Installation clarification?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Installation clarification?

Postby Jesse_V » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 am

bs_texas wrote:But, just on a whim, I did a ps -A | grep FAH and then fah and discovered that fahcore_a4 was a running process and FAHClient was a running process. I ran top and there was fahcore_a4 at the top and FAHClient just a few process below. I did -nothing- to launch them. And I have no idea where they launch automatically as processes. Of course, I saw them running there, but there was no way to tell anything about what they were doing.

They were launched by the F@h software. It's normal. The client consists of several components that all tie together:
FAHControl - GUI, can control local and remote folding clients.
FAHViewer - 3D viewer for the WU's protein being processed.
FAHClient - application which manages FAHSlots. FAHClient can be run in the command line without FAHControl.
FAHSlot - can be of uniprocessor, SMP, or GPU type, can download cores and upload WUs independently
FAHCore - the highly technical software that performs the actual calculations on the Work Units
Work Units - data containing the protein and other information

So those are normal processes.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Re: Installation clarification?

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 am

Glossary lesson aside, and as mentioned previously, fah on linux gets installed as a service. But it won't run unless certain dependencies are met. Upgrading didn't remove the fah service but did fix the deps allowing fah to run now.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Previous

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux