CPU Not Folding

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Re: CPU Not Folding

Postby bcblues » Tue May 31, 2016 8:09 pm

So does the "let the client decide" (-1) slot configuration automatically default to an odd number? I just accepted the default -1.
bcblues

Postby DeeGee » Tue May 31, 2016 8:14 pm

That's the problem. I also had let the client decide enabled and on my 6(12) core processor it defaulted to 11 threads because there also was a GPU client (if a GPU client is enabled, it causes the thread number to be reduced by 1). That would probably require a FAH Client upgrade to fix...
DeeGee

Postby bcblues » Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 pm

I manually set it to 6 threads and it is folding fine.

Thanks, folks!

Seems like "let the client decide" should default to an even number of threads. Think of the lost production!
bcblues

Postby Joe_H » Tue May 31, 2016 9:03 pm

bcblues wrote:So does the "let the client decide" (-1) slot configuration automatically default to an odd number? I just accepted the default -1.

Depends on how many GPU's are installed in a system and the power slider setting. The -1 leaves the number to be determined by the client, it will reserve 1 core thread per each usable GPU detected. The the default Medium setting uses one fewer. The Light setting uses half the cores available after the accounting for the ones reserved for GPU's.

As for the client defaulting to only even numbers, that has been suggested and might show up in a later revision of the client. But there are other higher priority items that need work on for the client. It also would not take care of even multiples of the large primes that need to be excluded. Basically the client's current method works most of the time, and occasionally needs a bit of manual help.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:46 pm

In the past, 7 was a borderline case. Many projects could use 7 successfully while others could not. The scientists had to test the project carefully and decide whether to exclude assignments to CPU:7 systems or not. Gromacs.org has officially stated that 7 doesn't work, so more and more projects are being excluded. (In fact, it looks like a global ban has now been instituted.)
bruce

Postby pukunui » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:19 am

Yes!

This is the answer :D

My AMD 8-core CPU + Nvidia GTX960 was getting no CPU Work Units with "-1" set for # CPUs
Set to "6", and suddenly it works

Hooray, and thanks for the information

There must be lots of people with Intel 4-core/Hyperthreading and AMD 8-core who aren't folding CPU anymore
pukunui

Previous

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)