Used Only for cures, or ???

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

goldenguy89

Used Only for cures, or ???

Post by goldenguy89 »

First i would like to say i think Folding at home is a great concept and anything for better medicine and or diagnosis and prevention is always a very wonderful thing.After looking over everything and reading the FAQ for a better understanding, i really do appreciate this group and considering being apart of it. I do have a concern that i must admit somewhat bothers me, and that is while this group is for working on research for providing cures and such, what prevents it from being used maliciously like for making new diseases and viruses?
bruce

Re: Used Only for cures, or ???

Post by bruce »

One fact that you apparently have overlooked is that the Folding@home project is run, as you put it: "this group," consists of researchers at Stanford University, a very prominent US University. The reputation of the university would be on-the-line if something malicious were to happen. New research projects cannot be started by unknown 3rd parties.

A important second fact is that the research accomplished to date has been published in peer-reviewed scientific papers which are in the public domain, not as "trade secrets" of a commercial company or by any other organization that's not on the up-and-up. See http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Papers
goldenguy89

Post by goldenguy89 »

bruce wrote:One fact that you apparently have overlooked is that the Folding@home project is run, as you put it: "this group," consists of researchers at Stanford University, a very prominent US University. The reputation of the university would be on-the-line if something malicious were to happen. New research projects cannot be started by unknown 3rd parties.

A important second fact is that the research accomplished to date has been published in peer-reviewed scientific papers which are in the public domain, not as "trade secrets" of a commercial company or by any other organization that's not on the up-and-up. See http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Papers
I understand it is a very prominent US University and that the reputation could be deeply affected . What i was referring to are not projects by unknown 3rd parties, but that of say our government and or government backed research facilities that have produced these types of diseases and viruses of which some have had deadly consequences.

on the note of the second fact, regards what i said in first fact. My concern wasn't what has been produced by this Folding @home group up to date but the possibilities of the future especially if masses of people continue to grow in this newly promising technology .

Did that make my concern more clear to understand and see how it would effect my decision to join ?
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

OK, but all processes, systems, etc. and their products are at some risk of perversion/exploitation. One takes a risk by getting out of bed, crossing the street, eating and drinking, flying in a plane, etc......Given the measures outlined by Stanford, just relax and crunch!!

John
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Should we outlaw driving just because 35,000 die in accidents each year? That's 10 times the 9/11 tragedy, and we went to war over that!

The technology of transportation can be used to commit crimes but we still consider it a necessity. If you are really concerned about the world, stop driving, go vegan, and Fold for a cure. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Goldenguy, if some organization wanted to do something malicious, it may or may not need F@h's data. There is basic research on molecular processes being conducted everywhere in the world. There's also no proof that said organization would need any of that data anyway; they could discover one by accident or develop one by many other means. I fail to see any justification for that fear or any evidence that it is taking place.

How could one make a new disease? Why would protein folding data be important for "making new viruses" which aren't proteins?
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
goldenguy89

Post by goldenguy89 »

Jesse_V wrote:Goldenguy, if some organization wanted to do something malicious, it may or may not need F@h's data. There is basic research on molecular processes being conducted everywhere in the world. There's also no proof that said organization would need any of that data anyway; they could discover one by accident or develop one by many other means. I fail to see any justification for that fear or any evidence that it is taking place.

How could one make a new disease? Why would protein folding data be important for "making new viruses" which aren't proteins?
Now if we knew what causes diseases or viruses and if they are or are not made of proteins then we probably wouldn't need a cure, now would we?
Im not trying to be a butt, but there are man made viruses and diseases out there , and im not talking about the common man or woman that created them, they came from labs and research facilities.As i stated i love this concept actually, but i do have my concerns and don't want to be helping the bad at same time as fighting the bad.
goldenguy89

Post by goldenguy89 »

7im wrote:Should we outlaw driving just because 35,000 die in accidents each year? That's 10 times the 9/11 tragedy, and we went to war over that!

The technology of transportation can be used to commit crimes but we still consider it a necessity. If you are really concerned about the world, stop driving, go vegan, and Fold for a cure. ;)
JCM3500 wrote:OK, but all processes, systems, etc. and their products are at some risk of perversion/exploitation. One takes a risk by getting out of bed, crossing the street, eating and drinking, flying in a plane, etc......Given the measures outlined by Stanford, just relax and crunch!!

John
Ok, yes bad things can happen anywhere,anytime , to any given person but i am not referencing anything but research and the possibility of bad results coming out of this good fight. I would like to think this world is perfect, but in reality it is not. I consider this like a investment, i do not just sink my money into anything, nor do i make decisions or use my resources without doing my homework first.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

All technology can be used for both good or ill. But there are so many cheaper, faster, and easier routes to creating dangerous drugs, viruses and the like that those methods are much more likely to be used than F@H.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

In the US, 1 in 3 people will get some form of cancer in their lifetime, 1 in 4 will die from it.

I started folding 10 years ago. FAH didn't help save my dad from cancer last year, but it might eventually help save other members of my family. I still consider FAH a good investment.

Oppenheimer's Quandary. The technology isn't bad, it's what and how people use it, just like cars or guns. Doesn't stop me from owning both of these potentially dangerous items, and or stop me from folding.
goldenguy89

Post by goldenguy89 »

Have a nice Day! :lol:

MOU 225-07-6001

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
BETWEEN
THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
AND
THE LELAND STANDFORD JUNIOR UNIVERSITY (California)

I. Purpose:

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Stanford University (the Parties) share interests in promoting scientific progress through exchange of scientific capital in diverse fields of science that affect human and animal health and medicine. Both institutions foresee benefits from scientific training for academicians and students to foster a well-grounded foundation in interdisciplinary science on which scientific learning can grow. This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) establishes the terms for collaboration to promote these shared interests, which can be pursued through a variety of programs including collaborative research, public outreach, extension activities, cooperative international initiatives, disciplinary training, and exchange of scientists and staff, including sabbaticals, postdoctoral fellowships, and student internships.

II. Background:

FDA is authorized to enforce the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) as amended (21 U.S.C. 301). In fulfilling its responsibilities under the Act, FDA among other things, directs its activities toward promoting and protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy, and security of drugs, veterinary products, medical devices and radiological products and the safety and security of foods and cosmetics. To accomplish its mission, FDA must stay abreast of the latest developments in research and also communicate with stakeholders about complex scientific and public health issues. Increased development of research, education and outreach partnerships within Stanford University will greatly contribute to FDA’s mission.
Stanford University is recognized as one of the leading universities in the world. Multidisciplinary research and teaching are at the heart of Stanford’s initiatives on human health, the environment and sustainability, international affairs and the arts. The synthesis of teaching and research is fundamental to Stanford. Stanford is noted for multidisciplinary research within its schools and departments, as well as its independent laboratories, scientific centers and institutes.

III. Substance of Agreement:

This MOU forms the basis for development of scientific collaborations, outreach and educational initiatives and intellectual partnerships between FDA and Stanford. The types of initiatives expected to develop from this MOU include:

Advancing student education and matriculation into the health and biomedical science professions;
Opportunities for FDA staff to serve as adjunct faculty or on advisory boards;
Opportunities to convene joint meetings for education and research;
Research collaborations;
Cooperative international initiatives; and
Access to unique facilities and equipment for scientific endeavors.

Under this MOU, joint efforts will be undertaken to obtain grants and other extramural funds to support collaborative research and training as permitted under appropriate statutory authority. Before any specific collaboration is initiated or implemented, the Parties shall identify priorities, topics of mutual interest, and develop separate, written agreements for collaboration and sharing of resources. Where applicable, these agreements shall incorporate by reference this MOU. FDA may enter into a contract, grant or cooperative agreement with Stanford University to the extent authorized by law and available appropriations. The terms and conditions of any such awards will be in accordance with applicable federal law and regulations, and shall be negotiated and executed by appropriate representatives of institutions within Stanford University and FDA.

IV. General Provisions:

1.Rights to any inventions resulting from collaborative research will be determined by the separate written research agreements governing the effort, based on current U.S. Government patent regulations and any other applicable statutes and regulations.
2. Institutions within Stanford University and FDA may decide to enter into Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA) specific to particular collaborative projects. The terms of such CRADAs will address Intellectual Property rights.
3. Proprietary and/or nonpublic information will not be disclosed under this MOU, unless such disclosure is governed by appropriate confidentiality disclosure agreements or to the extent such disclosure is permitted by law.
4. Each Party will comply with the other Party's security procedures and policies regarding access to and use of facilities. Either Party may restrict or limit access to its property and facilities at any time and for any reason. Stanford University individuals participating in activities under this MOU on FDA property will comply with all applicable federal statutes and regulations.
5. It is recognized that from time to time FDA and institutions within Stanford University will be sharing in expenses and may require compensation of either Party by the other. As research projects are developed, details of how costs are to be shared will be agreed to in advance under other contractual mechanisms as appropriate and in compliance with all applicable federal requirements.

V. Resource Obligations:

This MOU represents the broad outline of the FDA and Stanford’s intent to collaborate in areas of mutual interest. It does not create binding, enforceable obligations against any Party. All activities that may be undertaken by this MOU are subject to the availability of personnel, resources, and funds. This MOU does not affect or supersede any existing or future agreements or arrangements among the Parties and does not affect the ability of the Parties to enter other agreements or arrangements related to this MOU.
VI. Liaison Officers:

FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) is the lead center for this MOU. The individual to whom all inquiries to FDA should be addressed is:

Nancy J. Pluhowski, MPA
Director, External Expertise and Partnerships
Center for Devices and Radiological Health
Food and Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, Maryland 20993-0002
301-796-6660
301-847-8510 FAX
Nancy.pluhowski@fda.hhs.gov

The individual to whom all inquiries to Stanford University should be addressed is:

Paul Yock. M.D.
Professor of Bioengineering and Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, California 94305
650-736-1160
650-724-8696 FAX
yock@stanford.edu

Each Party may designate new liaisons at any time by notifying the other Party's administrative liaison in writing. If, at any time, an individual designated as a liaison under this agreement becomes unavailable to fulfill those functions, the Parties will name a new liaison within 2 weeks and notify the other Party through the designated administrative liaison.
VII. Term, Termination, and Modification:

This agreement becomes effective upon acceptance by both Parties and will continue in effect for five (5) years. It may be renewed by mutual written agreement of both Parties. It may be modified at any time by mutual written agreement of both Parties. It may be terminated by either Party upon 60-day advance written notice to the other.

VIII.Statutes, Regulations, Rules, and Policies

This MOU and all associated agreements will be subject to the applicable statutes, regulations, rules, and policies under which FDA, Stanford University, and the institutions within Stanford University operate.

APPROVED AND ACCEPTED FOR STANFORD UNIVERSITY

Signed by:Harry Greenberg, M.D.
Senior Associate Dean for Research
Stanford University School of Medicine Director

Date: 1/12/2012

APPROVED AND ACCEPTED FOR FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION

Signed by:Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., J.D.

Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health

Date: 1/12/2012

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Partnership ... 318255.htm
Last edited by goldenguy89 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
7im

Post by 7im »

Standard boiler plate stuff. All the big companies have basic agreements with all the big universities. Was that supposed to be incriminating in some way? :roll: