mixed gpu's

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Robert17

mixed gpu's

Post by Robert17 »

I've been quite unsuccessful in getting both NVidia and AMD folding on the same PC. I have an MSI Seahawk GTX1070 folding and have no issues with it. I have installed my AMD R9 290X and loaded a couple of different drivers (latest, then uninstalled, rebooted, installed a 15.7 driver) but I can't configure it in a slot. I have had momentary success wherein the R9 will start to fold, then crash the system. Using an MSI Z97A Krait MB, latest BIOS, EVGA 750W SuperNova G3.

Any more info needed for pondering my issue?
JimboPalmer

Re: mixed gpu's

Post by JimboPalmer »

I have two 'voodoo' answers, (we are not sure why they work, but the problem goes away):
1) try reinstalling the software once both cards are in place. Somehow the detection durring install is superior to the detection once running.
2) try the latest beta, the author has been fiddling with card detection. viewtopic.php?f=104&t=29541

If you do 2, you have in effect done 1 as well. I hope this helps.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

You can try to remove the Nvidia GPU and only run the AMD GPU alone to test if it crashes the system as well.
Robert17

Post by Robert17 »

@JimboPalmer -> the only beta client I found was 7.4.16 which didn't work; in fact crashed the F@H viewer. If there's another, newer beta I would like to know where to find it.

@foldy -> I ran the R9 several years before upgrading alone with client 7.4.4 and earlier versions, so know it's good to go. I tried installing Radeon drivers for it in a Linux box but was thwarted, so no folding on it there.

Last problem when both appeared to want to run was Kernal Power errors.

Still open for suggestions.
bruce

Post by bruce »

We used to say that it was impossible to fold with both nV & ATI on the same system. Now it's generally considered a challenge, but possible.

Windows or Linux?

Linux seems to be more able to manage nultiple GPU types, each with their own driver.

If Windows, what happens if you connect a monitor to both of them and restart Windows (without running FAH)? That should force Windows to figure out how to manage both as display devices even though you'd still not have a supportable OpenCL installation on one or both of them.

The latest beta is 7.4.16.

Kernal Power errors? How much 12v can your power supply provide?
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

Your power supply EVGA 750W SuperNova G3 should deliver up to 750 watts on 12V. But it still could be bad. Have you all power plugs for mainboard and GPUs put in right?

I want you to test the R9 290 alone to see if it works fine in your PC with the current driver and FahClient installation.
Did folding work on R9 290 in this PC before?
Robert17

Post by Robert17 »

@bruce -> WinTen64, and I addressed the Winderz open video connector bug by plugging an HDMI cable to the R9-HDMI switch-monitor. I've un-installed/re-installed F@H at each configuration change. The R9 shows up in device manager as a hidden hardware item.

@foldy -> New PSU, all checks out fine, bought it just to add the R9 to the system. All cables are connected firmly. Not saying I don't make mistakes, just make fewer of them as I've been at the PC building and overclocking hobby for 29 years, folding for 5.

Keep the suggestions coming. We'll find that odd comment or question to be the one to light the spark of an answer.

Thanks all.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Robert17 wrote:The R9 shows up in device manager as a hidden hardware item.
If you move the monitor from the 1070 and only have a monitor on the R9 what happens? After that works -- is the other GPU hidden? If so, maybe you need two actual monitors at least long enough to convince Windows that it has to work with both of them. (I think that Windows needs to decide that both of your GPUs are essential and you have a multi-monitor system.)

That's not sufficient to run FAH, because you also need OpenCL support on both of them, but let's start with being able to physically see stuff on both screens.
Robert17

Post by Robert17 »

@bruce -> that was interesting. I'm running through an HDMI switch which seems to have no impact, so far as I can tell. I unplugged the cable to the 1070 leaving the one to the R9 connected, booted and opened F@H, a WU downloaded and started running. No 1070 visible nor running. Reversed the process, opened F@H with the 1070 plugged in, no R9 plugged in, and the R9 initialized to continue from where I'd paused, and It crashed, i.e., video disappeared, HDD LEDs still offering the occasional blip. Rebooted with both cables plugged into cards, started F@H and only the 1070 card initialized.

Seen anything like this before?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Robert17 wrote:Seen anything like this before?
Nope.

I know some people have managed to get both brands running together, but I've never done it myself.

I think you're saying that FAH is crashing ... not Windows. My real question was whether or not Winodws was happy displaying VIDEO through both GPUs, and I don't think you answered that. If you do not start FAH, can you do other things with a two-monitor WIndows system ... e.g. moving a window from one monitor to the other.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

I'm on Windows 7 and my nvidia GPU is connected to monitor and my amd gpu is not connected.
In Windows device manager I see both GPUs and none is hidden (and even an intel iGPU).
Maybe it is necessary to first remove the hidden GPU from device manager?
When I install new drivers then I first start Windows with the monitor connected to the GPU which driver I want to update.
Robert17

Post by Robert17 »

@bruce -> I connected an additional monitor directly to the R9 and fired up F@H. The 7.4.4 client allowed me to add a second GPU to fold, the 1070 which I folded on all night. The R9 was the default apparently. & @foldy -> Both GPUs showed up in Device Manager, neither hidden. So that's something at least.

But the system crashed almost immediately, Kernal Power issue again. I'm thinking it's my MB, perhaps underpowered for this task? MSI Z97S Krait, 6 phase power (yeah, I know I typoed earlier with Z97A). If y'all have insight, I'd enjoy the share. But for now, I thank you for the insight and suggestions as we got the main issue resolved, extra monitor good.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

Do you have something plugged in the mainboard except the GPUs?
Robert17

Post by Robert17 »

Yeah, I've got an m.2 SSD sucking up some PCIe lanes as well as the GPUs occupying the 2 PCIe x16(8x8) slots. And a couple of hard drives, one SSD, one spinner, 1 DVDrw, 3 AIO coolers, 7 fans, 16GB RAM, 4770K. I've currently defaulted the settings as opposed to a stable OC on the CPU and RAM (4.3GHz and 2400MHz respectively, now at 3.5GHz and 2133 GHz) which had performed well for the past 6 months. And prior on a different MB.

"MB POWER" keeps wafting through my brain. But no math to back it up.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

Did you try to swap the GPU slots?