Incorrect GPU Folding

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

superericla

Incorrect GPU Folding

Post by superericla »

Hello,

I recently installed an R9 290x alongside my previous HD 7950 and while FAH seems to recognize both cards correctly, it won't fold on the 7950. I've set it up correctly for folding on the 7950 and FAH shows everything as working and running on that card, but GPU-Z shows all of the load on the 290x instead. I've tried switching to folding on the 290x and it folds on the 290x as expected, but will only fold on that card, even if another card is selected. Is there a current method of fixing this issue?

Thanks,
Eric
bollix47

Re: Incorrect GPU Folding

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the folding@home support forum Eric.

What you describe is a fairly common problem that occurs after adding a GPU to an existing setup. A quick test is to finish the existing work and then configure each GPU slot to use a fixed gpu-index. i.e. change the gpu-index for one GPU slot from -1 to 0 and the other slot's gpu-index from -1 to 1. Use FAHControl (aka Advanced Control) and double click the computer in the left pane then click on the Slots tab and highlight and edit each GPU slot - click on OK and Save when done, quit and restart FAHClient. The GPUs should fold separately using this method but may not be identified correctly.

The longer and possibly more accurate route would involve using one of the following guides:

viewtopic.php?p=199379#p199379
viewtopic.php?p=264564#p264564

A third option involves finishing any existing work and completely removing the folding@home software including data - reinstalling the AMD drivers and reinstalling the folding software. The installer does a fairly good job of identifying your GPUs properly using that sequence.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Incorrect GPU Folding

Post by 7im »

Reinstalling the client should be first, as that can be the simpler solution. Then you can set indexes manually if needed and know they won't change again later.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.