Won't Detect Cable Is Plugged In

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

willwinuk
Hardware configuration: Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.

Won't Detect Cable Is Plugged In

Post by willwinuk »

Hi,
I have the Folding@Home app downloaded on my VKWorld 800X running Android 5.1 and it will not start folding. It has a green symbol for Wi-Fi and the second battery symbol is green. It is just the first battery that is orange, but I have a 100% charge and the USB cable is plugged in.

So, any idea why it will not start, please?
--William Cody Winter--
Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.
bruce

Re: Won't Detect Cable Is Plugged In

Post by bruce »

I don't know, but have a guess.

The current version of the mobile client was written by Sony and tested specifically on their phones. I'm not aware that the software was ever adapted to work over a WiFi connection. There have been a number of requests to adapt the client to other platforms, including those connected by WiFi but it's not clear when (or even "if") such more general support will be provided.

At this point, we're waiting for an official answer from Sony.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

He mentioned the 3 requirements for the Sony app to start folding. Wifi (its a mobile client and the only way to connect), A/C power, and 100% battery.

Is the USB cable plugged into a PC or an outlet? Some USB PC connections do not provide enough current to keep up with some mobile devices being fully drained.

As for the device being supported, no idea. And as bruce mentioned, this isn't an official support site for the Sony app.
willwinuk
Hardware configuration: Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.

Post by willwinuk »

It is plugged into a Macbook Pro and I haven't had any issues charging or maintaining a charge, it's just the Android Folding@Home.
--William Cody Winter--
Macbook Pro 13" (late '13), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Does the Android F@H app work if you plug your VKWorld into the power adapter that came with it plugged into an AC circuit? Others have reported the app to be picky about the source of power. Examples have included working on the manufacturers adapter, but not third party power adapters. The USB port may not provide enough current to be detected as "on power", but still charge or maintain a charge.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Maintaining a charge when using typical apps isn't the same as maintaining a charge when FAH is using 100% of the processor. Without access to the app, itself, knowing how much current is needed would be a wild guess. (Hopefully, we can assume that the manufacturer's power supply exceeds 100% CPU plus some left over to actually charge the battery.)
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

I have some longer, thinner USB cables that will not keep my Nexus 9 at full charge while running FAH. It just can't supply the required current. The same goes for any USB port. Try it plugged into the wall.