Adding a new budget system. Should it be GPU or CPU focused?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bdwilson

Adding a new budget system. Should it be GPU or CPU focused?

Post by bdwilson »

I am thinking about buuilding a cheap new sub $500 system for folding. I'm just wondering, as far as the science goes, would it be better to use a cheap processor and put most of the money in a good quality ($300+) video card, or would it be more useful to use a cheap video card and put the $$ into a high end CPU? I've heard that video cards get more points per day, but my question is..Do the points per day on CPU vs GPU accurately reflect the value of the science being done? What is more useful to the project?
Last edited by bdwilson on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
k1wi

Re: Adding a new budget system. Should it be GPU or CPU focu

Post by k1wi »

Personally I'd go with a cheaper CPU and a $300 GPU, I can't talk about beta projects and PPDs going on there, but I'm sure you can have a look and see for yourself...

Officially, the points equal the scientific value being done and the new core being developed is about making the GPU able to do everything that the CPU currently can, but with the much greater power of the GPU. That's as best a statement for where things may be headed, but of course there is no such thing as a forecast in the F@H arena!
beer

Post by beer »

if I was going to build a new system now it would look like:
ASUS B85M-G
Core i7 4770S
2 gb ram
300 wath 80 Plus Bronze
Debian stable
it gives around 20.000 points and does not consume too much electricity
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

There's been a big push recently by the researchers for GPUs, and a number of statements indicating that they really want more GPUs to be folding. GPUs deliver a significant speedup to F@h due to hardware optimizations that CPUs simply can't deliver.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
beer

Post by beer »

last time I looked at it, there were large differences in PPD / W on the GPU and CPU and then the system will run for a long time so be extra costs for electricity is also included when you buy a new system
That is why I did suggest a CPU over a GPU but Jesse_V proberbly more about this than me
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The performance pendulum appears to be swinging in the direction of the GPU at this time, but there are things on the horizon to swing it back in the direction of the CPU. Just be aware the best answer today could change a little or a lot in the future, just like it appears to be changing now. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Michael_McCord,_M.D.

Post by Michael_McCord,_M.D. »

Just like your money, it pays to diversify!
Proud to still be on Page One World!
Team MPC- in relentless pursuit of the cure.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Think very carefully about TCO not just the initial outlay. My four folding systems with five GPUs folding are costing a fortune to run. Replacing all of them with a single 7990 or Titan would increase my output and massively reduce my running costs and probably pay for the Titan within a year!
single 1070

Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

beer wrote:if I was going to build a new system now it would look like:
ASUS B85M-G
Core i7 4770S
2 gb ram
300 wath 80 Plus Bronze
Debian stable
it gives around 20.000 points and does not consume too much electricity
I would swap out that bronze PSU for a gold/platinum - will help cut down running costs.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

I would swap out that bronze PSU for a gold/platinum - will help cut down running costs.
Ditto that.

There are some very reasonably priced 450-550 watt PLAT units available. They will be extremely efficient if only running the CPU, but also allow you to run any single high end card in the future if you want to pick up the additional 100K ppd on the rig. :mrgreen:
If not, you haven't lost anything by planning ahead. The extra $20 spent on the PSU will pay for itself running the cpu client in a year or so.(verses the bronze unit) :!:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

mdk777 wrote:
Ditto that.

There are some very reasonably priced 450-550 watt PLAT units available. They will be extremely efficient if only running the CPU, but also allow you to run any single high end card in the future if you want to pick up the additional 100K ppd on the rig. :mrgreen:
If not, you haven't lost anything by planning ahead. The extra $20 spent on the PSU will pay for itself running the cpu client in a year or so.(verses the bronze unit) :!:
Indeed. There's a time to cut costs, but sometimes it's better to just pay a bit more to get a quality product that will pay for itself down the road in many different ways, as you say. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Me two, er is that 3, no 4! ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.