GPU folding not working in Windows 8 RTM

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GPU folding not working in Windows 8 RTM

Postby JJanner2012 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Using the 90 day eval version of Windows 8 Enterprise RTM. Installed 7.1.52; SMP works fine, however when attempting GPU slot I receive pop-up saying opengl.dll is missing and program cannot continue. Already searched this forum and Bing, no clues. Perhaps a different installation method to use than accepting defaults on custom install?

I've used this successfully on Windows 7.

-jj-
JJanner2012

Re: GPU folding not working in Windows 8 RTM

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:48 am

Welcome to foldingforum.org, JJanner2012

You probably should have found this topic (or one like it): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21834

I'll bet you didn't install current drivers for your GPU.
bruce

Postby JJanner2012 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Bruce, neither the cited topic or the other Win8 topics had anything on this error message. But your advice to install current drivers was exactly on-target. It seems Win8 does not install much in the way of manufacturer's drivers (or in any event not the AMD drivers for my GPU). AMD had Win7/Win8 drivers of mid-August vintage that now have me folding on my GPU. Thank you!

FAH Win8 install FAQ should include this bit of info.
JJanner2012

Postby prjindigo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 am

I'd assume the lack of anything to be a stated feature of Windows 8. Their intent was to turn our computers into an overblown Android tablet.
Always install the manufacturer drivers anyway, often the windows internal drivers are boot-straps that make the card run like a lower version.
prjindigo

Postby kg4icg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 am

I have no problems folding with Win 8 RTM. I have completed 3 wu's that I started with no problems including folding a gpu wu with a GTX670. Make sure you give F@H administration rights because of security is different with Win 8 as oppose to Win 7.
kg4icg

Postby codysluder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:42 am

kg4icg wrote:I have no problems folding with Win 8 RTM. I have completed 3 wu's that I started with no problems including folding a gpu wu with a GTX670. Make sure you give F@H administration rights because of security is different with Win 8 as oppose to Win 7.
Please explain in more detail. (I'm not familiar with what changes in Win 8 security.) I do know that people have mistakenly reported that they could only fold with Admin security in Win 7 but most people avoid that problem with some rather simple steps. Maybe we can find a way to do it in Win 8.
codysluder

Postby kg4icg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:44 am

Basically right click the app on the desktop, select properties and grant the app administration privileges. Just like you do in other versions of Windows.
kg4icg

Postby codysluder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 am

kg4icg wrote:Basically right click the app on the desktop, select properties and grant the app administration privileges. Just like you do in other versions of Windows.

That's not what I was asking. I know HOW to do that, but WHY is is needed. Specifically what is the problem. Do you need write permission on some file? Did you give FAH permission to bypass the firewall or is that still needed? Are you worried about the digital signature warnings? Etc.?
codysluder

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux