#914 Core won't download (IPV6)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: Core won't download (IPV6?)

Postby DeeGee » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Yes, I agree that ipv6 support isn't needed in the immediate future... But like I already said, couldn't the client be made to specifically request the ipv4 address from dns? Now it seems to just ask for the first dns address, that is on linux by default the ipv6 address and on windows also ipv6 if you have set the system to prefer ipv6 over ipv4.
DeeGee

Postby bruce » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 pm

DeeGee wrote:... couldn't the client be made to specifically request the ipv4 address from dns? ...
Probably, but that would be an unnecessary waste of scarce programming resources.

The policy associated with the world-wide introduction of IPV6 is that it would not break applications which are written for IPV4. It is a limited test to uncover the various bugs and one of those bugs has been found in Windows. (I'm not sure about Linux.) Our forum suggested disabling IPV6 on Windows before we discovered that Microsoft has provided an official solution to the problem -- probably a temporary one until a better one can be found.

There should be no urgency in changing anything inside of the FAH client to bypass a Microsoft's bug. I support Joseph's decision to postpone the rewrite to fully support IPV6 until he has time to do it right just as (apparently) Microsoft has postponed a comprehensive fix until they can do it right. At this time, I believe Joseph should concentrate on the more urgent/important issues that need resolving in the next revision of V7.
bruce

Postby Sukender » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

After weeks struggling with the the problem, I just confirm that "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" fix from Microsoft (mentioned by Bruce, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454 ) solves the issue on my computer (Win7 x64). I just hope ticket #505 will solve this issue since I will NOT keep my computer prefer IPv4 for long. This would be too bad dropping FAH just for such a blocking bug.
Sukender
Sukender

Re: Core won't download (IPV6)

Postby 7im » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:41 pm

99% of the IP world is still on IPv4. Your computer problably surfs faster with the Prefer IPv4 setting. Instead of an annoyance, fah may have done you a favor. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Re: #914 Core won't download (IPV6)

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Sukender wrote:After weeks struggling with the the problem, I just confirm that "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" fix from Microsoft (mentioned by Bruce, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454 ) solves the issue on my computer (Win7 x64). I just hope ticket #505 will solve this issue since I will NOT keep my computer prefer IPv4 for long. This would be too bad dropping FAH just for such a blocking bug.
I'm glad that the current work-around works for you. I expect that Ticket #914 will also work for you. I don't think you understand, though.

There are three steps to fixing this problem -- or rather there are three problems of differencing priority. Classifying all three as a "blocking bug" is inappropriate.
1) Use the "Prefer IPv4 over IPv6" fix from Microsoft or the "disable IPV6" as suggested earlier.
2) Use the fix provided in Ticket #914 (This is expected to be fixed in v7.2.0.)
3) Use the fix proposed in Ticket #505.

Item 1 provides a temporary work-around for the problem and is available now.

Item 2 is expected to provide a permanent fix for the "Core won't download (IPV6)" being discussed in this topic. I can't predict when V7.2.0 will be released, but I expect it to be soon. (Development is already working on Milestone: v7.2.4

Item 3 will provide the V7 client with the ability to contact FAH servers which DO NOT have IPV4 addresses. Currently, all FAH servers DO have IPV4 addresses and I am not aware of any near-term plans to utilize servers which cannot use IPV4. Fixing #505 is beyond the scope of the problem you've reported and it cannot be considered as blocking. Thus it has been reclassified from a defect to an enhancement and set to priority 7 (minor). In other words, development does not consider a short-term fix for that ticket as important and although it will be fixed someday, there are many other problems which will be fixed before work on it begins.
bruce

Re: #914 Core won't download (IPV6)

Postby DeeGee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Ah, excellent. Ticket #914 is exactly what I requested in my earlier post. At least after that fix the core downloads will work, even if you happen to have ipv6 support in your network.
DeeGee

Previous

Return to V7.1.52 Windows/Linux