Low PPD on some WUs

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Bryman

Re: Low PPD on some WUs

Post by Bryman »

Interesting... the ones it has happened to are projects 13103, 13105 and 13106

Coincidence that the numbers are so close together?

Couldn't find either project 13103, 13105, or 13106 in the logs of the past week... apparently it deleted any logs older than that
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not suggesting that your PPD isn't varying. I'm only suggesting that both the time-to-fold and the deadlines DO vary depending on the project.

There will always be some variation in PPD but it should have less variation than the other factors.
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Video card usage with normal PPD
Video card usage with low PPD

It shouldn't vary THAT much right? So much that only 25% of the video card is being used...

Well.. if I get a project in the 13000s again then I'll check to see if it's getting a normal PPD
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Got project 13106... video card usage is really low again

I had about 4 projects before this one and they were all normal... and none of them were in the 13000s

I'm getting 13,000 PPD right now... usually I get 125,000-150,000

I'm going to run DDU and see if that fixes it
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

It didn't fix it, at least not for this current WU

http://i.imgur.com/B7xAJ4K.png

Also, if I run just kombuster then my video card usage is at 99%... but if I run kombuster and folding@home at the same time with the low PPD WU then my usage is at about 50% but the temp is going up about the same as when it was 99%

And if folding@home is running my video card won't underclock... If I set it to an underclocked speed it will just run factory settings... as soon as I stop folding@home my video card will underclock
bruce

Post by bruce »

Isn't kombuster a video card benchmark? It's probably competing with FAH for GPU resources. What happens if you DON'T run it?
Adam_Ford

Post by Adam_Ford »

Do you have core 21 pinned to one cpu core with a program like process lasso if you do change it to two cpu cores I noticed low gpu usage with a 7970 that was fixed by doing that.
DarkFoss
Hardware configuration: AMD 5800X3D Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II bios 5003 G-Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Asrock Tachi RX 7900XTX Corsair rm850x psu Asus PG32UQXR EK Elite 360 D-rgb aio Win 11pro/Kubuntu 22.04.4 LTS UPS BX1500G

Post by DarkFoss »

Hi Bryman,

Have you looked at this thread ? viewtopic.php?f=81&t=27115#p272345 Perhaps you're running into the same issue with the newer drivers that I had with my 7970's. I recommend trying Foldy's method and see if your folding returns to normal . You can find the 14.9 drivers here. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx Just let them extract then cancel the installation. if this workaround works I recommend going to Amd's site and fill out the Issue Reporting Form found under the release notes tab make sure to mention the 2 files used in your report . Assuming you reinstalled the recommended driver again. (15.12 ?)

Also if you do a manual search for your card you'll see underneath the 15.12 driver the Crimson Edition 16.3.1 Hotfix driver available for it. You could try those and see if the issue is fixed or remains and is solved by the workaround. Either way you should file a report if you try them the form for 16.3 is found in the release notes(link). If you used the workaround with the 15.12 driver make sure to remove the 2 files from the FAH work folder before starting FAH so you can test the new driver.

In either case be patient and observe FAH for at least a half hour to make sure that you tpf remains steady and doesn't slowly stretch I talking minutes not 10 or so seconds in variation. As in going from 4.36 tpf to 10.36 tpf. in my case. I usually ran it for an hour.

ps don't run Kombustor or and gpu intensive tests when running FAH it's really an either or sort of thing. with my 6950 I swore I had paused FAH before launching Skyrim and unfortunately had added one too many HD mods an hour into the game I blue screened and in doing so it turned out I had permanently damaged my vid cards ram.

Hope you find some of this useful and G'luck
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

bruce wrote:Isn't kombuster a video card benchmark? It's probably competing with FAH for GPU resources. What happens if you DON'T run it?
I ment it was showing about 50% GPU usage without running kombuster but temps were really low but when I ran kombuster it was showing about the same usage but temps were much much higher

And if I ran just kombuster the usage was 99% and temps were about the same

Basically, folding@home was glitching my video card usage

I'm on project 9210 and it seems to be folding normal

And the video card usage jumps all over the place if the usage is really low (about 20%) and if it's low but not really low (like under 50%) it'll stick to a certain percentage and stay there even if the usage of the video card changes a little bit

That's why the usage graph was going crazy... the usage was actually pretty steady, I believe

It's folding normal right now
Do you have core 21 pinned to one cpu core with a program like process lasso if you do change it to two cpu cores I noticed low gpu usage with a 7970 that was fixed by doing that.
I had it set to use all cores... I even tried changing the process priority to high but it didn't help
ps don't run Kombustor or and gpu intensive tests when running FAH it's really an either or sort of thing. with my 6950 I swore I had paused FAH before launching Skyrim and unfortunately had added one too many HD mods an hour into the game I blue screened and in doing so it turned out I had permanently damaged my vid cards ram.
Yeaaaaaah... I kind of ran 2 kombusters plus heaven plus furmark and OCCT and my computer froze and restarted itself

Probably shouldn't do that...

I just ran Kombuster and folding@home for 30 seconds to test something... Normally the most GPU intensive thing I do while folding is web browsing, and sometimes EyeWire

I probably am pretty hard on my video card... it doesn't start power throttling until 60 seconds after it hits the power limit, so I overclocked my card to it's maximum and ran OCCT and it went from 33 to 88°C in 60 seconds with 100% fan speed

And 33 to 97°C in 45 seconds

I've also gotten the VRMs up to 135 and my screen goes blank but my computer stays on and doesn't restart and I have to hold down the power button

One of my video card fans doesn't run unless the fan speed is 80% or higher, so it's pretty easy to get the VRMs up to 135 if I keep fan speed below 80%

yeaaaaaah...

Apparently Corsair Link said it was sending 40 amps to my video card at one point

Anyway... I'll run DDU again and install an older version of drivers and see if it fixes the PPD issue on 13000s projects, I guess?
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

Bryman wrote:
bruce wrote:Isn't kombuster a video card benchmark? It's probably competing with FAH for GPU resources. What happens if you DON'T run it?
I ment it was showing about 50% GPU usage without running kombuster but temps were really low but when I ran kombuster it was showing about the same usage but temps were much much higher

And if I ran just kombuster the usage was 99% and temps were about the same

Basically, folding@home was glitching my video card usage

I'm on project 9210 and it seems to be folding normal

And the video card usage jumps all over the place if the usage is really low (about 20%) and if it's low but not really low (like under 50%) it'll stick to a certain percentage and stay there even if the usage of the video card changes a little bit

That's why the usage graph was going crazy... the usage was actually pretty steady, I believe

It's folding normal right now
I had it set to use all cores... I even tried changing the process priority to high but it didn't help
Yeaaaaaah... I kind of ran 2 kombusters plus heaven plus furmark and OCCT and my computer froze and restarted itself

Probably shouldn't do that...

I just ran Kombuster and folding@home for 30 seconds to test something... Normally the most GPU intensive thing I do while folding is web browsing, and sometimes EyeWire

I probably am pretty hard on my video card... it doesn't start power throttling until 60 seconds after it hits the power limit, so I overclocked my card to it's maximum and ran OCCT and it went from 33 to 88°C in 60 seconds with 100% fan speed

And 33 to 97°C in 45 seconds

I've also gotten the VRMs up to 135 and my screen goes blank but my computer stays on and doesn't restart and I have to hold down the power button

One of my video card fans doesn't run unless the fan speed is 80% or higher, so it's pretty easy to get the VRMs up to 135 if I keep fan speed below 80%

yeaaaaaah...

Apparently Corsair Link said it was sending 40 amps to my video card at one point

Anyway... I'll run DDU again and install an older version of drivers and see if it fixes the PPD issue on 13000s projects, I guess?
All AX860i's are single 12V rails. It can't tell where it's going.

More fan speed...
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

All AX860i's are single 12V rails. It can't tell where it's going.
Yes... it's single-rail... but that doesn't mean it can't monitor the currents coming out of each slot of the power supply

HWmonitor was only about 2-3 amps off (once you add voltage drop) from what PCIe#1 was reporting

There's obviously some inaccuracy with the voltage it's reporting... the voltage shouldn't drop from 12.07 to 11.75 with my video card idle

But at load it shows the voltage only going from about 12.07 to 12.02 on my power supply while on my video card it goes from 11.75 to 11.15, which would be about a 25 watt loss (if it was accurate)

In that one video the wattage only showed it going up to 390... but in another test I did with the amps only going up to 38 on PCIe#1, the wattage went to 410 (34 amps) and there's about a 2 amp loss due to voltage drop... so there's only about a 4-5 amp difference between HWmonitor and Corsair Link, and that includes voltage drop

More fan speed...
I know, the reason I had it set to 0% is because after a minute my video card starts throttling and the hotter the video card is the more power consumption (at least, that's what it reports on both HWmonitor and Corsair Link)

It apparently goes from 33°C to 97°C in 45 seconds

Even at 100% fan speed it goes from 33 to 88 in 60 seconds

Not as fast as my processor running prime 95 at a high voltage... 40>105 in 2 seconds

I saw the temp go from 40 to 90 in 1 second and before the program could update again, the computer shut off, which probably means the processor hit 105°C

I only had the voltage set to like 1.45 too... it wasn't a super high voltage

It'll probably take about 2 days until I get a 13000 project. I'm hoping reverting to 14.9 will fix the issue... although according to that thread that DarkFoss linked, their PPD was only dropping about 10-20%... mine is dropping 80-90%
bruce

Post by bruce »

How much power do the GPUs draw from the PCIe bus?
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

bruce wrote:How much power do the GPUs draw from the PCIe bus?
How do I check that?

The power throttling is really annoying... For the first 60 seconds there's no power throttling whatsoever and it goes up to about 40 amps, then even at +20% it limits the card to about 16 amps... 0% and +20% are the exact same... -20% only allows about 12 amps

The TDP is 250.. So I know it should at least allow up to about 20-25 amps... But my video card is messed up :/

My 5 volt rail is about 15 watts and my 3.3 volt rail is about 7 watts, I don't have a hard drive

Well, I have an external one... but that doesn't take more than 2 watts apparently

But the power consumption reported from the power supply goes from about 50 to about 500 with just the one 7970 running and maybe 1% cpu

At factory speeds (3% stock overclock and stock memory clock) and about a 10% voltage decrease from stock with folding@home running it's reporting it's using about 12 amps

The core is reporting it's using about 9 amps while the memory is reporting it's using about 3 amps

With my video card overclocked as much as I can and with OCCT running, it reports about 4 amps for memory and 33 amps for core for the first 60 seconds

I know games use more power than folding@home.. so that means if I had it at stock voltage and stock clock speeds that it would throttle even at +20% power limit...
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

4.5ghz 1.53 volts, had it set to update every 100ms

45 to 105 in 1/10 of a second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvr_shGY4HM

CPU-Z was reporting 1.53 at idle and about 1.57 at load... wonder if the voltage actually does increase with more load or if that's just a miscalculation error

Anyway... folding@home just gave me an "unknown error" and said that it had crashed... I only had verbosity set to 3, if I had it set higher it might of told me why :/

Last time I had the verbosity set to 5 and when it happened it said Smartpointer can't dereference a null pointer

But this time it was only set to 3

This doesn't relate to the low PPD issue... but it does have something to do with the video card WU...

Which hopefully installing 14.9 fixes the issue.. I'm just waiting to get a 13000 project again

I'll be going out of town for 6 days so I won't know until I get back... I'll leave folding@home running (probably not a good idea but ohhhhh well) but I'm not sure how to check if my video card got low PPD on one of the WUs... I guess if a 13000 project takes more than about 5 minutes per TPF then that means it got low PPD.. because 13000 projects are really quick (at least all the ones I've gotten so far have been)... so I'll just have to check the logs when I get back
Bryman

Post by Bryman »

Got a 13104 project.. gpu usage is low, going to 14.9 drivers didn't help

I'm starting to think that maybe 13000 projects are supposed to just give you like 20000 PPD when normally you get 150000

Maybe they are just supposed to reward really low PPD and not use your video card much