clients by their Hostname. You can find the Hostname on the web interface that you access via IP address.

The path you'll use for FahMon or FahSpy (handles VMWare'd clients better for me) will look something like this \\Fold-15BF\c\etc\folding\1\
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Yes, I'm already aware of this.

On the HTPC the two notfred instances DO show up under diskless. They do not show up from my office though. I've read that this is most likely because I'm using NAT instead of bridged mode in VMware. When I select bridged mode my VMs do not get internet access. Like I said before, I believe this has to do with the fact that my HTPC uses wireless.
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

DriveEuro wrote:Yes, I'm already aware of this.

On the HTPC the two notfred instances DO show up under diskless. They do not show up from my office though. I've read that this is most likely because I'm using NAT instead of bridged mode in VMware. When I select bridged mode my VMs do not get internet access. Like I said before, I believe this has to do with the fact that my HTPC uses wireless.
I have a laptop that uses a wireless NAT connection with a VM'd client and it works...

Try manually adding the clients. Get the hostname from the clients locally from the HTPC i.e. fold-XXXX
Then add \\Fold-XXXX\c\etc\folding\1\ (replace Fold-XXXX with your hostname)

What IP address is the office computer using? Also what IP address is the VMW Host using?
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

theMASS wrote:
DriveEuro wrote:Yes, I'm already aware of this.

I have a laptop that uses a wireless NAT connection with a VM'd client and it works...

Try manually adding the clients. Get the hostname from the clients locally from the HTPC i.e. fold-XXXX
Then add \\Fold-XXXX\c\etc\folding\1\ (replace Fold-XXXX with your hostname)

What IP address is the office computer using? Also what IP address is the VMW Host using?
No go on typing in the hostnames.

Ip address in the office is 192.168.2.3
HTPC ip address is 192.168.2.4

Is that what you meant by the VMW host?
bruce

Re: How to use Fahmon with a VM (w/ notfred) over a network?

Post by bruce »

You may already know this, but addresses in the 192.168.xx.xx range are behind a NAT router and cannot be seen on the internet unless the router is specifically configured to expose that machine to the internet or you have some other means of sharing data between that pair of machines.
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

OK... Here's how I have my laptop configured.

In the Host menu select Virtual Network Settings

Select the Automatic Bridging tab

Make sure Automatically choose an available physical adapter... is selected

Select Add and choose the wired adapter so that it shows up in the Exclude adapters box.

Ethernet adapter is set to NAT

I configured this a few months ago so I may have left something out... so if it is still a no go...let me know
Ren02

Post by Ren02 »

These menus are available if you use VMWare Server instead of the VMWare Player. Server is also free, but it has a more complicated registration process, therefore people tend to download the Player.
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

TheMass...

I have the wired NIC disabled as I have no cable running to it. It dosen't even show up in the exluded box (obviously, since it is disabled).
Thanks, but still no go.

Ren02, I'm using VMware server.
DriveEuro

Post by DriveEuro »

Got it working today. Not sure how. Just enabled Bridged networking rather than NAT and it worked. I've done it before with no success.
Thanks for your help guys.