GPU Guidance

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JRobinsonJr

GPU Guidance

Post by JRobinsonJr »

I may have missed this already, but if not would really appreciate some guidance. It's time to buy a new GPU anyway and I would just as soon get one that will serve the Folding project as well. What characteristics of a GPU are important? What is the priority?
  • Memory
    Memory Bandwidth
    GPU Clock Speed
    Number of Streaming Processors
Thanks!

Jim
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: GPU Guidance

Post by 7im »

Newest generation of streaming cores beats previous generation.
Number of streaming Processors.
GPU Clock Speed.
Memory is already fast enough and wide enough on all models and so has little impact. Some people even under-clock the memory to run higher core clocks.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

For FAH, memory and bandwidth are relatively insignificant. Shader count and speed are of prime importance.

Both ATI/AMD and NVidia are supported although there's currently a driver problem with Maxwell and NV seems to be concentrating all their resources on improving the frame rate of popular games. It's not clear how quickly this might be resolved.
JRobinsonJr

Post by JRobinsonJr »

Thanks all! That really helps.