WU's Not Being Assigned [new install]

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

NAtWork

WU's Not Being Assigned [new install]

Post by NAtWork »

I recently installed FAH for the first time, setup an identity, obtained a passkey, chose a cause, and waited. I have two Windows PCs containing three powerful GPUs waiting to fold, but after several days of waiting the FAH client has never once downloaded any work units. I see many cryptic error messages in the log such as:

08:47:47:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get ID from '171.64.65.35:80': Failed to connect to 171.64.65.35:80: A connection attempt failed because....
08:47:47:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment ID
08:53:35:Connecting to assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80
08:53:56:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80: Failed to connect to assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80: A connection attempt failed because...

After jumping through all the initial hoops, is the average person really supposed to spend their time trying to solve software bugs, or should they simply uninstall FAH and tell all their friends and colleagues not to bother with FAH, since it doesn't work?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: WU's Not Being Assigned [new install]

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome to the folding support forum.

I have split your post off the topic you added it to, the problem is not a software bug or server problem. Something on your system or local network is preventing the client software from contacting the servers for the Folding@home project. The FAHClient process needs the same access for downloading and uploading as a web browser, anti-malware and firewalls may need an exception entered.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

NAtWork wrote:simply uninstall FAH and tell all their friends and colleagues not to bother with FAH, since it doesn't work?
Most of their friends and relatives are going to have a straight forward home network. Tell us about yours. (Router, firewall, antivirus, etc)

i use Windows 7 a great deal and it asks me if F@H can be approved to go through the Windows firewall for the current network and all public networks.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:[i use Windows 7 a great deal and it asks me if F@H can be approved to go through the Windows firewall for the current network and all public networks.
In WIndows 10, Microsoft has decided to suppress that question even though FAH is not on their built-in list of approved browsers. I'm not sure of the best way to get that information out to new donors who don't find their way to foldingforum to ask the question.

Welcome to foldingforum.org, NAtWork.
NAtWork

Post by NAtWork »

Thanks for your help; of course you are correct, and apologies for my rant. I tried installing FAH on another PC here at work (with two TITAN Black GPUs), and when Windows 7 notified me about giving (local) firewall access I checked all three boxes to give FAH full freedom. Unfortunately that still wasn't enough, so the corporate network stuff higher up the chain must be blocking FAH. Instead, I'm now using the instant web-interface FAH, and it's now happily roasting two CPUs. I'll try FAH on my home PC next, which has two GTX1060 GPUs ready to earn their keep. Keep up the good work!
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

If you are folding using company resources, (PCs, electricity, time) be sure you have written permission to do so.

Best of luck with the corporate firewall. Mostly F@H only needs port 8080 open.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:Best of luck with the corporate firewall. Mostly F@H only needs port 8080 open.
Many firewalls block port 8080 or us it for its own purposes. If FAH has trouble with port 8080, it acts like a browser and expects to be able to use port 80.

Posting a log of failed download attempts will give us a chance to make better recommendations.

I second the recommendation that you get written permission from your employer before using company resources for projects that are not related to corporate goals. You might prepare yourself to make a presentation about how donating to medical research can benefit the company's public image.
NAtWork

Post by NAtWork »

Yes, perhaps it is better to leave my work PCs using only the CPU browser-based FAH, rather than installing the application! My work PCs are frequently left rendering 3D animations over the weekends, so the electricity/time for FAH would have been irrelevant, or at least unnoticeable ;-). The installed FAH has worked perfectly on my home PC, detecting CPU and 2x GPUs. Thanks for your help and advice.