Fahcore_17 lags computer

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

monkeyclaw
Hardware configuration: R9 280x and a 4770K

Fahcore_17 lags computer

Post by monkeyclaw »

Hello! I have searched this forum (Problems with AMD/ATI drivers) and I couldn't find any threads on this, so I apologize if this has been discussed.

I have a Radeon HD 6970 with 13.9 release drivers. Whenever a new GPU core, Fahcore_17 that is still in advanced testing before it is officially released I believe, is running, my entire computer environment is just slightly laggy. As I type these words, I can see the lag because it makes the cursor hang and stutter. It is most noticeable if I am watching any type of video, on the internet or local, because it just turns it out all choppy. Not a consistent choppiness, just a stutter every 1 to 3 seconds.

I remember when I first tried Fahcore17 with 13.4 drivers, and before when it was just in beta, I did not notice so much screen lag/stutter.

Do certain drivers help? Is there anything I can do to mitigate the screen lag while the GPU slot is folding?

Thanks in advance!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Fahcore_17 lags computer

Post by 7im »

Unlike CPUs that were designed to prioritize workloads, GPUs are first come first served and don't share well.

Driver versions can change this slightly, but not entirely and are not the answer. Depending on the browser, try disabling GPU acceleration in the settings. But that may not help with videos.

Alternately, set the GPU from full to medium power, and it will only fold when the system is idle. It will only activate when either the fah screensaver is set to engage, or if no screensaver, when the monitor powers down in to saver mode.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

Certain drivers can help, but the problem will still be there. There's not much F@h can do about this, it's something inherit to the design of GPUs. Systems that use GPUs assume that the GPU is at idle most of the time, and when it is used, only one application is using it. A video game can be safely written under this assumption: the renderer assumes that it has exclusive access to the GPU, so it can just send it all the work it wants. The renderer for the screen is the same way. Unfortunately, this assumption breaks down under GPGPU, where the GPU is used for general-purpose tasks (such as folding) and then the lag makes it obvious that GPUs don't have the advanced scheduling algorithms and interrupt instructions that CPUs do. It may not be worth it for a GPU manufacturer to fix this, and it may not even be possible. There is little F@h can do about it though. The best solution we've come up with is to introduce the Folding Power slider, which allows you to dial back the GPU utilization such that folding will only run on your GPU when your system is idle. Then F@h will have exclusive access to the GPU, and you won't have any lag problems. As soon as you use your computer again, folding becomes paused. It's a bit of a tradeoff between utilization/PPD and lag.

Here are some links that you might find helpful:
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/fa ... ion/#ntoc3
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/fa ... ate/#ntoc5
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
monkeyclaw

Post by monkeyclaw »

Thanks for the very detailed and informative replies!

I have been folding for about 7 years now, and I have been an ATi (or AMD) user for that entire time, so I am very glad to see these new gpu units come around that seem to even the playing field. The new V7 client that was introduced a long while back is very nice too, much easier to use the slider than click home-made service commands shortcuts to stop and start the GPU Client.

It is unfortunate that with the new core17 comes the price of it actually demanding ALL of the attention of the GPU! But from what you are saying, it seems like this is more of the inherent nature of GPUs and not much that can be solved through code or from F@H's side. This is a bummer, as I have been a 24/7 folder for many years now and I hate to turn things off because of lag, and am used to only having to do this during serious gaming.

So thanks for the info! My only question that remains is: why did the old GPU units for AMD/ATi not lag out the screen at all? Was it because of just how inefficient it was?

Thanks again!!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

monkeyclaw wrote:So thanks for the info! My only question that remains is: why did the old GPU units for AMD/ATi not lag out the screen at all? Was it because of just how inefficient it was?
The old workunits used older FahCores which used different GPGPU APIs. FahCore 17 uses OpenCL on both Nvidia and AMD/ATi GPUs. Over time we'll see that core become the dominating core for GPU work, mainly because it has a cleaner and more universal codebase, which makes it easier for the researchers to maintain and use. Different APIs use the GPU in different ways. The lag will depend on the workunit, the driver, and the GPU, so it's kind of hard to say for sure.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Was it because of just how inefficient it was?
yes.

while annoying...simply moving the folding control slider to free up the GPU when you need it is the only solution now.
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

If you want your GPU to automatically pause when using your system while the CPU continues to fold in the background, you can do it with the following configuration:

Set the power level to full to ensure that the CPU folds 24/7
Open Advanced Control (AKA FAHControl) -> Configure -> Slots Tab -> GPU -> Under the Extra slot Options, enter the following:
Name: idle
Value: true

With this set-up, the GPU will only fold when the system is idle.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
monkeyclaw

Post by monkeyclaw »

Okay cool. One last question: Is there any way to make sure it makes a checkpoint before you pause/stop a work unit? Right now it seems like the only way is to decrease the slider that tells it to make a checkpoint, but it says it decreases performance... by how much?

I have noticed that when I paused before, it sometimes goes back a percent or two, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a checkpoint automatically when paused. Is there a way to make a checkpoint manually?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Unfortunately there is no way to initiate a checkpoint manually. When a checkpoint is taken depends on which folding core is being used. Some cores write a checkpoint at a predetermined time interval that can be set in the client. Others do so on completing a frame, 1%, and in the case of Core_17 every 2%.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
monkeyclaw

Post by monkeyclaw »

Okay, good to know. Thanks everyone for the answers to my many questions =)