Why are you folding?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Re: Why are you folding?

Post by Leonardo »

1. it's a charity that I firmly believe in; I'm 'doing my part' to help humanity
2. history of Alzheimer's on my father's side of the family
3. I thoroughly enjoy the technical challenges of designing, building, and tuning computers to optimally employe the Folding clients
4. the competitive aspect is engaging for me

Summary: It's an activity where I can combine my desire to do good things and my primary hobby.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

if i don't fold i don't feel right. addicted i guess.
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

I fold because it's the only way I can help medical science progress even when I'm not doing anything. I have a decent laptop, and a powerful desktop (and in about a week I'll be getting a kick-ass MainGear computer), and I just don't feel right leaving them off all the time (or at least idle). All that unused CPU load could go to helping research and cure diseases with (virtually) no extra cost to me. By the time FAH wears down my computer, it'll probably already be obsolete. Plus, knowing that 1 in 2 people get cancer and 1 in 4 die because of cancer, I think it would be in my best interest, and the best interest of billions of others, to run this project on my computer.

Basically, I do it because I can help people simply by keeping my computer running.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Stonecold said it really well. Totally agree :D
Last edited by Jesse_V on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
SASinUtah

Post by SASinUtah »

I too enjoy computers and tweaking them. I just replaced my old HTPC/Folding mainstay (Althon 64 X2 w/AMD video card) and my new build research priority was tilted heavily towards Folding versus HTPC (although the HTPC functions much better now than with the older system, but who uses a slightyly OC'ed 965 as an HTPC?). I enjoy the challange of the new build, am competative enough to enjoy watching points increase, enjoy being on the cutting edge of something (even if one doesn't understand half of the terms used..........ok, maybe 3/4 of the terms used), but more importantly, my mom passed away at 55. Only two of my children had any real time or opportunity with her; the other two were too young to remember her. Maybe this small contribution will one day help someone enjoy their grandparent longer than my children did. One can only hope.
lectrocrew
Hardware configuration: HP Compaq 6715b
Turion 64x2 2Ghz
Vista Business X64
4Gb PC2 6400
F@H SMP v7.1.52

HP 2000-299wm
T3500 Dual Core 2.1 GHz
Win7 X64 - 3Gb DDR3
F@H SMP v7.1.52

ATX full tower, Celeron 2.4 GHz
XP SP3 X86
Intel D845GVSR
768 Mb DDR
F@H CPU v5.03

Post by lectrocrew »

Because it's something good for my computers to do. But I'm also 'all-in' when it comes to helping find cures for diseases. I gave my mother her diabetes insulin shots since 1970, when I was 10, until 1994 when she died from ovarian cancer. Dad died in 2007 from lung cancer. Cancer also took uncles, aunts, grandparents and a few dear friends through the years. My sister has also been fighting a crippling disease for several years. I've been living with 2 terminal illnesses for 19 years now only because of the medicines that have bought me that time. That time was the result of research like FAH supports. So I owe many a day to trying to make what limited contributing I can to this cause. My many thanks to the guru's at Stanford, everyone running FAH, and to all the dedicated individuals in the world that use their talents for such a needed cause. :D
Mike
hootis
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8 +ATi HD 5870
AMD Athlon II 610e @ 2.5 + 2x Nvidia 560Ti @ 1ghz
AMD Athlon II 605e @ 2.4 +Nvidia 550Ti + Nvidia GT 240
AMD Athlon II 620 @ 3.3ghz

Post by hootis »

simple answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1r1KTjaE
Also I'm a type 1 diabetic which is the main reason I started FAH and stay with it over setti@home or some of the other distributed computing projects
Things yet to materialize.
RozSummer
Hardware configuration: AMD 2P Opteron 6274 32 core @ 2.5GHz, 1600 DDR3, SuperMicro MB, Ubuntu 11.10 SMP/BigAdv (~160,000 PPD)

AMD 8150 8 Core @ 4.2GHz on water, 2133 DDR3, Win7 64, SMP, GPUs: 4x GTX 560Ti @ 900MHz, Chenbro 4100 chassis w/7 high volume fans, 1250 watt Seasonic Gold power supply (~80,000 PPD)

Intel Quad Core, 2.66GHz, Win7 64, SMP, GPUs: GTX 570 @ 850MHz, GT430 @ 820MHz (30,000 PPD)

Intel Celeron dual core, SMP Ubuntu 11.10 (~2,000 PPD)

Sony PS3 (1,000 PPD) (folding since April 2009)

Post by RozSummer »

I primary reason I fold is because my Dad has multiple myeloma and so far has been able to stay one step ahead of the disease through careful monitoring by his doctors, but more critically through access to new therapies that are either experimental or just becoming generally available. In my opinion, all of us participating are blazing the trail of how new drugs, like the ones keeping my Father alive, will be discovered and further developed. Perhaps into the future, the therapies conceived via our collective dedication to folding will unlock the fundamentals of biology at the cellular level and will open the door to specifically customized treatments based on our own DNA profiles. I imagine a day in the future when me and my Dad walk into his Oncologists office where the Dr takes a blood sample, uploads it to a Stanford-like server farm where it gets distributed to a few hundred thousand computers and less than an hour, the results come back that describe the precise pathogenic disease profile and the exact combination, timing and dosing of the medicines to attack it. Every one of us contributing to FAH is laying the foundation for that future to become possible.

The other reason I fold is even more deeply personal. Everyone has challenges in life, whether it's personal, job related, family related health related, or maybe even some form of addiction. But when everything comes crashing down on you all at the same time, that small sliver of light that emerges from my association with this community and my folding contributions gives me hope, and even comfort. As challenging as life is right now, the fact is FAH lets me focus on something I can do where I have control, where devoting my time, effort and resources has some meaning and most importantly, they are valued. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. And it makes sleep so much easier to come by. I see what we are doing, together, as a noble endeavor and I'm very proud to be part of it. The only bragging rights I give myself is knowing I'm doing the best I can to help, and in turn I'm sure you don't even realize it, but every one of you deserve bragging rights for helping me.

Thank you.
24x7 dedicated: AMD 2x 6274 32 core, Ubuntu 11.10 w/bigadv; AMD 8150 8 Core SMP, 4 x GTX 560Ti, Win7 64; Intel 4 core SMP, GTX570 & GT430, Win7 64; Intel 2 core SMP Ubuntu 11.10; Sony PS3
Folding for my Dad who suffers from Multiple Myeloma.
HuntWarrior
Hardware configuration: Windows 7 intel Ci7 2.80 Ghz + HD6700

Post by HuntWarrior »

Because I thought it could contribute much to research for HD (Huntington's Disease), but feel a bit dasapointed so far.

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20872&p=225680#p225680

Hans
The Netherlands
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

As noted in the other thread, work on HD continues. And Fah has never been a 2 year project. Solutions to complex problems take time.

I'm in it for the long term.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

7im,

I am in it for the longterm too, but prefer a bit of speed for HD families, call it impatience and you'r absolutely right!

Rome was not build in one day either and all families deserve solutions or hope for their problems.

And yes it takes time, we cann't afford, losing your wife at it in 2002 after 15 years of care and a 28 year old daughter who is sick now, NEEDS you to be as active as possible.

Hans
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Hopefully, any small contribution made by my machine(s) may someday help uplift all of mankind. Started fairly early in the project, but knew then that anything discovered will likely bear fruit long after I'm gone... maybe next lifetime.

My machines aren't crunching away to:
1) prove/justify a "cure" for catastrophic anthropogenic climate disruption
2) make a profit with some tulip- auction experiment/scheme
3) find space aliens
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

alancabler wrote:Hopefully, any small contribution made by my machine(s) may someday help uplift all of mankind. Started fairly early in the project, but knew then that anything discovered will likely bear fruit long after I'm gone... maybe next lifetime.
To the contrary, I firmly believe that drugs/cures/etc are far closer than that. F@h has already made a pretty large impact in the scientific literature. The drugs will likely be developed following publications that cite other publications that cite Folding@home's research. Someone has to do the underlying research, but whoever puts the final piece on the puzzle gets to put their name on the whole thing. At least we'll help accurate the process, which as you pointed out is not something that every distributed computing project can claim.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

For a cure to all these nasty diseases, if I live long enough I am sure I will have one also... Got introduced to it on a overclocking forum team and been doing some type of medical research with my computers since 03...
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

Hi all.
Science is a usualy long process, but there is a lot of similar things going on in several disease.
The approach in techniques can be learned from eachother inresearch for most important diseases, so yes all mentionned above is true.
I am impatient for a cure for Huntington's, as others are for Alzheimers and they DO have research similarities, so lets keep the faith and crunch on.
Still would like the idea to be able to pick your own or preferrred checkbox Wu's and yes ofcourse after those ones of your own priority, keep on (mis)folding to solve all other "enamies"