Noob with installation and configuration questions

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

luvmywife

Noob with installation and configuration questions

Post by luvmywife »

Installed successfully and using the v 7.3.5 x86 version.

1. Windows 7 home computer. My wife is the Admin account with password. I am just another user account. I install under my user account-it asks for admin password and I enter it, then it takes me to my wife's admin account. How can I install under my account and keep it in my account?

2. Not quite sure how this all works--I have installed the software but each time I log off or restart the computer, it seems I have to reinstall. I click on Start/all programs and Folding@home is not listed as an installed program. Therefore, I click on the fah_installer again to reinstall to make it run. Isn't there a way to just run the program without reinstalling each time?

3. How do I force folding@home to keep runnning when the computer goes into standby/sleep/hybernate mode? (Or does it do that anyway?)

Thanks,
Jim Saunders
Hardware configuration: A: i5 + 2 GTX 660
B: i5 + 2 GTX 670
C: i7 + GTX670

Re: Noob with installation and configuration questions

Post by Jim Saunders »

Hi, I'm not quite sure how to answer 1 and 2 without walking through what you've done myself, but for #3 your computer needs to stay on to fold. If you don't get a solid answer to your first two I'll try it and see what I can get.

Jim
Good science and heat for my basement you say?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

There is a bug in the current V7 client installer for Windows 7. It puts the shortcut to start FAH in the Administrators account instead of the User account that installed the software.

Copy the shortcut from the Startup folder under the Admin account to the Startup folder under the User account. That should fix 1 and 2.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
luvmywife

Post by luvmywife »

Jim Saunders wrote:Hi, I'm not quite sure how to answer 1 and 2 without walking through what you've done myself, but for #3 your computer needs to stay on to fold. If you don't get a solid answer to your first two I'll try it and see what I can get.

Jim
I guess I don't know what "stay on" means. If I don't turn the computer off it "stays on". Will FAH continue to run when the computer goes into standby mode or sleep mode or whatever it does? If not, how do I force a windows computer to not go into some kind of power saving mode?
Jim Saunders
Hardware configuration: A: i5 + 2 GTX 660
B: i5 + 2 GTX 670
C: i7 + GTX670

Post by Jim Saunders »

luvmywife wrote:I guess I don't know what "stay on" means. If I don't turn the computer off it "stays on". Will FAH continue to run when the computer goes into standby mode or sleep mode or whatever it does? If not, how do I force a windows computer to not go into some kind of power saving mode?
On as in it's normal power-on state. If you want to change it so it doesn't go into sleep mode (and thus stop folding), then Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options. Click on the "Change plan settings" beside whichever plan you use currently. Go to the dropdown list for "Put the computer to sleep" and select Never. Hit save.

Jim

Mod Edit: Fixed Quote Tags - PantherX
Good science and heat for my basement you say?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum luvmywife,

Assuming that you are folding on the CPU and would like to do so 24/7 regardless of who is logged on, my I suggest that you perform a service installation? With a service installation, F@H will run on the CPU without the need to log-on. As long as the system is powered on, it will fold. I have 2 non-dedicated systems set-up like this and haven't encountered any issues at all.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
luvmywife

Post by luvmywife »

7im wrote:Copy the shortcut from the Startup folder under the Admin account to the Startup folder under the User account.
Forgive me for being dense, but how do I do the above?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Login as admin acccount.
Start, All Programs, Startup Folder, right click Folding@home, select copy.
Paste it to a convenient folder on your computer.

Login as the user, and copy the shortcut.
Start, All Programs, Startup Folder, right click to explore.
Paste shortcut in to the Window that opened.

The full path to the file is
c:\Users\[your admin account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup

Then copy it to
c:\Users\[your user account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
gimpy

Post by gimpy »

If your wife would allow: Could you be made an administrator? Or your account given admin privledges? If not can you re-install under her administrator account (wife,boss etc.) and set for "anyone users this computer" or similar. Your problem is windows permissions. If wife "administrator" with admin privlidges and you "just user" You have no overall permission to do anything on computer,ever.She allows you to surf net,spreadsheets etc. but not "admin" of P.C. i.e. change way/how it operates If wife would give you admin rights you can re-install under yours. If wife won't do that you have no hope. Know you got many answers to fix but I understand none of them.Bottom line-If a program NEEDS admin rights to run.....then you need be made an admin. Make sense? Windows set that way so small children or inept,sharing P.C. can make no decisions.Hope wife lets you.And best wishes on your marriage.Just don't mess up or WHIP! lol Good luck
gimpy

Post by gimpy »

7im wrote:Login as admin acccount.
Start, All Programs, Startup Folder, right click Folding@home, select copy.
Paste it to a convenient folder on your computer.

Login as the user, and copy the shortcut.
Start, All Programs, Startup Folder, right click to explore.
Paste shortcut in to the Window that opened.

The full path to the file is
c:\Users\[your admin account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup

Then copy it to
c:\Users\[your user account name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
I think you missed: wife admin? If wife gave admin privledges there is not problem. Wife limited his role in P.C. use. No? see? or I miss something? He "just user" Not admin? no privledges? Not easier if wife released control of P.C. so he could use it? I don't BELIEVE this a F@H question at all. Think someone can't gain access to a P.C in his home.? "ILOVEMYWIFE"? 14-17 y.o.? Seeking way gain control P.C.? I could be wrong,it happened just....1972
bruce

Post by bruce »

Installing for all users is probably the problem. Here's an alternative:

Suppose that most of the time you log on as "User1" (a non-admin account) and plan to run FAH yourself from that account. Use the express install (which used to be called "Just for me") The installation will give you what you want without copying anything. It will, however, ask you for the Admin password when it gets ready to write FAH's programs into C:\Program Files. As long as you know the Admin password, you do not need to log on as the Admin -- and as far as the installation is concerned, it's a better way to do it anyway.
7im

Post by 7im »

No, gimpy, fah does NOT require admin rights to run. Just to install it.
gimpy

Post by gimpy »

Thanks 7im I mis-read. But question still in my mind WHY wife admin and doesn't allow him? Still sounds like someone trying use anothers computer to me. Tear me apart on my logic here. I enjoy debate. Why can't a "husband". Have admin right on P.C.? "Ilovemywife" remember? Still sounds like someone trying use anothers P.C. but I'm usually wrong. Hope you all tell him HOW to use P.C. which OBVIOUSLY isn't his. Go for it! Why doesn't he have admin rights to wife? DUH
7im

Post by 7im »

Again, this is not a user issue but a fah installer issue. He is not forbidden to be admin, he just doesn't know how to find the shortcut to make a copy.