are other people using the data after main papers is out?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

beer

are other people using the data after main papers is out?

Post by beer »

Hi

Please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know then each WU is tied to one project that leads to a paper. Is there other people using the result after the main paper is out? Or is it just stored and never used again? If someone else is using the result then who are those people?
bruce

Re: are other people using the data after main papers is out

Post by bruce »

There's no way to answer that question accurately. That's sort of like asking if anybody is using the Pythagorean Theorem or Newton's Laws (or more recent scientific results). Once a scientific principle is discovered and published, anybody can use it without notifying the author unless the result is protected by a patent.

There have been some other results that did mention using a result published in a FAH paper.
beer

Post by beer »

There is 2 way to track it:
1: the number of citation is paper is getting (is there an easy way to see that for each paper that the panda group has made?)
2: to my knowlage then each WU is stored on stanford server. And if people want to access them for future research then they need to ask permission for the access to those WU. My main question is that have people asked for access for the data for data that we generate after the main papers is out? Is a WU only used in one paper?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

In his Where Can I Learn More post, Dr..Pande gave links that list papers, and the how often they have been cited by other papers. For the list of papers - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=pande++vs. For the list by how many times others papers have cited them - https://scholar.google.com/citations?us ... AAAJ&hl=en.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
beer

Post by beer »

I am not an expert but it looks like the publication is cited a lot (which mean that people are using the papers a lot).

I am still wondering if the data we generate (WU's) is only used once for one paper or if they are used for multiply of papers?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Usage is mixed. Some data is reused as a basis to look deeper in to a problem, some as basis to look at a tangential problem, some data only gets used once. But in general, folding has been a cumulative process, gaining knowledge and gaining speed getting more knowledge. One might recall the FAH Blog posts how new modeling enabled significant jumps in processing speed.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Consider the differences between somebody using the conclusions in the paper and somebody use the raw data of the trajectories that are made up of a series WUs. The conclusions are likely to be fairly general and be used by others (often with citation references in other papers). The raw data is needs to be available to validate the original conclusions and pr5obably won't be needed after that.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Postings I recall reading by Dr. Pande have mentioned that some data sets are publicly available, I came across mention of some being on simtk.org for download. The rest are available upon request by another researcher. I don't know if PG keeps stats on how often this happens, perhaps they might answer if asked on the official reddit.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

The way the drug companies are gouging people now days needs to be a way to collect part of the pie if they use the data we crunch...