Open Air Dedicated Folder and Guide

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Re: Open Air Dedicated Folder and Guide

Post by Nathan_P »

dreiter wrote:
bruce wrote:
dreiter wrote:Here in CA it gets up to $0.30/kWh in the summer and ...
We could get into a long off-topic discussion about that :evil: but let's not. It won't help anybody.
Well I'm not interested in arguing at all if that's your concern, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Are you upset at my comment or at CA electricity prices? :e)
Probably CA power prices
bruce

Post by bruce »

7im wrote:It was off topic to the hardware discussion, and there are several other threads where you could post or read that talk about conserving power, or ...

He was not upset ...
Nathan_P wrote:Probably CA power prices
Right, right, and right.
dreiter

Post by dreiter »

7im wrote: It was off topic to the hardware discussion, and there are several other threads where you could post or read that talk about conserving power, or offsetting power usage (replacing old conventional light bulbs with LEDs enough to match the increase used by folding).

He was not upset, just suggesting a better alternative.
Ah, I see. Sadly that wouldn't work for me here since we already use LED for everything, we have no dishwasher, laundry washer or dryer, and our hot water is natural gas. The only electricity we use besides our LED lighting is the fridge, computer, TV, and AC/heating. And the AC is really the only real cost, over 3/4 of our bill in the summer.

A 900 W load would be 0.9*24*30=650 kWh just from the PC, and that ignores the associated cooling cost. Even at just $0.20/kWh, that's $130/mo just to run the PC. I hope to someday live in my own home where I can install a nice solar system to offset my usage, but it's not an option right now sadly.
dreiter

Post by dreiter »

bruce wrote:
7im wrote:It was off topic to the hardware discussion, and there are several other threads where you could post or read that talk about conserving power, or ...

He was not upset ...
Nathan_P wrote:Probably CA power prices
Right, right, and right.
Oh I just saw that you live in So Cal too. Prices here are rough, but I suppose it's about similar to Europe/Aus/Japan. Time to move to Canada!
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

dreiter wrote:
7im wrote: It was off topic to the hardware discussion, and there are several other threads where you could post or read that talk about conserving power, or offsetting power usage (replacing old conventional light bulbs with LEDs enough to match the increase used by folding).

He was not upset, just suggesting a better alternative.
Ah, I see. Sadly that wouldn't work for me here since we already use LED for everything, we have no dishwasher, laundry washer or dryer, and our hot water is natural gas. The only electricity we use besides our LED lighting is the fridge, computer, TV, and AC/heating. And the AC is really the only real cost, over 3/4 of our bill in the summer.

A 900 W load would be 0.9*24*30=650 kWh just from the PC, and that ignores the associated cooling cost. Even at just $0.20/kWh, that's $130/mo just to run the PC. I hope to someday live in my own home where I can install a nice solar system to offset my usage, but it's not an option right now sadly.
The folding incentives that we aren't supposed to talk about here more than pay for electricity used.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
FldngForGrandparents

Post by FldngForGrandparents »

My thread has been hijacked! By the way I am paying about $60/month extra for my dedicated folder running 24/7. I am waiting to see what the 1080Ti does and I might swoop up a couple of those for my second folder.

Dedicated to my grandparents who have passed away from Alzheimer's

Dedicated folding rig on Linux Mint 19.1:
2 - GTX 980 OC +200
1 - GTX 980 Ti OC +20
4 - GTX 1070 FE OC +200
3 - GTX 1080 OC +140
1 - GTX 1080Ti OC +120
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

FldngForGrandparents wrote:My thread has been hijacked! By the way I am paying about $60/month extra for my dedicated folder running 24/7. I am waiting to see what the 1080Ti does and I might swoop up a couple of those for my second folder.
To further hijack it...
I'll gladly trade you bills; I run ~80TH/s of ASICs, 1 dedicated folder, 4 PCs (one of which folds 60-90% of the time), and our average monthly electric bill is ~$1,400 during "winter rates". :)