Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Huntington's?

Post by Jesse_V »

Hans,

Sorry for underestimating your knowledge. If you want to motivate people, then there are plenty of reasons to choose from. As you may be aware, Folding@home is the world's most powerful distributed computing project and its speed rivals the fastest supercomputers. It has continued to push for pioneering methods and technologies, and its focused on disease research. Out of all the entities that are working on cures for our nastiest diseases, I believe that this one has a pretty high chance of doing something amazing. Most of the produced papers describe a very challenging molecular problem and how Folding@home overcame it. However, that takes time. For the immediate feedback, there's the competitive point race, the project descriptions, (which have been improving lately) the folding.typepad.com blog for general news, and new projects announced in this forum.

It's conceivable that a menu could be developed to let you choose what you want to work on. However, it's probably more practical to have a selection of diseases rather than individual work units. Such a change would likely require modification of the client-side software, communications to the servers, server-side modifications, and coordination with all the scientists for them to click some button to mark their projects as X or Y. While its possible to develop this, there hasn't been any official announcement about it, so there's no ETA. I do know Dr. Pande considered it: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21367&start=15#p213668 but we'll just have to wait and see.

There are challenging problems for every disease, and those take time. Folding@home just happens to be focusing on Alzheimer's but like I said before there's plenty of other research going on, including for HD. Personally I'm a much of an advocate for cancer research as you are for Huntington's. IMO, a child dying from cancer is far worse than a grandparent dying from Alzheimer's. Donating money to research charities is great, but I have no idea how efficiently that money is being used, and I feel unproductive just doing nothing. With Folding@home, there's a lot more transparency so you know exactly where your effort is going: pioneering disease research.

Jesse V.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I'd like to add something to the disease selection part. It actually would be for rare diseases like Huntington's bad if such a system would be implementend.

If everyone could chose which diseases they'd like to work on, almost everyone would choose cancer and Alzheimer's. Only a small group would choose HD. Now, all CPU folders are folding the HD WU's.

Like Jesse said, an idea of preferences was discussed, and that sounds good to me. A system which make you choose a disease, like Huntington's, but doesn't guarantee you'll get HD work units. It only increases your chances of getting one. That way people will feel like they are doing more for a particualr disease, while in reality all the WU's still get folded.
HuntWarrior
Hardware configuration: Windows 7 intel Ci7 2.80 Ghz + HD6700

Post by HuntWarrior »

Jesse,

Never realised that was already discussed so widespread on the forum (was away a while) and yes sure you are right with you conclusion, but for me it is all about MOTIVATION to fold, for getting people involved in all the diseases.
I (56) think everybody's goal is to try to solve all and I do agree on checkboxes even if it does not give a guarantee that the "right" Wu's are given to them.

As I said before lack of direct news via a newspaper or with the newspapers(emailadresses would be a possibility) or via other direct means could help in that. Everybody's circumstances are not comparable (maybe better that way) and certainly not disease wise, my life has been upside down since 1986, in 2002 I lost my wife after 15 years of HD Care and now my daughter(28) has the wrecked disease. Everybody's sorrows and grief seem the worst that could have ever happened to them. In perspective 2/3 of my life includes HD. But we are not here to moan and groan, we are here to try to solve with as many people folding as possible. I am sure that there are so many people outside there in the world who have never heard about FAH and maybe a PR Project should be launched somehow. Of course prices where won and publicity was gained, but widespread the possibilities are bigger than ever held possible What about facebook, apps and the latest developments f.i.. Just recently a website was started about HD International Science in lay words, it has 80 to 90.000 hits per month for such a small disease. So informing and promoting and the motivating should be the start for more people to come folding, just a basic idea.................
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
Napoleon
Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Post by Napoleon »

JonazzDJ wrote:Like Jesse said, an idea of preferences was discussed, and that sounds good to me. A system which make you choose a disease, like Huntington's, but doesn't guarantee you'll get HD work units. It only increases your chances of getting one. That way people will feel like they are doing more for a particualr disease, while in reality all the WU's still get folded.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20297&start=30#p226992
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
equinox

Post by equinox »

@Huntwarrior
In 2010 I lost my aunt Pat to Huntingston. i stubbled upon f@h and discovered that some of the research that was being worked on involved huntingston so i joined in and started folding. In 2011 her son, who was diagnoised previousely with it began to show advanced symptoms. I shared with him f@h and asked him if he knew of it. He did because of his background. He had a master degree in some science that was way above my head but he was also in research that was related to huntingstons. he encouraged me to continue with f@h so i have. 1 year ago we said goodbye to Brad, the desease ravaged him so fast that he could no longer carry on. He ended his own life knowing he could not endure what his mother had. So I fold in their memory and if i get a wu that is connected to huntingston then i can sit back and smile and hope its the one wu that finally helps some scientist figuire it all out. i fold alone on a team that does not but that does not matter. an individual can achieve as much as team . Fold On!
HuntWarrior

Re: New poll/discussion: improving technical descriptions

Post by HuntWarrior »

Mod: moved posts from where they were off-topic to existing topic

Hello All,

I started folding for a while again after I realised that the options where implemented where to fold for in my and my teams case Huntingtington's
know it says at the optiothat there is no guarantee to get wu's from 8028, is it finished? because i do not get anymore of them, are they just SMP or also GPU ???
Do realise that the disease have a lot in comon but if there are 8028's left I would like to fold them first and then the other's randomly.
I am folding for quite some years and wife died of it (HD) and now my daughter is starting to have this horrible disease. Research info on http://en.hdbuzz.net/

Thanks

Please advice on my preference for 8028 WU's!
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

How can I make sure I can adjust FAH client to only fold 8028 24/7??
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

You can't make it so you only fold a single project or a select few projects, and I doubt you ever will, as that would enable cherry pickers and hold up lower-point projects. The cause preference is just a preference, not a guarantee. I also believe that the server code to enable cause preference weighting has not been implemented yet, so selecting anything in that field will not actually improve your chances of getting associated projects right now. There's been no mention to my knowledge of when it will be implemented.

8028 is definitely not finished, as one of my two CPUs is working on one right now and I've gotten many others in the past week on both CPUs (i7-930 and i7-3770k). It is CPU (SMP)-only. I have client-type: advanced set on both SMP slots; while it's been released to full FAH, maybe it's getting assigned more often to those running advanced. You might try setting that if you haven't already done so just in case it is showing up more often for client-type:advanced. Other than that, I can't think of anything more to improve your odds of getting HD work.
Qinsp

Post by Qinsp »

HuntWarrior wrote:How can I make sure I can adjust FAH client to only fold 8028 24/7??
I'm getting them with just SMP. No advanced or other settings. If it's any condolence, I'm folding them on pretty fast hardware for SMP, between 0:35 and 0:50 TPF. Return speed is what it's all about. It is better for P8028's to be crunched fast to move the project along quickly.

Think of it this way, the 8028's are out there. The more jobs you fold the more likely you are to get one, but more importantly, every non-8028 job is in the que as well, so when you fold another WU, it brings the 8028's up faster.
Last edited by Qinsp on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quality Inspection - Corona, CA, USA
Dimensional Inspection Laboratory
Pat McSwain, President
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As mentioned, all discussion of the Preference setting has been that it would only be a preference - not a setting that will limit what projects you will get assigned. It has not been implemented on all of the servers yet, my assumption is that would be announced when completed. As for Project 8028, it is still being assigned. The WS that handles that project has recorded a few brief periods that it has been offline in the past 24 hours, I have not looked farther back in the logs. Otherwise it has been sending and receiving hundreds of WU's every hour, some of those have been for Project 8028. My machines have processed a few dozen in the last week alone.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

Thanks for all replies!

Will keep on folding with HD preference and hoping will get some more, and cherry's they might be but I am folding for over 5 years now.

There where not to many chances to make a difference in my humble opinion....

Thanks again,

Hans
codysluder

Post by codysluder »

HuntWarrior wrote:How can I make sure I can adjust FAH client to only fold 8028 24/7??
You've already been told that this doesn't work yet and once it does, it will not be exclusively any one project. Just what do you expect the servers to do when there are no 8028 available to be assigned? No project is available 24/7 for more that the first few weeks and it's more likely just for the first few hours (until all of the WUs have been assigned to someone). There is always only one Gen of a particular trajectory. While there may be hundreds to thousands of trajectories in a project, once they're all being folded, that does mean that the server can't assign any more WUs until somebody returns a result or a lost WU expires.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

I have not been motivated to fold because of the experiences of anyone close to me - I just fold because I think it's a good thing to do.

But when I fold some of the 8028s I'll keep your wife and daughter and all other sufferers of HD in mind.

When I fold other projects and help test new methods of simulating molecular dynamics I'll keep in mind that these advances may well help improve our understanding of HD and other diseases.
HuntWarrior

Post by HuntWarrior »

Ok Thanks for the explanation Kiwi and codysludder.

Money and equipment are the biggest problem off our families but most of all research in wider perspective.
So I will have to learn to be patience as you might want to read on under mentioned HDBuzz Research site readable for everybody in non scientific articles language.
Maybe an article about FAH and HD could be send in to make people more aware of FAH?
In the mean time I realise that no other way is possible to speed-up my FAH dream.
Thanks for you answer kiwi & codysluder!