Folding again

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

100%VG
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual Core 2.8GHz CPU
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Re: Folding again

Post by 100%VG »

JimboPalmer wrote:Since my case is low profile with a small power supply, I use a GTX 1050ti low profile card. Under $150 and 145,000 Points Per Day. It needs no additional power cables.
I bought an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 SSC from Best Buy for the PC that I'm on now. It has a 1000W PSU and the card slot is rated at 75W (what the card needs). This card has a DVI-D connecter. But this is not the Folding PC.

So, since I'm already familiar with it, and yours needs no power cable from the PSU, would please tell me the make and model to look for? That sounds like the one for me! I hope it comes with the low profile mounting bracket? installed, and a full card slot bracket as an option. I'm not sure what it's called, but I think you know what I mean. I could get a more powerful PSU if it's needed.

And I realized something. My DVI to VGA Adapters are DVI-I Single Link and they don't fit (it's the Key thing). I need a DVD-D to VGA Adapter for other applications. Or maybe a DVI-D to VGA Cable. I have a DVI-I to VGA Cable, so I'm sure somebody makes one.
Folding on a Dedicated Computer at Full Speed
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

The card I bought has the full height bracket installed but the low profile bracket was in the box and was just two Phillips screws to change.
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphi ... ow-profile

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6814500417

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Pr ... Z29N5?th=1

If you need a DVI to VGA adapter

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2E4162-D ... B000067RL2
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

100%VG wrote:And I realized something. My DVI to VGA Adapters are DVI-I Single Link and they don't fit (it's the Key thing). I need a DVD-D to VGA Adapter for other applications. Or maybe a DVI-D to VGA Cable. I have a DVI-I to VGA Cable, so I'm sure somebody makes one.
The 'D' in DVI-D is digital only. VGA needs analogue. Therefore to go from DVI-D (or the other digital only interfaces like DisplayPort or HDMI) you'll need an active converter that performs the digital to analogue conversion. Unfortunately, they end up being more expensive than the passive converters that just link the analogue pins in DVI-I to the corresponding VGA pins.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

FWIW

I have a 1060 that needed to connect to a vga plug and found an HDMI to VGA Converter Adapter which has worked great:

https://www.amazon.ca/VicTsing-Gold-pla ... +Converter
Last edited by bollix47 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

rwh202 wrote:The 'D' in DVI-D is digital only. VGA needs analogue. Therefore to go from DVI-D (or the other digital only interfaces like DisplayPort or HDMI) you'll need an active converter that performs the digital to analogue conversion. Unfortunately, they end up being more expensive than the passive converters that just link the analogue pins in DVI-I to the corresponding VGA pins.
Thanks for the reminder! Then I'll get a DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. I think I've seen one with a USB plug for power. Or maybe it was a DVI-D to VGA. Can't remember now.

I wrote to Gigabyte about the motherboard to see if the PCIe 2.0 slot will handle the 75W needed for a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Low Profile or an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC. The EVGA is in my Dell Precision T7400. That PCIe 2.0 slot is rated at 75W and it works fine in that one, but the Gigabyte motherboard is not marked. And there's no mention of a power rating for the card slot in the manual. Plus, the EVGA is a bit better than the ZOTAC, according to the specs. It's $160 at Best Buy, vs $148 for the ZOTAC. If these won't work, then I'll have to find one that takes a power cable from the PSU.
Last edited by 100%VG on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

bollix47 wrote:FWIW

I have a 1060 that needed to connect to a vga plug and found an HDMI to VGA Converter Adapter which has worked great:
I have one of those, but it doesn't play well with the KVM on my work bench. :( .Just to specify, KVM = Keyboard + Video + Mouse Switch. Maybe I need get a new model. But I think it's Windows 10 that doesn't like it. Every time I switched between computers, mine would make that USB Disconnect sound, and made the Connect sound when I switch back to it. And sometimes the screen would get messed up and/or the mouse wouldn't work.
Last edited by 100%VG on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

100%VG wrote:
bollix47 wrote:FWIW

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s-Black%2F
I have one of those, but it doesn't play well with the KVM on my work bench. :( .Just to specify, KVM = Keyboard + Video + Mouse Switch. Maybe I need get a new model. But I think it's Windows 10 that doesn't like it.
FYI

Mine is connected to a KVM switch and the o/s is Win 10 Pro and it works great.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

bollix47 wrote:FYI

Mine is connected to a KVM switch and the o/s is Win 10 Pro and it works great.
Sounds like I need a new one. If you don't mind me asking, what's the make and model of yours? Mine is an older Belkin. It has support for a PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard. I do computer repairs, so I still need that. I'm using the PS/2 ports with older USB products and the old USB to PS/2 adapters. It has both PS/2 and USB cables for the keyboard and mouse connections at the computer, but the USB cables aren't reliable for things like entering BIOS at POST with F2. They work fine once the OS has loaded, but not during POST.

Whichever one yours is, I'll see if PS/2 cables are available for it. Thanks in advance.
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

IOGear - GCS42VW6

https://www.iogear.com/search/?q=gcs42vw6&category=kvm

Mine is strictly usb and vga, no ps/2, no audio but they have other models.
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

bollix47 wrote:IOGear - GCS42VW6

https://www.iogear.com/search/?q=gcs42vw6&category=kvm

Mine is strictly usb and vga, no ps/2, no audio but they have other models.
Thanks!
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

Re: kvm
Even cheap kvms are expensive and the really cheap ones very prone to failure. After I had a couple of them go bad I came up with this. If your monitor will accept hdmi you can save some money, have something more reliable, and only very slightly less convenient. What I did was get a hdmi switch for the video and a mechanical 4 button usb switch. So I have to push two buttons instead off one which isn't too big a deal since i normally rdt into my rigs and only very seldom need the physical connection, like to go into bios or some such.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

SteveWillis wrote:Re: kvm
Even cheap kvms are expensive and the really cheap ones very prone to failure. After I had a couple of them go bad I came up with this. If your monitor will accept hdmi you can save some money, have something more reliable, and only very slightly less convenient. What I did was get a hdmi switch for the video and a mechanical 4 button usb switch. So I have to push two buttons instead off one which isn't too big a deal since i normally rdt into my rigs and only very seldom need the physical connection, like to go into bios or some such.
That's a thought, but my monitor does not have HDMI.
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Post by SteveWillis »

I haven't used them but Amazon has hdmi to vga adapters for under 10 dollars, if thats what you need. Also hdmi to displayport but they are more. I should mention that my setup works great but all three pc's are Linux so ymmv.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:As the cards get more powerful, they need more electrical cables, a bigger power supply, and better cooling. Since my case is low profile with a small power supply, I use a GTX 1050ti low profile card. Under $150 and 145,000 Points Per Day. It needs no additional power cables.
When a new generation of NVidia GPUs comes out they generally offer one or more GPUs that produces about the same throughput as the mid-range GPUs from the previous generation but use less electrical power (due to improved technology). The new top-of-the-line GPUs invariably offer increased throughput but probably use about the same electrical power. (I suspect AMD does the same thing.)
100%VG
GeForce GTS 5250 GPU
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Dedicated Computer

Post by 100%VG »

bruce wrote:When a new generation of NVidia GPUs comes out they generally offer one or more GPUs that produces about the same throughput as the mid-range GPUs from the previous generation but use less electrical power (due to improved technology). The new top-of-the-line GPUs invariably offer increased throughput but probably use about the same electrical power. (I suspect AMD does the same thing.)
Thanks for that, Bruce. Image

Still no word from Gigabyte about the PCIe slot power capability, so I'm on hold for a little longer. The Specifications on the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Low Profile say 75W Power Consumption (same as the EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC), but with a 300W PSU (mine has a 400W PSU). I feel that I still need to hear from them about the PCIe slot. Hopefully, soon.

Or are you saying that I should be able to find a GTX 1050 Ti that needs less than 75W from PCIe?

Or... Do you think that 75W is typical for the slot, and I shouldn't worry about it? In that case, I wouldn't need a Low Profile card. Just a new PSU.