GTX 780 & Core 17 problems

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though NVidia has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bollix47

Re: GTX 780 & Core 17 problems

Post by bollix47 »

Nvidia is looking into the issue:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 6/#3887136
Grendel
Hardware configuration: Q6600, Q9560 + GTX 660, i7-3770K + GTX 760

Post by Grendel »

Looks like the next WHQL driver may fix it -- from here:
ManuelG wrote:Some outstanding bugs still open in next BETA driver [326.41] (but will be in WHQL driver):
[..] GPU TDRs after 36 hours of idle - Investigating however we believe we may understand the cause
DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 3070

Post by DocJonz »

Thanks for the update - look forward to the fix!!
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

If you'd rather not wait for NV to fix this "soon?" Here is a link how to modify the v314.xx drivers to support any newer GPU model, and this is reported and confirmed to not have the 36 hour TDR/crash/BSOD problem.

I downloaded the 314.22 drivers and let it try to install and fail (no supported hardware, of course). Then I opened the nv_disp.inf file for both versions (320 and 314). Then I copied all the lines with my hardware type (GTX 760, PCI ID 1187) from the newer version to the older version of the .inf file. In the link above, it explains you really only need the one line of code, but I wanted to be thorough (avoid a dumb mistake). Saved the .inf file.

Driver setup for 314 worked like a champ. I am running this driver for my 760. We'll see if that helps with the rebooting problem on this system.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Whoa! Not so champ. I read this works for some people, but also where some 7xx users rebooted after the driver mod, and the system came up to the Windows login screen, then went to a black screen. So I rebooted, and that's what happened to me as well. To fix, I booted in to safe mode, removed the 314 drivers, rebooted to normal mode, and reinstalled the 320 drivers. Oh well.
DocJonz

Post by DocJonz »

7im - thanks for the advice. If I get chance, I might try it this weekend on one of the machines.
7im

Post by 7im »

Maybe if I followed the linked guide to the letter, and only updated as defined it might work better. IDK.

A scheduled task to reboot the computer once a day seems to work just as well for some people. I just didn't want to lose 2 minutes of folding every morning. ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:Maybe if I followed the linked guide to the letter, and only updated as defined it might work better. IDK.

A scheduled task to reboot the computer once a day seems to work just as well for some people. I just didn't want to lose 2 minutes of folding every morning. ;)
Two minutes per day is a lot cheaper than a hung WU that you don't happen to notice for a while.
7im

Post by 7im »

DocJonz wrote:7im - thanks for the advice. If I get chance, I might try it this weekend on one of the machines.
Make sure you have a good restore point. Just in case. ;)
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

I was able to get 314.22 working in Windows 7 on my 780 without the reboot problem. Removed the current drivers via Control Panel, rebooted, ran the setup for 314.22 (custom install just the drivers and checked the clean install box) with the revised .inf file and all worked fine with one exception. The PPD using these older drivers was roughly 10% lower versus running with the latest drivers from xorg edgers in Linux. The reboot seemed like it was worth the small delay so I'm back to Ubuntu 13.04.

I created a small script file to pause folding 1 minute before the scheduled reboot and another script to auto start folding after the reboot:

fah_pause.bat

Code: Select all

{ echo "pause"; sleep 1; } | telnet localhost 36330
fah_start.bat (added to Startup Applications with full path /home/username/fah_start.bat in the command line ... I prefer to run fah from a sub-folder of my home so if you choose to try this adjust according to how you start). Obviously if you're running folding as a service this is not needed since the service will start the client automatically after a reboot.

cd /home/username/fah
xterm -e FAHClient
Make both scripts executable:

chmod +x fah_pause.bat
chmod +x fah_start.bat
My system already had xterm installed but if it's absent:

sudo apt-get install xterm
I installed gnome-schedule to create the two crontab entries to run the pause script (/home/username/fah_pause.bat) and the reboot (/sbin/reboot). This could be done via editing your root's crontab but I prefer a GUI. :roll:

sudo apt-get install gnome-schedule
gksudo gnome-schedule
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

bollix47 wrote:I've had a similar experience with my gtx 780(no o/c ... temps/power fine). Using the 32x.xx drivers(including the latest beta) every 36-48 hours I'd notice a mild drop in PPD and, if I didn't reboot as soon as I noticed the drop, the computer would eventually freeze up and I had to do a hard reboot(never lost a WU).
What I'm doing now to avoid the problem is to reboot the system daily. End of problems. No slow downs and no freezing. The consensus on the web appears to be that this is driver related and hopefully it will be fixed by Nvidia soon.
I have the same behavior with my GTX 780 on Win7 64bit. I have bypassed the password log-in, and so the machine just reboots itself and things get up and running again on their own. But a pain, nonetheless.
DocJonz

Post by DocJonz »

7im wrote:If you'd rather not wait for NV to fix this "soon?" Here is a link how to modify the v314.xx drivers to support any newer GPU model, and this is reported and confirmed to not have the 36 hour TDR/crash/BSOD problem.
Given nVidia's lack of a fix thus far, I've followed the link you posted and modded the 314.22 drivers ... all being well, I'll be back to hassle-free Folding :D
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

The fix has been found and will be in the next WHQL driver update.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 8/#3889648
DocJonz

Post by DocJonz »

Thanks for the update.
(The mods to the 314.22 driver is working well for me :D ).
7im

Post by 7im »

DocJonz wrote:Thanks for the update.
(The mods to the 314.22 driver is working well for me :D ).
Any loss in PPD with the older driver?