Folding freezes when using new graphiocs card

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Gentlemanmike

Folding freezes when using new graphiocs card

Post by Gentlemanmike »

Have been folding using my CPU and old graphics card but have just upgraded the graphics card to an HD6950. This new card works perfectly in any other way except that if I start using it for folding, it freezes the machine after about 3 minutes. I have checked temperatures and the temperatures only changed by one degree before the machine froze. I can run folding on the CPU without any problem but if I then run with both it freezes.

Anyone had the same GPU problem (I've noticed some old posts from 2011 but couldnt find anything more recent)?

Many thanks

Mike
bruce

Re: Folding freezes when using new graphiocs card

Post by bruce »

Heat and power limitations are high on my list of first guesses. How big is your power supply?

If we assume that just the GPU freezes, you may not be able to tell if the CPU has also frozen unless you let it run for a while and then check the log for progress messages from the CPU slot.

Which driver version are you running?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Run a driver cleaner to clear out anything from the old card. Then install the 14.9 drivers.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
EXT64

Post by EXT64 »

Are you doing anything else on the computer (besides folding) when the freeze occurs?
Gentlemanmike

Post by Gentlemanmike »

Just increased the power supply from 250w to 650w. I tried running nothing else on the PC but just the folding and it still froze within a couple of minutes. Have run a driver cleaner and updated the drivers to 14.301.1001.0 (15/09/2014) (they were still showing the old 2011 drivers). Will test and let you know what happens. Thanks for the help and fingers crossed.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Folding showed a bump up in performance using Cat 14.4 and newer.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Gentlemanmike

Re: Folding freezes when using new graphics card

Post by Gentlemanmike »

It appears to have been the driver issue as it is now working okay so thanks to you all for your help. Where can I find the newest drivers as my driver update program can only find the 14.3 one?
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

The latest version is 14.12 and is available here but for some this driver appears to slow down folding.

The 14.9.2 beta drivers that appear to work well are available here.
Gentlemanmike

Post by Gentlemanmike »

Thanks; I'll download and try the 14.9.2 drivers.