HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v7

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Re: HFM.NET - Monitoring Application for Folding@Home v6/v7

Post by billford »

The problem is that the WS which show NaNs in some columns are no longer active. When we moved to the new AS it did not have data for these WS but they are still listed.
So unlist them- the page header says "Currently Running Projects"
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

billford wrote:
bruce wrote:Have you asked about this on reddit? That's the way to contact the Pande Group.
That's the best laugh I've had all week.
bruce wrote:A JSON data file can be downloaded and parsed by 3rd party software.
The JSON file is comparatively new, a less high-handed approach from PG would have allowed a reasonable transition period to allow 3rd parties to make the necessary changes and, during that period, not break the HTML.
The change to JSON was posted on the blog many months ago, while the older version is still available. The transition period is ongoing. How is that not reasonable?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

When V7 first came out, PG issued warnings that parsing of html files would no longer be supported. Harlam rewrote a lot of HFM's code at that time. That was a long time ago (4 years ago?), not just "many months." In any case, the transition period is ongoing.

No amount of discussion here will convince the Pande Group that they have to support a capability that is UNSUPPORTED. 3rd partys are responsible for the support of their own tools.

I'm doing some cleanup to this topic. The topic is about Harlam (or somebody who can replace him) to support HFM. (HINT: It's not the Pande Group.)
JimF

Post by JimF »

As a non-developer, I can't say much about JSON or even HTML. But if the FAH Control program showed errors, and displayed all the running work units from various remote machines in a convenient format, then we wouldn't need HFM.net at all. This has been asked in the past of course; it is not original with me, but we have always been told that "third party tools are available for this". Now they aren't.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

PG has never had any responsibility for 3rd party tools, hence the name. This has always been on each apps' developers. Electron Microscope III was the best tool for years, and then it wasn't when the developer stopped updating it. That opened the door for HFM to take off. And all the tools become obsolete with the move to the completely new format of the Stream Client.

And the "there are other tools for this" was only ONE of the reasons, not the ONLY reason PG didn't provide these bells and whistles. This is just a rehash of the last few pages of this topic. It won't change the situation. If people HFM to continue, someone will have to take over its development.
sortofageek
Site Admin

Post by sortofageek »

Re-opened for on topic discussion.

bruce defined on topic above:
I'm doing some cleanup to this topic. The topic is about Harlam (or somebody who can replace him) to support HFM. (HINT: It's not the Pande Group.)
Duce H_K_
Hardware configuration: MoBo•Gigabye X99 UD4-CF F24
CPU•<UPD 20.05.2023>Xeon V3 2680 V4 14c28t 35Mb L3
RAM•DDR4 Hynix 2133 CL14 4*16 DualRank Quad channel
HDD•ST1000DM003 Sata3 NCQ
GFX•GT220
PSU•Chieftec GPS750C 80+ Gold after repair
Cooling•Air 2xDeepCool UF120

Internet•200Mbit/s FTTB↓ white dynamic, ERTH, router RB951G-2HnD

Other•Redmi 7A <runs WUProp :-/>

Post by Duce H_K_ »

It works! It freakin' works! I've just changed machine-id back to zero.
   510 290 819 pts earned in Folding@home project
7im

Post by 7im »

HFM may be hard coded to Machine ID 0 in V7 clients. I know there isn't any need to change the Machine ID in the V7 client like there was in the v6 client.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

OK guys, I've been able to fix the psummary parsing error and to build a version that works on my machine.

The version is provided as is, and since I've been unable to build "Any CPU" version and installer, this is just a zip file of a working x86 build.

If you want to give it a try, you can get it from my Drive : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Cgu_ ... sp=sharing

Suggested "installation" method :
- close your current HFM
- locate your HFM installation folder (example : D:\HFM)
- rename your current HFM installation folder (example : D:\HFM_Backup)
- unzip my HFM version to your old HFM location (in my example : D:\HFM)
- run HFM from you regular shortcut
- you may have to reconfigure HFM entirely (re-add clients, set preferences such as web export, EOC credentials, psummary location, ...)

Let me know if you find something wrong ... in the meantime, I'll try to get cleaner builds to work ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

I can get the clients back by re-selecting the std.hfmx config, but where is the rest of the config? I had to restore 0.9.3 (which brought back things like web summary, and all the preferances).
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I don't know where it stores the Preferences and why it didn't keep them :(

Sam-I-Am

Post by Sam-I-Am »

toTOW -- Thanks for HFM.NET v0.9.4! It works fine for me. It fixed the problem of "Unknown Core, 0 Credit & PPD".

The HFM.NET user preferences file on my Windows PC is in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\harlam357\HFM.exe_StrongName_*\0.9.3.718\user.config
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Since I had to change the signature of the application to get it to run, the new preference file is now in : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\toTOW\HFM.exe_StrongName_*\0.9.4.0\user.config ... I guess that copying the old user.config file to this new location would restore HFM preferences.

harlam357

Post by harlam357 »

Hey guys... I've got the projects updating from the json feed and I should be able to get you a build soon... stay tuned.
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

toTOW wrote:Since I had to change the signature of the application to get it to run, the new preference file is now in : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\toTOW\HFM.exe_StrongName_*\0.9.4.0\user.config ... I guess that copying the old user.config file to this new location would restore HFM preferences.
I can confirm that worked.