Folding In the News

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RMouse

Folding In the News

Post by RMouse »

Samsung phones are now doing some kind of folding @ home style research and in the article explaining this, Folding @ home gets a mention!

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/ ... 23783.html
bruce

Re: Folding In the News

Post by bruce »

I commend them for using an alarm clock as a front-end. Nobody who downloads that app is going to expect anything like FAHViewer. They probably don't even encourage completion by awarding points. (A front-end like that would greatly simplify the function of this forum if the only complaints we ever got were that the alarm wasn't loud enough to wake you up. :D )

Seriously, though, I doubt the claimed similarity makes mathematical sense. Digesting and sorting great quantities of data is (most likely) a lot simpler than actually generating new data based on an every atom simulation. See comments here about floating point vs. integer calculations as well as about coffee makers and calculators.

Nevertheless, the trend of the typical @home person replacing their home computer with a phone/tablet will continue and if all a person ever does with their home computer is to connect to the internet/send email/run mapquest/etc. there's little doubt in my mind that that person doesn't need a home computer at all. Eventually they'll replace the one they might have now with a tablet or phone. How, when, and if FAH ever downsizes to match that trend, it's going to be interesting.

Tonight's business news mentioned HP. Sales to businesses INCREASED. Sales of home computers DECREASED.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Folding In the News

Post by PantherX »

bruce wrote:...How, when, and if FAH ever downsizes to match that trend, it's going to be interesting...
I always envisioned that F@H would expand its scope to include such devices while still supporting the computationally intensive aspect. AFAIK, there will always be gamers who demand the best visual experience and thus, high-end GPUs will exist for quite sometime (http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/more_t ... games.html). It may evolve into other devices but the concept of it being a high-end GPU that can perform computationally intensive tasks will remain for quite a while.

Maybe the future can be something like this for F@H:
1) F@H - Light Mode aims at data sorting/digesting.
For devices that are portable in nature. There could be billions of these devices that work for short time periods across the globe.

2) F@H - Heavy Mode aims at data generation.
For devices that aren't portable in nature. There could be thousands/millions of these devices that work for extended period across the globe.

BTW, not sure about this Android App but I do know that SIMAP (which this App uses) does award points (http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/top_users.php).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues