FAH and Antibiotic Resistance

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Nert

FAH and Antibiotic Resistance

Post by Nert »

I just came across an interesting article describing a new approach to attack antibiotic resistance. Here's a link to the article:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/destro ... ce-forever

Here's a quote from the article:
"Seven LPS transport proteins form a trans-envelope protein complex responsible for the transport of LPS from the inner membrane to the outer membrane, the mechanism for which is poorly understood," the study reports. "LptE [one of the transport proteins] adopts a roll-like structure located inside the barrel of LptD to form an unprecedented two-protein 'barrel and plug' architecture," that allows membrane building materials out, but prevents drugs or damaging immune system agents from getting it.
I don't really understand the science here, but I do recognize that a key mechanism involved in antibiotic resistance has a protein component that is poorly understood. Antibiotic resistance is an imminent threat to almost everyone, and it's getting worse every day.

Is this area of research one where FAH could help out ?
JimF

Re: FAH and Antibiotic Resistance

Post by JimF »

That looks worthwhile. It is the type of thing that drug companies are reluctant to spend research money on because there are not large payoffs for antibiotics, since they are taken for only a short period of time. If it is the type of thing where you can attack the seven LPS transport proteins by inducing mis-folding for example, then that could be a great thing. But the experts will need to take over from here.
Nert

Post by Nert »

JimF wrote:That looks worthwhile. ... But the experts will need to take over from here.
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder whether my post was so far off the mark that it wouldn't get any response. :| There's always the risk of getting something wrong when dealing with things that you don't really understand.

I wonder how the scientists decide which projects to research ? It would be interesting to find out how that process works.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Nert wrote:...I wonder how the scientists decide which projects to research ? It would be interesting to find out how that process works.
Since NIH (National Institutes of Health) funds F@H, the F@H Projects undergo the NIH peer review (viewtopic.php?p=265157#p265157).
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues