F@H 100x faster!?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RMouse

Exciting Folding Project

Post by RMouse »

Anyone look at project 7032? VERY exciting stuff. Possibly increasing the power of Folding Home by 100 times!

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fah ... ned?p=7032

I hope it is a great success.

Keep folding!
iceman1992

Re: Exciting Folding Project

Post by iceman1992 »

It's not the only one.. There are tens of projects with the same description.. from 7000-7030 something.. And the 10084 group of projects too..
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I'm folding one now :D

They've been around for a while. See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18884&p=188919#p188919

But don't forget: while 100x faster is a big increase, FAH has already come a long way! Back when this project started, they could fold proteins on the nanosecond timescale. Around 2008, they could fold proteins on the milisecond timescale (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers#ntoc29). That's 1 million times faster! They're probably working on proteins wich take tens of milieseconds to fold today.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

JonazzDJ wrote:But don't forget: while 100x faster is a big increase, FAH has already come a long way! Back when this project started, they could fold proteins on the nanosecond timescale. Around 2008, they could fold proteins on the milisecond timescale (http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers#ntoc29). That's 1 million times faster! They're probably working on proteins wich take tens of milieseconds to fold today.
There's a blog post that talks about F@h's capability growth over time: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/06 ... -come.html
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

That's what I based my post on :P
TonyStewart14

F@H 100x faster!?

Post by TonyStewart14 »

If you look at the description for Project 7035 here, you'll see that the project is testing "a novel means to significantly accelearate [sic] Folding@home Molecular Dynamics calculations by 100x without any additional increase in hardware." How cool would that be if it were true! A hex-core i7 could be as productive as 10 quad-16 bigadv systems, for example. They have a paper linked there too, but I'd be really interested to see how this project progresses.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Re: F@H 100x faster!?

Post by Jesse_V »

It's even more amazing you realize how accelerated F@h already is.
1) By using adaptive sampling and Markov state models they get something like a six orders of magnitude improvement over standard molecular dynamics.
2) The work gets done in parallel.
3) They use OpenMM for further hardware optimization.
4) Gromacs is widely considered to be one of the most efficient molecular dynamics software packages on the planet.
5) For certain calculations GPUs and PS3s can offer additional orders of magnitude speedups.
6) And this whole thing is running on the world's most powerful distributed computing project.

And they're looking into a 100x speed increase on top of that! :D
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

100x seems like a bit of an over-exaggeration. It just seems a little too large of an increase (and by such a generic number) to be completely true. I may be wrong though, but this is just my speculation.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

Stonecold wrote:100x seems like a bit of an over-exaggeration. It just seems a little too large of an increase (and by such a generic number) to be completely true. I may be wrong though, but this is just my speculation.
Would you have been more convinced if the figure was 97x?
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

k1wi wrote:
Stonecold wrote:100x seems like a bit of an over-exaggeration. It just seems a little too large of an increase (and by such a generic number) to be completely true. I may be wrong though, but this is just my speculation.
Not that I won't believe it, it's just so impressive that I'm skeptical that FAH could improve 10,000% in one go.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Stonecold wrote:
k1wi wrote:
Not that I won't believe it, it's just so impressive that I'm skeptical that FAH could improve 10,000% in one go.
From the paper's abstract:
We present numerical results showing that time steps of up to 1000 fs can be used, with real speedups of up to 200 times over plain molecular dynamics. We present results of successfully folding the Fip35 mutant of WW domain.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It's probably okay to be skeptical about PG's ability to apply this technique to all proteins of all sizes. But it is not okay to question stated facts. That's like not believing in gravity.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

7im wrote:It's probably okay to be skeptical about PG's ability to apply this technique to all proteins of all sizes. But it is not okay to question stated facts. That's like not believing in gravity.
Oh OK. I was under the impression that this was a universal thing that applied to all proteins.

And I don't believe in gravity. It's actually the Flying Spaghetti Monster holding us on Earth with his noodles. ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

I understand quite a bit of the underlying mathematics of this new methodology. There is a sound basis to believe that accurate results can be achieved with significantly longer time-steps. I don't know enough about "all proteins" to predict an answer to 7i'm speculation, however, so there will need to be enough beta testing to ascertain any practical limitations of the methodology.

For those of you who are expecting this announcement to imply you'll earn 100x as many points, that's simply not going to happen. This methodology will still be benchmarked by the traditional methods.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I suggest you read this:
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/06 ... -come.html

100x actually isn't that much if you realise where we came from in 2000.