Version 7.x - number of completed work units?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Version 7.x - number of completed work units?

Postby Naki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Versions 6.x of Folding@Home had/have the "Number of work units completed" in the log files, after completing each work unit.
Was this removed from version 6.x? If so, why?
Or maybe I am just looking in the wrong place? If so, where do I look?

Using Folding@Home 6.x on a WinXP box + 7.x client on two Windows 7 boxes.
Naki

Re: Version 7.x - number of completed work units?

Postby 7im » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 pm

It was a pointless and misleading feature. The count was reset to zero every time you upgraded client versions. And since a lot of people run multiple clients, the count only applied to that local system, since the last upgrade. It never displayed all of your work units completed.

A stats page or a 3rd party monitor app does a much better job of showing accurate results.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Rel25917 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I personally loved knowing exactly how many units a particular client had finished and would love to see this put back in. I love knowing that my core 2 duo machine has done 345 units, and my gpu client on the same machine has done 645, my v6 client from my game machine has done 318, the gpu client from that machine has done 600. Does knowing this do me any real good? No but I like knowing it anyway. I would love to see a slot counter put in for completed units.
Rel25917

Postby 7im » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Install HFM. You'll be much happier.
7im

Postby bruce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

7im wrote:Install HFM. You'll be much happier.

I agree: HFM is great, but that's no reason to leave the capability out of V7. See Ticket #837
bruce

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 am

Added a comment to the ticket to store the counts in one of the files that would survive an upgrade, so this V7 feature would be even better than v6.

Maybe they could even store the counts by slot type? ;)
7im

Postby Rel25917 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 am

I have hfm, it likes to count some WUs twice for some reason. And unless installed at the same time as Fah and kept running so it never misses a unit its stats are just as meaningless as a local count from a single client. I also think counting and displaying the failures as in the ticket would be extremely useful. No more random searching of long logs to find problems.
Rel25917

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:37 am

It's just as easy to put HFM in the startup folder as it is fah, so that's not really an issue.

So I guess we agree that the client counting or a 3rd party app counting WUs are both meaningless. ;) At least HFM doesn't lose count when you upgrade either, and can count multiple clients.
7im

Postby Naki » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm

7im wrote:It's just as easy to put HFM in the startup folder as it is fah, so that's not really an issue.

So I guess we agree that the client counting or a 3rd party app counting WUs are both meaningless. ;) At least HFM doesn't lose count when you upgrade either, and can count multiple clients.

1) Thanks for the replies to you and the others!
2) No, I don't agree. :)
Naki

Postby Rel25917 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Meaningless but I like having it just the same. And it would seem there are others out there that like it too since at least one person came and made a post about it.
Rel25917

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Rel25917 wrote:Meaningless but I like having it just the same. And it would seem there are others out there that like it too since at least one person came and made a post about it.

I've been a big proponent of assuring feature continuity from v6 to V7. I even opened that feature request ticket mentioned above, more than 6 months ago. Just because I don't find a feature useful personally doesn't mean I won't support others who do want to use it. 8-) Doesn't mean I won't make alternate suggestions also. :twisted:

Since this is a low priority ticket, it's not likely to get fixed soon. So in the mean time, even if you don't like HFM or one of the many other helpful 3rd party tools, those tools are your ONLY option to count WUs until the ticket is closed. Fold on. :arrow:
7im

Postby iceman1992 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Yeah I also noticed the WU count missing when I upgraded to v7.. Would love to have it back, although yes it's not very useful, I like knowing how many WUs a particular client installation has completed, I used to frequently reinstall clients..

7im wrote:Since this is a low priority ticket, it's not likely to get fixed soon. So in the mean time, even if you don't like HFM or one of the many other helpful 3rd party tools, those tools are your ONLY option to count WUs until the ticket is closed. Fold on. :arrow:
Speaking of low priority tickets, I'm just wondering, are there any low (or trivial) priority tickets that are closed? Because it seems there are always higher priority tickets at any time.. If the higher priority always gets fixed first, when will they fix the lower priority ones? :lol:
iceman1992

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Yes. You should read the ticket history more.

This is when...

1. There are a lot of high priority tickets now, but that won't last forever. They get fixed eventually, leading to lower tickets getting fixed.
2. Low priority tickets are sometimes fixed "as convenient" while fixing a related high priority ticket.
3. Low priority tickets are sometimes made high priority tickets.
4. Some low priority tickets may never get fixed.
5. Some tickets have already been closed as "Won't fix."
7im

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux