PPD by GPU - Advice for Dedicated F@H Machine

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: PPD by GPU - Advice for Dedicated F@H Machine

Post by foldy »

OT: I guess for AMD we need to wait for Vega GPU getting released this summer. It should then match the GTX 1080 in PPD and watts.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

foldy wrote:OT: I guess for AMD we need to wait for Vega GPU getting released this summer. It should then match the GTX 1080 in PPD and watts.
That would be a shame, I really hope Vega will be faster.
ryoungblood

Post by ryoungblood »

darkbasic wrote:
foldy wrote:OT: I guess for AMD we need to wait for Vega GPU getting released this summer. It should then match the GTX 1080 in PPD and watts.
That would be a shame, I really hope Vega will be faster.
It would certainly do it at a lower price point
davidcoton

Post by davidcoton »

antropofob wrote:Any beta tester here to give us a hint?
You can read about any public beta testing here, the beta testing forum is available to read (but not for posts by non-members).
Better still, if you have the time and interest, you can join the beta team.
I don't think you'll get any comments here on earlier (non-public) testing, because:
A) it could be misleading since the software is incomplete
B) most beta-testers want to remain on the team.
Aurum

Post by Aurum »

antropofob wrote:...soon-to-be-released Core 22 will use CUDA on Nvidia cards and will offer 20% improvement in performance over Core 21.
I hope to be assigned a Core 22 but have still only had Core 21. Be nice if that's true.
In Science We Trust Image
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Too early to make any predictions about Core_22, it has not been released for any testing so far. The only reason anyone knows anything is that its existence was revealed by showing up on the Project Summary page at one time and the person in charge of its development acknowledged the interest. No information has been released beyond that, the rest is speculation. So what the performance increase will be is not yet known.

When it is actually publicly released there will probably be an announcement of the beta testing here.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

antropofob wrote:Is there any chance of AMD becoming a contender for folding with the upcoming new release of OpenMM ?
I read that the soon-to-be-relased Core 22 will use CUDA on Nvidia cards and will offer 20% improvement in performance over Core 21.
Any beta tester here to give us a hint?
Isn't your GPU a contender today?

The information that you're seeking isn't part of the information is available regarding FAHCore_22. Performance improvements come from hardware upgrades and from drivers ... so it's a question for AMD, not for FAH or OpenMM.

Yes, Core 22 is expected to be more efficient that Core 21, but that's not something that is expected to favor AMD GPUs over non-AMD GPUs. Assuming your 20% number is correct, FAH will be able to do their research 20% faster.