GPU MAX temperature?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Pearskin

GPU MAX temperature?

Post by Pearskin »

What is the Maximum Temperature I can run my GPU at and How long can I run it at below maximum temperature?
At FULL FOLDING POWER my CPU is running at 43 degrees Celsius and my GPU is running at 74 Degrees Celsius.
Are those temperatures nominal?
cokeman54

Re: GPU MAX temperature?

Post by cokeman54 »

CPU looks good but need more info on GPU. AMD or Nvidia and what GPU is it?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Each GPU has a maximum temperature, there generally isn't a cap across the board. If you post what graphics card you have, we could look it up for you.
If you don't know how to get that information, a program like Piriform Speccy can help, but since you have the temperatures you probably have that information in whatever program you're already using.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

Both brands start throttling at about 100C.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900
KWSN_PToT
Hardware configuration: ========== RIG #0 ==========
Sony PS3
========== RIG #1 ==========
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE
MEM: OCZ 8GB DDR3 (4x2GB)
GPU: ASUS GTX-560ti (448 core)
GPU: ASUS GTX-560ti (384 core)
PSU: Thermaltake 1200W
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
========== RIG #2 ==========
CPU: AMD FX-8120
MEM: Crucial 8GB DDR3 (4x2GB)
GPU: MSI GTX-560ti (384 core)
PSU: DiabloTek 600W
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
========== RIG #3 ==========
CPU: AMD FX-8150
MEM: Corsair 32GB DDR3 (4x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GTX-690 (3072 core)
PSU: OCZ 1250W 80-Plus Gold
SSD: OCZ Vertex-4 256GB
HDD: (2) Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM

Post by KWSN_PToT »

Managing GPU temps are a little tricky, since some WUs will run noticeably hotter than others.
But when your GPUs start to consistently approach 90c, you had better dial-it-back a little.
The good news is that newer GPUs tend to have a better TDP (thermal design parameters) - they will run faster & cooler.

I currently run these GPUs:
  • Two GTX-690 (functioning as four GTX-680s)
  • One GTX-770
  • Two GTX-660ti
Here's the things I do for keeping GPUs in good working condition...
  • For the expensive GPUs - I register them on the Mfgr's website (I usually prefer to buy the mfgr's extended warranty directly on their site, too [a little extra $$])!
  • Install and use the GPU as-is for the first 4-6 months.
  • Every 2-3 months, I shutdown the system, and give it a thorough cleaning to remove dust, etc.
  • Every 6-9 months, I carefully take the GPU apart and replace the thermal compound between the GPU chip and the heatsink!
WARNING: If you take your GPU apart and don't know what your actually doing (re-thermaling) - you've likely voided any mfgr's warranty and you probably will have turned your GPU into an expensive techno-brick!
There are a number of videos on YouTube or Vimeo that demonstrate how to properly re-thermal a video-card (GPU) - watch at least 4 of them before you attempt this yourself.
Make sure you use a "non-curing thermal grease" (avoid Arctic Silver - it dries-out rather quickly and becomes a heat-insulator rather than a heat-conductor).
My personal preference is for SiiG or Antec, but I can't find anything necessarily wrong with Ceramique (the white stuff).
It is usually pragmatic to do this at least once. I have found that the original thermal compound (by the mfgr) is far too thick and seems to have been applied by a blind stone-mason troweling on brick-mortar. It needs to be replaced after the first 6-9 month as-is break-in period.

Other than the occasional cleanings, driver & OS updates, etc... keep your system running 24x7 (or as close to it as you can)
Why? - Frequent, wide-temp swings can cause damage (heat stress) to GPU, CPU, and various mobo components - wearing them out more quickly than running them constantly/consistently.

Hope this helps - and welcome to the Crunch-Bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Wow, good advice there. I wish it was easier to disassemble a graphics card though, that's certainly an expert option. Some cards are difficult to get apart, and it is an involved process. It's been my experience that removing dust on occasion is one of the biggest things you can do to counter heat.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

I'm not brave enough to take my 780 apart ... I build my own PCs, that's fine. But GPU looks like an own animal. I wish I would be brave enough. Would love to water-cool it myself and get more cooler points out of it. The 780 runs easy to 80C before the stock fan start really working
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

You can easily change the fan profile to ramp up sooner, and/or higher, using apps like PrecisionX.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

I'm not brave enough to take my 780 apart ... I build my own PCs, that's fine. But GPU looks like an own animal. I wish I would be brave enough. Would love to water-cool it myself and get more cooler points out of it. The 780 runs easy to 80C before the stock fan start really working
If you can put paste on a CPU, you can do the same on a GPU. :wink:
You just need some extra small jeweler screw drivers and good reading glasses. (for us old and starting to go blind old timers)
It is usually pragmatic to do this at least once. I have found that the original thermal compound (by the mfgr) is far too thick and seems to have been applied by a blind stone-mason troweling on brick-mortar. It needs to be replaced after the first 6-9 month as-is break-in period.
Varies by OEM and model.
Over the years it has certainly gotten better on high end cards. The last few I have checked have used low viscosity TIM of very high quality. (You buy a $550 to $1000 GPU and you certainly would expect as much. :lol: )

But on high end cards like the 780, the air coolers are pretty well made. Like 7IM says, it is easy to modify the fan profile to add some extra margin of safety.
Pulling the shrouds really aids in getting the cooling fins dust blown out periodically.
How often depends on your dust(pet) load. :mrgreen: :lol:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
bruce

Post by bruce »

mdk777 wrote:You just need some extra small jeweler screw drivers and good reading glasses. (for us old and starting to go blind old timers)
Has anybody tried those glasses the surgeons sometimes use that look like a pair of eye-loupes?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

bruce wrote:
mdk777 wrote:You just need some extra small jeweler screw drivers and good reading glasses. (for us old and starting to go blind old timers)
Has anybody tried those glasses the surgeons sometimes use that look like a pair of eye-loupes?
Can those even be obtained by common-folk? ;)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

U can find anything on interweb
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
orion
Hardware configuration: 4p/4 MC ES @ 3.0GHz/32GB
4p/4x6128 @ 2.47GHz/32GB
2p/2 IL ES @ 2.7GHz/16GB
1p/8150/8GB
1p/1090T/4GB

Post by orion »

Just google surgeon magnifying glasses, they're all over the place.
iustus quia...