Is Core 15 still active?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Kittyhawk

Is Core 15 still active?

Post by Kittyhawk »

Earlier this month, Core 15 WUs could be downloaded and processed.
But now, the FAH systray (version 6.41r2) client keeps saying Attempting to get work packet.

When will Core 15 WUs become available for download again?

Or has Core 15 been deprecated for good? (I've read about Core 15 WUs going to be discontinued anytime)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Is Core 15 still active?

Post by Joe_H »

Checking the logs for the Core_15 WS, I see WU returns over the last several days. The logs don't show information that could let me definitely determine how many assignments are being made, but it appears that some are occurring.

Do you have your client configured with the max-packet size set to small and also set to request beta WU's? Those settings are being looked for by the Assignment Servers to direct requests to the Core_15 projects that remain.

There might also be issues connected with use of the V6 client. The latest versions of the assignment code still support some requests from V6 clients, but there have been some problems seen.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Kittyhawk

Post by Kittyhawk »

The V6 GPU systray client is still unable to download work, even after setting small WU size and -betateam. :(

Tried the V7 client, Core 15 GPU folding works.
But V7 service installation and GPU folding do not go together.
Joe_H wrote:Do you have your client configured with the max-packet size set to small and also set to request beta WU's? Those settings are being looked for by the Assignment Servers to direct requests to the Core_15 projects that remain.
With those settings, the V7 client will get only Core 15 for the GPU and nothing else?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Yes it should.

And yes, GPU folding is not supported if the client has been installed as a service : this is a Microsoft limitation :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Kittyhawk

Post by Kittyhawk »

Core 15 worked for a short while on v7, then stopped working again. :(
Not able to get a Core 15 WU.

Under work queue in FAHControl, the status for the GPU keeps stating download but no work gets downloaded.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm getting the message Empty work server assignment which meeans there are no Work Servers which can supply the type of WU you're seeking. I suspect that they've finally finished all the projects that use Core_15, so in essence, those ancient GPUs should be listed as "unsupported"
Kittyhawk

Post by Kittyhawk »

bruce wrote:I'm getting the message Empty work server assignment which meeans there are no Work Servers which can supply the type of WU you're seeking. I suspect that they've finally finished all the projects that use Core_15, so in essence, those ancient GPUs should be listed as "unsupported"
Thanks for the reply.

What I liked about Core 15 is that it had low RAM requirements, and didn't cause screen jerkiness during GPU folding.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Looking at the log entries for the server that had Core_15 projects using the link on the Server Status page, it does look like few if any WU's are available for assignment. The log entries only show a few WU's returned each day over the past week, a couple weeks ago it was in the range of 1 to 2 dozen WU's a day. Some days it appears that no WU's were returned at all.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3