Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

F@H's Recent Work On Cancer

Post by PantherX »

I read Part 1 (https://folding.stanford.edu/home/a-dis ... -overview/) and it was well written and easy to comprehend for a non-technical person.

While Part 2 (https://folding.stanford.edu/home/a-dis ... l-details/) had more technical details, I think that there is a missing symbol in this sentence:
We found out for the first time that the time (106 s) it takes to tansit from inactive state to active state (activation) is about five times longer than the time (21 s) it takes for the reverse process (deactivation).
The unit of time given is seconds so initially, I thought that it was 106 seconds and 21 seconds respectively but later in the article, this is stated:
The time it takes for c-src to transit from inactive state to active state is around one tenth of a thousandth of a second,16 which is quite a long time on the atomic scale.
So now, it got me thinking that rather than 106 seconds (106 s), does it actually mean 106 microseconds (106 μs) and 21 seconds (21 s) actually mean 21 microseconds (21 μs).

Would appreciate a clarification.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: F@H's Recent Work On Cancer

Post by Jesse_V »

Nice!
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Really nice; a great start.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Just out of curiosity: what projects we folded where part of this ?
ImageImage
JC.Wu
Pande Group Member

Post by JC.Wu »

Hi PantherX. Good eye! You are right. When the docx document that I emailed to Dr. Pande is downloaded and opened up in Microsoft Word it shows as μs not s. If it's just opened on the browser, the μ is missing. I didn't notice that until just now. Next time I'll figure out a way to make it consistently show up. Sorry about the confusion.
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

Try copy and pst from word to notepad then post it. That has worked for me in the past with similar problem.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
trench

Post by trench »

I've just read the post, and as a person with a non-biomedical background this post really got me excited! From what I understand, F@H has analyzed the protein c-src, which is most commonly found and required by cancer cells, and has found a location where it can be bound to, to prevent it from ever becoming active - thus turning it off. What's next in the process? Is a drug now under development? Isn't this a holy grail of cancer research? Perhaps I'm getting over excited.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

trench wrote:I've just read the post, and as a person with a non-biomedical background this post really got me excited! From what I understand, F@H has analyzed the protein c-src, which is most commonly found and required by cancer cells, and has found a location where it can be bound to, to prevent it from ever becoming active - thus turning it off. What's next in the process? Is a drug now under development? Isn't this a holy grail of cancer research? Perhaps I'm getting over excited.
I believe the phrase would be "cautiously optimistic". Remember that developing a drug is a slow and lengthy process, and there's a lot to do. Key to it is understanding a mechanism by which it could work, but that's one of the first steps in the process. This certainly is promising and exciting, but there's a ways to go yet. This is not the only research route against cancer, but it certainly is one of them. :)
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
ChristianVirtual

My guess also would be still some years to go until an approved drug is available. I'm not too familiar with the development of drugs but one of the next steps is to confirm the mechanism, develop/find the active compound(s) using the mechanism to prevent cancer cells grow, formulate a drug, make several phases of clinical trials, convince the officials about the data and get it approved. Finally a drug can be produced and shipped to the patients. Lots data, lots paper, lots money.
But if it can safe a life, it's good invested effort.
ImageImage
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Thanks for the clarification, JC.Wu.

You could try saving it as a PDF file which is possible from Word 2010 and Word 2013 so in theory, it should be displayed properly in any application supporting PDF file.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

Already here something concrete in the fight against cancer based on immunotherapy.

http://ercbelgium.com/main/

Clinical trials are underway in the USA some patients with glioblastoma grade 4 with a very low life expectancy were saved and are currently alive.

The majority of folding@home anti-cancer projects try to understand why the immune system is ineffective against cancer cells

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Am I correct when I think these studies are related to Gleevec and Tasigna, two cancer products from Novartis (and thus a form of leukemia)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imatinib
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasigna
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

This is not quite the same thing Gleevec and Tasigna are tyrosine kinase inhibitor

The Gliovac based on the principle of the vaccine and the aim is to provide an immune response based on allogeneic and syngeneic cells.

This principle is applicable to other cancer.

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
Alan C. Lawhon

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

I have been studying cancer, so this thread caught my attention. I have a group of database programming friends who I have been trying (without a lot of success) to persuade to join FAH. (Of a group of 20-30 potential [new] folders, I have persuaded one to join - but he's a good one as he has 2-3 machines that he has crunching 24/7.) One of the members of the group recently posted concerning a relative who has come down with cancer. Putting all this together, I posted the following to the message board.

<begin>

Most of you are aware that Gary Kjos and I both participate in Stanford Medical School's "Folding@Home" protein folding project - which is the largest distributed computing project in the world. A question I'm sure some of you have is something along the lines of: "Well what does it mean? What does Folding@Home actually do - and what difference would my participation make?" Good questions - and here are the answers.

Most of us (if not all of us) are aware of a friend or loved one who has been impacted by cancer. One of the diseases that FAH studies and attempts to understand is cancer. Recently there has been a promising discovery in cancer research (involving a specific protein) made possible by a FAH simulation. Here are the details of this breakthrough. (The first link is a "non-technical" explanation of the discovery while the second link provides greater technical detail.)

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/a-dis ... -overview/

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/a-dis ... l-details/

The contributions of unused computer cycles by everyday people (like you and I) is what made this discovery possible. Hopefully, with more participation, scourges like cancer (and other diseases) will one day be a thing of the past.

<end>

Good news like this is what will help us "spread the word" about FAH and hopefully recruit many new folders! (I'll be sure to report the good news if more of my database friends join up.)

Alan
Alan C. Lawhon

Post by Alan C. Lawhon »

Here's an interesting article on a new approach to fighting cancer.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/ ... ormation-3

There's a passing reference in this article to "computer technology" and the role it has played in this advance - especially with respect to simulations aiding new drug development. I wonder if folding simulations done by FAH contributed to the development of the AG-221 drug?