Clients?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

baicunko

Clients?

Post by baicunko »

Hi! My name is Christian and I''m doing some research on f@h.
I'm currently on 3rd year of civil engineering and I would lime to test f@h in my university.
They have allowed me to install the client on 90 intel core i5 desktop computers that are used regularly through the day by students, mostly google chrome, word, some excel, etc.. Nothing too demanding.
I don't know which client to use as the single core looks very inactive and the smp2 looks too active.
I'm doing this as a stud to see how the computers can be combined to make one super CPU.
Any suggestions on which client to use? Any configuration? Thanks!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Clients?

Post by 7im »

Hello baicunko, welcome to the forum, and to folding.

Your computers cannot be combined. In fact, Folding@home is already combining everyone's computers in to one big super computer, so no need for you to do the same. However, you might consider combining those computers in a team effort, either with an existing team, or start your own.

My recommendation would be to install the SMP slot option, and set the number of processors from default (4) on the i5 down to 3. This will reduce the SMP client usage to what I believe would be an acceptable level.

Another alternative, install 3 or 4 UNI slots per i5. You can select UNI during the installation, and then manually add 2 or 3 more. (I would only choose this option if the machine will only be folding part-time and missing deadlines become a problem.)

There really isn't too much to be customized in a standard environment like yours. The client was designed so the default settings are the recommended settings for most people.

Feel free to make use of the install guides, wiki, etc., or ask away here in the forum. We're here to help.
Last edited by 7im on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I'm not really sure if SMP would work here. Deadlines are strict and these PC's will only be online for roughly 8 hours. I think going with unicore slots is a better idea.
SuperVeloce

Post by SuperVeloce »

Small SMP packets usually have around ~6 days timeout and 12 days expiration. It's enough even for my Core 2 duo. Larger packets get longer timeouts. I guess newer cpus can get more tight deadlines, but are faster anyways.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

JonazzDJ wrote:Deadlines are strict and these PC's will only be online for roughly 8 hours.
Do you mean 8 hours a day? I believe 8 hours a day will almost certainly make the timeout of an 8042 or 7809 for example. Even if only using 3 cores instead of 4.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Iceman: you're talking about a part-time quad or a part-time 3way machine. Part-time duos are more likely to run into deadline problems, though, that uniprocessor assignments don't run into, but there are wide variations in what "part-time" means plus wide variations in the speed of the duos, and sometimes that counts a machine with two virtual cores on either side of that divide. It's very difficult to make one rule work for everybody.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Well that depends on which ones they are. If they're from the Sandy or Ivy Bridge generation, desktop i5s are 4C/4T except the low voltage Sandy Bridge i5-2390T and the Ivy Bridge i5-3470T which are 2C/4T.
Or did I miss something? :?
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Obviously it depends on the hardware. Let's say these computers finish the current SMP units in time, with 25 % of the deadline left.

What if next year, the PG releases a bunch of bigger SMP projects and they suddenly can't make the deadline anymore (last year a bunch of new unicore A4 WU's were released which were a lot bigger, some people who folded for years had to stop because the deadlines were too strict). I can imagine that F@H on these computers will have little monitoring, and these PC's might fail WU's for weeks before anyone notices.

I believe that in cases such as this, where whole schools/universities run F@H, people opt for unicore slots. Just to be safe.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

JonazzDJ wrote:I can imagine that F@H on these computers will have little monitoring, and these PC's might fail WU's for weeks before anyone notices.

I believe that in cases such as this, where whole schools/universities run F@H, people opt for unicore slots. Just to be safe.
True. But V7 does have built-in remote monitoring/control. There is the option to configure them so all of then are seen from one machine, if that's possible across the university network.

You may have thought of this already, but be sure to set v7 up so that it starts hidden away in the iconbar. That way it's not intrusive to others. V6 was neat in this way.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.