Nvidia Pascal GPU cards???

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Nvidia Pascal GPU cards???

Post by 7im »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:Snip

... is Stanford moving away from CPU generated units?
No!
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Foxbat wrote:especially if the GP104 doesn't make it on to the GPUs.txt Whitelist for a few months.
I wouldn't worry too much, 7im is normally quite responsive maintaining the GPUs.txt. I would worry more that they are sold out in few seconds.
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote: The newer CPUs should also speed up the input of completed units of folding. Or, is Stanford moving away from CPU generated units?
They are not moving away from CPU units but they are currently out of favour, they have a pair of new cores in very early testing but I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon :(
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Nathan_P wrote:snip

They are not moving away from CPU units but they are currently out of favour, they have a pair of new cores in very early testing but I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon :(
"Out of favor" seems a little strong in light of the fact they are developing new CPU cores. Since PG doesn't comment on development cycles, we can expect to see them when they are announced. :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

Foxbat wrote:After the new Pascal cards become available, I'm assuming Stanford needs to put them through some sort of validation testing procedure to ensure good science. They might make awesome gaming cards, but does that mean that they will necessarily make just as awesome Folding devices?
The word "validation" and your "good science" aren't accurate because that suggests that there's a chance that they'd produce inaccurate results. That possibility is so remote that it's fair to call it impossible. NV wouldn't let that happen.

It's highly likely that there will be a new driver version (or several which may gradually improve performance). It's also possible that the OpenMM code that interfaces with those drivers can be re-optimized somewhat. All in all, the initial benchmarks may not be quite as good as the final performance, but that'll probably be a small improvement.
bruce

Post by bruce »

"Out of favor" might just be a donor attitude.

For those with top-of-the-line GPUs, running CPUs too may seem like too small an increase in science (or in PPD) to be bothered with. For others, GPU+CPU is always more than GPU only.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding

Post by Nathan_P »

7im wrote:
Nathan_P wrote:snip

"Out of favor" seems a little strong in light of the fact they are developing new CPU cores. Since PG doesn't comment on development cycles, we can expect to see them when they are announced. :D
The current push is for GPU computational power, most of the recent projects are for GPU's running on core 21, AVX has been in cpu's since 2011 and we still do not have a working core, machines with more than 24 threads have little to no work available for them unless you start running multiple slots. CPU's working on a 1 million atom+ WU get less points than a upper mid range GPU running a 100k atom WU. If that's not out of favour then I don't know what is

I know, everything will be sorted soon :roll:

@7im, I am looking forward to the new A7/A8 cores, just a pity the AVX one wasn't out sooner
7im

Post by 7im »

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/2015-achievements/

From the 2016 Vision section...

New Gromacs core. The Gromacs core continues to be a workhorse core for CPU clients and we are working on releasing an updated core with more broad hardware support, including support for AVX, which will give some donors an automatic performance boost.

Obviously GPU folding was the lowest hanging fruit, but Pande Group doesn't like to leave fruit on the tree if it can help it. But sometimes it takes a while to build the ladder to reach the higher fruits like AVX.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Adam A. Wanderer wrote:... we each must do what we can do.
Well said.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Nvidia released GTX 1080 for benchmarks and here are some FAHbench 1.2 explicit numbers.
Titan X => 84 ns
GTX 1080 => 106 ns
And this card likes overclocking so 2 GHz may be possible.
https://i0.wp.com/cdn.arstechnica.net/w ... 80x720.png
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

The k-factor might produce insane PPD figures on the new GPU ... :?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Nathan_P

Not currently folding

Post by Nathan_P »

toTOW wrote:The k-factor might produce insane PPD figures on the new GPU ... :?
Well, the bonus system is designed to reward quicker return of WU, since pascal looks a lot quicker it should get more points. They can't alter the k factor for projects already released - that devalues the donations of existing folders, and if they nerf the points too much on the current cards by lowering the K factor people will either cherry pick WU or slow/shutdown.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

Certain WUs could be limited to pascal if its too out of whack. Not that I'm suggesting or want it.
kiore

Post by kiore »

mmonnin wrote:Certain WUs could be limited to pascal if its too out of whack. Not that I'm suggesting or want it.
How could they be "out of whack?" faster results are rewarded as they are considered 'better' by the project, so we are told, so faster is better. Bigger GPU units are coming out so if these cards deliver on their promise , which remains to be seen, then if there is to be any limiting it would seem sensible to direct them to whatever are the more powerful cards. Still all the promise remains that at present, hard data will hopefully not be too far off.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
Sven

Post by Sven »

These Cards are more expensive than I thought. Around 840$ here in Switzerland. Not sure if I going to buy one.

Love to see some results for Folding first, before I decide.