So did we Help in this possible Alzheimers cure

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

So did we Help in this possible Alzheimers cure

Post by Grandpa_01 »

They mention proteins miss folding in the article and I was just wondering if some of the folding we do may have been used in their research.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24462699
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
RMouse

Re: So did we Help in this possible Alzheimers cure

Post by RMouse »

Great question. Is any other research group doing as much to study protein folding as the Pande Group? Hard to imagine anyone else with as much CPU power as this one.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

There are many other groups of researchers that are studying protein folding, the PG is not the only one. Some of those teams have their own cluster. IBM's BlueGene and D.E. Shaw's Anton are other powerful computer systems that those teams use. Some prefer to focus on experiments in the lab rather than computers. There are many ways to get results.

I do not have access to the full article, so I can't look up how they are studying things. One of the jobs of a scientist is to be up-to-date with the scientific discoveries of others in the field and whether or not someone else has produced something that could be a help to them. (You see this in other fields too, a famous proof in mathematics was only possible because of the connections provided by others.) Now, I don't know if the University of Leicester team has heard of the team at Stanford and F@h, but it is likely that they have. It would not surprise me that they've read each others' papers.

It's important to note that the BBC picked up on the "this is a turning point" headline based on the opinion of one scientist. (We see headlines like this about once or twice a year.) I am really impressed by their discovery, and I can see why they are so excited, but I would really like to see how the scientific community reacts to this discovery, and how many citations the paper gains over time. That would be a truer test of the impact in my mind.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
bruce

Post by bruce »

The news report on BBC World News talked about prions and plaques and tangles in the brain. FAH is studying how/why they form and (probably) evaluating specific drugs mathematically. The University of Leicester study was a lab study of Mice. Studies in silico, in vivo, and in vitro are each best for different things and the ultimate answers most certainly come from a combination of studies.

At this point, the clinical trial in mice is a very important step, but until there's a successful clinical trial in humans, it's only one step in a long path. FAH may have contributed one or more earlier steps and still may contribute future steps but Jesse_V's reference to Fermat's Last Theorem is a very apt example of how science works.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

It is always nice to see a direct link from what we do to the final solution but in science that is not always visible. There are far too many people doing too many things for that expectation to be realistic. All those scientific failures, validation experiments, and side tracks all matter for if they were not there the actual solution might not have been found or found at a much later date. It is all nice and fine to be inside the direct line of the ending solution but I for one do not require that from my donation.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

P5-133XL wrote:It is always nice to see a direct link from what we do to the final solution but in science that is not always visible. There are far too many people doing too many things for that expectation to be realistic. All those scientific failures, validation experiments, and side tracks all matter for if they were not there the actual solution might not have been found or found at a much later date. It is all nice and fine to be inside the direct line of the ending solution but I for one do not require that from my donation.
That's well said.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

Is there any Alzheimer's research available on FAH at this time? I have not seen any for months.....

Thanks,

John