Low / Inconsistent PPD with Radeon 7950 & Core 17

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bmwman91

Re: Low / Inconsistent PPD with Radeon 7950 & Core 17

Post by bmwman91 »

PS3EdOlkkola,
I did a very thorough GPU driver sweep. I uninstalled all of the AMD software through the uninstall tool, rebooted into safe mode and ran Display Driver Uninstaller (successor to DriverSweeper), ran CCleaner, rebooted normally, installed 14.12 Catalyst fresh, rebooted and fired up folding. It had no effect.

The Catalyst Control Panel has device info on the Overdrive screen. It shows the core clock at a steady 800MHz and memory at 1250MHz (stock full speed), with 96-99% load, fan speed at about 41% and core temperature at 66 Celsius. I will load GPU-Z and see if it tells a different story. More to come.....
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Cat 14.9 may be a better option. viewtopic.php?p=272980#p272980
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bmwman91

Post by bmwman91 »

So I gave Ubuntu a shot. CPU PPD was up ~25% from 17K to 22K, but GPU performance was cut from the already lousy 26K to 13K PPD. That is with AMD's Linux Catalyst 14.12 driver. I will give a shot to the 14.9 Linux drivers, but I am not super hopeful. Maybe there is just something about the overall system configuration that is preventing these GPUs from performing as they should. Some of the other rigs I am folding with are Dell's which use older quad core Xeons and motherboards for which I can actually find chipset drivers, so I am thinking about letting the machines finish their WUs and then moving the ATI cards over into those. Those have weak little Quadro 600 GPUs, and unplugging those won't exactly have a monumental impact on my total PPDs!

In other news, I am doing someone a favor and clearing out some unused workstations with Opteron 6272's (4 or 5 total, and the mobos in all of them support 2 CPUs). Any thoughts on running a bunch of workstation boxes with single CPUs versus consolidating and having 3 boxes with dual 6272's?