GPU & OSX openGL ?? [OpenCL]

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Tico

GPU & OSX openGL ?? [OpenCL]

Post by Tico »

At this point in time, I'm assuming that the use of a GPU with Mac OS X is dead. It doesn't appear that Apple is interested or willing to fix their problem with openGl. My postings of inquiry in the Apple developer forum have gone unanswered over the last 6 months. I'm not sure what if anything Apple's move to the new "metal" for graphics will impact the potential for the development of OSX's folding GPU capability. I don't know about using CUDA and or NVIDA's implementation of OpenGL. Its too bad having an MacPro with unused GPU for folding. Anybody have any update since Vijay's bog post ~jan 2013

thaks
bruce

Re: GPU & OSX openGL ??

Post by bruce »

It's unlikely that the Development team has any inside information about what Apple's plans are, and if they do they probably can't share it.

Stanford systematically avoids predicting the future of their software except an occasional hint from Dr. Pande in the blog, and even then, nothing is definite until there's an announcement that something has been released.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: GPU & OSX openGL ??

Post by Joe_H »

One other important thing to note, the current GPU folding cores use OpenCL, not OpenGL. It is the Apple OS X implementation of OpenCL in the video drivers which is insufficient. Whether that is from the OEM drivers supplied to them from nVidia or AMD which is the problem or another issue has never been indicated to my knowledge.

Also, Apple is known for being very tight lipped about many things in development. So if they are doing anything at Apple to fix this, it would only be announced when they are ready to release.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: GPU & OSX openGL ?? [OpenCL]

Post by Ivoshiee »

Weird. I recall as Apple being one of the initial contributors behind the OpenCL specification. Maybe it does not suit their needs anymore.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've heard Apple has worked out some of their earlier driver bugginess in some more recent version of OS-X. (I can't confirm that rumor.)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That is possible. Whether the fault lies in the OEM video drivers as provided to Apple, in the OS itself, or somewhere in between never was mentioned. Given that nVidia and AMD-ATI have both been improving the OpenCL implementation in their Linux drivers, hopefully that can port to OS X.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Apple doesn't invent anything new. Apple is good at taking technology that already exists and making it look and work really well. Apple didn't invent tablets or MP3 players or smart phones. It made them cool.

If OpenCL isn't needed in a smart watch, don't hold your breath.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
mpharrigan
Pande Group Member

Post by mpharrigan »

As of April, Apple fixed the OpenCL bug

https://github.com/pandegroup/openmm/pull/878

I don't know what the plans are to include osx in future gpu cores
mpharrigan
Pande Group Member

Post by mpharrigan »

Please do not spam the openmm issue tracker with fah stuff.