Data usage (upload / download) during folding?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

gregdzh

Data usage (upload / download) during folding?

Post by gregdzh »

When one does folding, how much data gets download by the client and then uploaded during folding? Does it get uploaded by big chunks as once a day?

I would like to get hold of some data from Folding@home, both for data which gets downloaded before performing computation, and data which gets uploaded at the end.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Data usage (upload / download) during folding?

Post by 7im »

Fah only transfers data to start a new work unit, and then again only when that work is done. Size is KB to MB, as work units vary in size. How often Fah communicates with Stanford depends on both the size of the work unit and the speed of the computer.

Why would you want to "get hold" of work unit data? It's just coordinate data. Start folding and take a look. Nothing to hide. Project has been running 15+ years.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
_r2w_ben

Post by _r2w_ben »

7im wrote:Why would you want to "get hold" of work unit data? It's just coordinate data. Start folding and take a look. Nothing to hide. Project has been running 15+ years.
Maybe because in some countries bandwidth caps are the norm rather than the exception?
parkut
Hardware configuration: Running exclusively Linux headless blades. All are dedicated crunching machines.

Post by parkut »

As 7im explained, the amount of data transmitted is a function of how quickly your system is able to complete work.

I selected one of my Linux machines at random, an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93GHz

In the last 28 days +/- the CPU

Downloaded 89 work units for a total of 50 meg data
and Uploaded 88 work units for a total of 138 meg

I selected one of my GPUs at random, a NVIDIA:3 GK110 [GeForce GTX 780 Ti]

In the last 90 days +/- the GPU

Downloaded 306 work units for a total of 506 meg data
and Uploaded 305 work units for a total of 995 meg
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

_r2w_ben wrote:
7im wrote:Why would you want to "get hold" of work unit data? It's just coordinate data. Start folding and take a look. Nothing to hide. Project has been running 15+ years.
Maybe because in some countries bandwidth caps are the norm rather than the exception?
Please let the topic starter respond before assuming anything.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
gregdzh

Post by gregdzh »

_r2w_ben wrote:
Kind of close :).
I am working on a project dealing with efficient data transfer in distributing computing, especially with places or connections having low bandwidth. That's why I would like to find some readily available dataset instead of trying to generate my own data, since I don't know how long it will take to generate substantial (~200-300MB) amount of data.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

There are Linux or Windows functions that can easily generate files with random contents of the specified size ... the only limit is your storage size :lol:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.