FAH computing power

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

foldinghomealone

FAH computing power

Post by foldinghomealone »

Hi there,

Since I have joined folding around 6 months ago it seems that computing power has decreased continuously from approx. 100.000TFlOPS to around 90.000TFLOPS.
Are the reason for this known and have counter measures been taken?

I expected that NV's Pascal architecture would boost computing power but it seems there is no such effect
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: FAH computing power

Post by foldy »

I guess it is season changing. The highest folding power is reached in winter e.g. in December 2016 it was 105000 Tflops. But in summer many folders including me shutdown their systems because it gets too hot in the house, so the lowest value was in July 2016 with 82000 Tflops. And will rise again in October 2017 to over 100000 TFlops.

Maybe the nvidia driver issues during winter let some people uninstall FAH cause "not working anymore".

Some altcoins still can be mined on GPUs, so maybe that is currently more profitable than curecoin/foldingcoin.
foldinghomealone

Post by foldinghomealone »

Thanks for the answer. Hope you are right.
Increasing engergy price might not help, either.

Personally I think that many veteran folders lost interest because of current PPD inflation.
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

It is easy for me to think that weather - ambient temperatures, would not be a factor yet. But then, I'm quite far north (Alaska). I forget, it's already getting quite warm in many parts of the Northern Hemisphere. We're supposed to get several inches of snow tonight. The Folding rigs are not upset. If I had to pay a power bill that included air conditioning, I'd probably curtail Folding during the warmer months as well.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

I updated this older google document from 2014 where the monthly stats are added.
Current data starts at July 2016 which was the lowest point of the year and will be reached again in July 2017.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1016224441

I also thought once "oh no, stats are going down" until I realized the yearly cycle :-)
So everybody can see what are the stats per month and per year.
foldy
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz

Post by foldy »

foldinghomealone wrote:Personally I think that many veteran folders lost interest because of current PPD inflation.
There once was the folding CPU age with multiple CPU rigs and now is the folding GPU age with multiple GPU rigs.
(On smartphones it is still CPU only but the FAH android app is not part of the stats.)