No non V7 CPU work going out?

This client will only use a single CPU

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Re: No non V7 CPU work going out?

Postby Nathan_P » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm

XP should still be supported on v7 - the problem will be how long Nvidia/AMD release driver updates for that OS. Personally I'd grab either a cheap win 7 disk or bite the bullet and go to windows 10.

As an aside cpu work for v6 is none existent, I had a SMP rig sitting for days waiting for work - switched to v7 and got work straight away
Nathan_P

Postby new08 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:41 pm

It seems to be down to what Cores are being utilised by the AS.
I have seen my card as type both 20 and also 21 on different requests for work- which was a bit puzzling.
It could be that the AS software check is ambiguous, so the request gets bounced.
it would have been nice, over the years, to have had a test return for work done on a dummy unit to ensure that at least the Config was valid.
Changes enacted by user can soon obscure a potentially working system.
A victim of over abundance again?
new08

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:10 am

What do you mean type 20?

There may be CPU projects still going out to the V6 client, but almost all the newer projects require a minimum of V7.

As far as running mulitple V6 clients giving you additional control over your projects, that's not true. V7 uses a concept called a "slot" which is identical to a single V6 client except for the fact that you can control all of them from a single control program. Each one can be started/stopped/set to finish/alter various settings without being forced to shut down the client to edit the config. Starting automatically at boot time is optional ... use the pause-on-start setting, either for all slots or inside of each individual slot.

It's still your choice, though, as long as you can get the work you want with the V6 client.
bruce

Previous

Return to Windows Classic V6.23 Client