GPU FahCore_17 is now available on Windows & native Linux

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: GPU FahCore_17 is now available on Windows & native Linu

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 am

"When" is not so important to me, however, "will" is. Because if nVidia chooses to do so, it will lower the cards performance with regards to its PPD output. :(
Michael Jordan: “I can accept failure — But I can’t accept not trying.”
Eagle

Postby PantherX » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 am

AFAIK, the performance of OpenCL is related to the Drivers. Optimized drivers can increase the performance. However, it is up to the vendors to do such driver level optimizations. While AMD only Supports OpenCL 1.2 (so does Intel, but their iGPU isn't yet supported), Nvidia only supports OpenCL 1.1 plus CUDA too. When and if Nvidia releases their CUDA JIT compiler, we might be seeing a CUDA FahCore for Nvidia GPUs if the speedup is significant. Of course, there are many variables at work here so these are all best case scenarios.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Chrome Folding App (Beta) Ӂ Troubleshooting "Bad WUs" Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PantherX
Site Moderator

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

Of course and I - yet again - value your answer. So, I'm hoping for a release of the CUDA JIT compiler in order for FAH to check for significant performance increase and (hopefully) then releasing a CUDA-optimized FAH-core. :)
Eagle

Postby 7im » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Eagle wrote:Why's that? What would it change tomorrow, as it seems that this behavior exists for a reasonable amount of time and will exist way more than a couple of weeks?

The behavior you mentioned may be true today, but a new driver version released tomorrow could change that making your conclusion obsolete. Or the next new model of GPU could change that next week, or next month.

And what does it matter if NV uses a whole CPU, but then produces more points overall? On what criteria did you base that conclusion? Or if you think AMD is better, again, is that purely PPD? PPD/$? PPD/watt?

Please tell us why it matters one way or another, especially since it's not something that anybody at Stanford can control.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im

Postby Eagle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Well, I answered that question at the top of this page:
Eagle wrote:"When" is not so important to me, however, "will" is. Because if nVidia chooses to do so, it will lower the cards performance with regards to its PPD output. :(

So it doesn't matter to me that nVidia does OpenCL the way their cards do it right now. If that gives faster results for FAH (and hence more PPD, but I'm into pushing FAH for the good cause and PPD is just "nice to have" for me), I'm just fine with that. CPU usage doesn't matter either and I believe "WU/h" is the most important quantity, not PP*.
The sooner we get beyond all that BS of Prism, Tempora, (anti-)terror, (struggle for) money and interpersonal trouble(s), the sooner we will start focusing on the _real_ problems of mankind (like FAH does in reasonable way) - Albert Einstein once put it simply: "There is no great discoveries and advances, as long as there is an unhappy child on earth".

tl;dr: It doesn't matter. What does matter, is FAH getting WUs done and hence diseases cured.
Eagle

Postby 7im » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 pm

According to a recent post by Dr. Pande, we "will" be getting a potentially 2x performance boost in NV cards with the future release of CUDA JIT. AMD may have similar advances up their sleeve. It all gets better from here.
7im

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 am

And that is what it's all about. ;)

Since I couldn't find it on his blog, would you mind pointing me to that post? I'm especially interested in an ETA (something like "within 6 months" would be sufficient for me)..
Eagle

Postby bollix47 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:37 am

bollix47

Postby Eagle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks! :)
Eagle

Postby SPACEMAN7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm

PantherX wrote:AFAIK, the performance of OpenCL is related to the Drivers. Optimized drivers can increase the performance. However, it is up to the vendors to do such driver level optimizations. While AMD only Supports OpenCL 1.2 (so does Intel, but their iGPU isn't yet supported), Nvidia only supports OpenCL 1.1 plus CUDA too. When and if Nvidia releases their CUDA JIT compiler, we might be seeing a CUDA FahCore for Nvidia GPUs if the speedup is significant. Of course, there are many variables at work here so these are all best case scenarios.

Just a friendly heads up, the new Nvidia beta drivers (out yesterday I believe), 326.29 are supposed to support OpenGL 4.4, & if I understand it right, that's on par with OpenCL 2.0. :D I'm trying them now, & it immediately directs you to Windows Update after installation, so there's no telling what all "could" happen. ;) I know I can't run the FAHBench with them, but I also just reformatted yesterday, so it might be something I missed. It gives an error message about "MSVCP100.dll is missing". :eo :wink:
SPACEMAN7

Postby Joe_H » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 pm

OpenGL and OpenCL are two entirely different graphics standards. Supporting the OpenGL 4.4 command set will not do anything for F@H calculations requiring OpenCL.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby 7im » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 am

SPACEMAN7 wrote:
PantherX wrote:AFAIK, the performance of OpenCL is related to the Drivers. Optimized drivers can increase the performance. However, it is up to the vendors to do such driver level optimizations. While AMD only Supports OpenCL 1.2 (so does Intel, but their iGPU isn't yet supported), Nvidia only supports OpenCL 1.1 plus CUDA too. When and if Nvidia releases their CUDA JIT compiler, we might be seeing a CUDA FahCore for Nvidia GPUs if the speedup is significant. Of course, there are many variables at work here so these are all best case scenarios.

Just a friendly heads up, the new Nvidia beta drivers (out yesterday I believe), 326.29 are supposed to support OpenGL 4.4, & if I understand it right, that's on par with OpenCL 2.0. :D I'm trying them now, & it immediately directs you to Windows Update after installation, so there's no telling what all "could" happen. ;) I know I can't run the FAHBench with them, but I also just reformatted yesterday, so it might be something I missed. It gives an error message about "MSVCP100.dll is missing". :eo :wink:

326.19 was released July 18th.

Yes, you missed reading the FAHBench install notes.

Q: I get an error: “The program can’t start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
A: Please download the VC2010 C redistributables (link above)

http://www.fahbench.com/
7im

Postby JCM3500 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am

I'm running advanced methods Core 17 on an ASUS GTX 650 Ti, AMD Fx-8350 (4.21 GHz) under windows 7 64-bit on Project 7810 & 7811 work units. I am pleased with progress as both these and the previous work units behave well with low TPFs. I am not quoting these TPFs as I also sometimes share the GPUs with POEM and GPUGrid tasks. I have not yet tried this new FahCore_17 on my Sapphire HD 6670 and HD 6790, AMD 1090T (3.20 GHz) under windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks for the improved GPU FahCore_17.

John
JCM3500

Postby powerarmour » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am

Just wanted to say thanks to the team for finally bringing GPU folding to Linux with the FahCore_17

Getting great results on my single GTX 560 Ti and Ubuntu 13.04 x64 :-

powerarmour

Postby n_w95482 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 am

JCM3500 wrote:I'm running advanced methods Core 17 on an ASUS GTX 650 Ti, AMD Fx-8350 (4.21 GHz) under windows 7 64-bit on Project 7810 & 7811 work units. I am pleased with progress as both these and the previous work units behave well with low TPFs. I am not quoting these TPFs as I also sometimes share the GPUs with POEM and GPUGrid tasks. I have not yet tried this new FahCore_17 on my Sapphire HD 6670 and HD 6790, AMD 1090T (3.20 GHz) under windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks for the improved GPU FahCore_17.

John

I was just about to ask if anyone else started getting 7810/7811 WUs. I've completed at least one so far, working on another. The PPD is astounding, very low overall TPF on my GTX 680, although the TPF keeps going up and down quite a bit with nothing else going on. It's bouncing between 70788-120834 PPD and 2 minutes-1 minute 15 seconds for TPF. Looking at the logs, it looks like it's doing a minute and a half for the most part, so maybe something odd with my FAHControl.
Folding since December 2003. In memory of my mother, who lost her battle with cancer.

n_w95482

PreviousNext

Return to V7.3.6 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X