Promoting Folding@home on a few gaming sites

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Clive

Promoting Folding@home on a few gaming sites

Post by Clive »

Hi:

I currently am donating CPU time to the World Community Grid but as they do not have a project that uses the GPU, I can do this here. I am also here for a personal reason as I loss a loving relative to Alzheimer Disease.

I joined this site in March and I am wondering if powers that be here have thought about trying to promote this site to the gaming population out there with their high end GPUs in their gaming computers. A Folding@home logo link could be placed on a number of gaming websites to spread the knowledge of the Folding@home website and the projects that are here. Maybe the gamers may have a love one who may be suffering or has passed on from a disease that Folding@home is attempting to find a cure for.

Clive Hunt
JimboPalmer

Re: Promoting Folding@home on a few gaming sites

Post by JimboPalmer »

Tragically, most of the staff are biochemists, not advertising majors or sociology majors.

You certainly can promote F@H, I would not hold my breath waiting for them to.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi:

Thanks for responding. They need to think outside the box. My aim is not to just advertise this website but also to attract more donors along with their high end GPUs.

Clive
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Clive wrote:They need to think outside the box.
I begin to see why you never majored in biochemistry.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ComputerGenie

Post by ComputerGenie »

Clive wrote:...My aim is not to just advertise this website but also to attract more donors along with their high end GPUs
You'll find that with F@H, FLDC, and CureCoin alike, keeping the status quo is something they all seem quite "content" with . :?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

It's all about the sponsors. e.g. World Community Grid is driven by IBM. The FAH mobile phone app is made by Sony.
So advertising FAH on gaming sites - maybe Nvidia could sponsor that.

On the other side it is only a small group of people which really like to run FAH and the others will not - even with big advertising.
Some gaming sites already have a small fah team which advertise fah in the game site forum.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

Sony and/or MS to bring back on their consoles might push enough
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
bruce

Post by bruce »

The X-Box client had several problems.
1) It was power-hungry and wasn't built to dissipate the heat so folks turned them off when they finished gaminig.
2) A game console isn't designed to share processing resources between a game and other tasks.
3) There was (almost) zero need to upgrade the processing power so the FAH production quickly was outdistanced by other platforms. A bigger HD doesn't help FAH. (Compare that to NVidia/AMD/Intel's constant production of new generation hardware.) New games were designed specifically to fit within the constraints of the hardware.

The Android client has many of the same constraints, though there's a constant pressure to convince you to upgrade. Most upgrades stress improved readability of the screen. They don't try to convincing you that you need a faster CPU or GPU -- because you probably don't.

The "idle = true" is probably essential for the PC gamer but it's not perfect.
FAMAS

Post by FAMAS »

does clive know that several advertisement drives were carried out on steam, unreal tournament and CoD networks?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Maybe the Xbox Scorpio released next Christmas? It will have 6 tflops and maybe can run OpenCL? Also Playstation 4 pro has 4 tflops now.

But to get big PPD the users cannot run FAH in background while gaming but need to leave it running when they finished gaming.
bruce

Post by bruce »

foldy wrote:Maybe the Xbox Scorpio released next Christmas? It will have 6 tflops and maybe can run OpenCL? Also Playstation 4 pro has 4 tflops now.

But to get big PPD the users cannot run FAH in background while gaming but need to leave it running when they finished gaming.
Will the hardware have the capabilities (and has the operating system been updated) to run background processes?
foldinghomealone

Post by foldinghomealone »

bruce wrote:Will the hardware have the capabilities (and has the operating system been updated) to run background processes?
Why does it need it? Stop folding once gaming is on and start folding once gaming is over
rediornot
Hardware configuration: fangbook 3 laptop i4710mq 6m smartcashe 2.5 to 3.50 mghz turbo
adata sata 3 6.0 Gb/s 256gb ssd, 16gb gskill ddr3-1333 ram, 1920x1080 fhd, nvida gtx 860m 4gb video

Post by rediornot »

i play path of exile and have posted on grinding gear games forum. tom clancy's the division and ghost recon wildlands for ubisoft forums and diablo 3 on blizzard forums but unless someone actually makes a comment they get bumped haven't been able to get it stickied yet so it will stay at the top of the page. in the games you play that is the best way if the forum moderator can get subject sticked. in nvidia forums it is stickied in the lounge so is always at the top of the page. :egeek:
cyberpowerpc fangbook III hx6-200 6m smartcashe, i4710mq quadcore dual thread 2.5 to 3.5ghz turbo nvida gtx 860m 4gb, ADATA SATA 3 256gb 6.0 Gb/s SSD,1920x1080 FHD 15.6" laptop