Linux kernel versions and F@H performance

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hiigaran

Linux kernel versions and F@H performance

Post by hiigaran »

Most recent topic related to this appears to be some page that references version 2.6 back in 2009. Curious to see if there is more up to date information here.

Basically, has anyone been able to test differences in performance between different kernel versions for the purposes of folding? There have been plenty of kernel updates since 2.6, and they do bring about performance changes, if benchmarks comparing them have any indication.
bruce

Re: Linux kernel versions and F@H performance

Post by bruce »

I suspect that any performance changes are due to changes in the drivers, not the kernel. You will see evidence of driver overhead, but I've never seen enough kernel overhead to matter.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

I think that kernel performance was a lot more relevant back then as cpu folding was still very much the way to go and hardware had nowhere near the performance of todays cpu's. Given the switch to gpu folding and the current power of cpu hardware I don't think its anywhere near as important as it was. I also know that most of the people who would have been willing and able to test have long since left the folding community

just my £0.02
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

That's a pity. I'll be honest here, I've got the time and the resources to make the comparisons, but I can't really justify diverting folding power to such tests for several hours. I guess a lot of other people are in the same boat as well.

Or perhaps I could try doing it as each kernel is updated. What would be the best way to get benchmark results that are relevant to F@H?
bruce wrote:I suspect that any performance changes are due to changes in the drivers, not the kernel. You will see evidence of driver overhead, but I've never seen enough kernel overhead to matter.
I'd assume that from what little benchmark comparisons are out there, the testers would have kept everything the same and just rebooted with a different kernel for each set of tests. While I agree that the drivers are what make the biggest difference, I have to wonder if more powerful systems would have noticeable effects with different versions.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Almost what you want.

http://fahbench.github.io/

It measures GPUs rather than CPUs. (although it may actually work on CPUs, it is not tested)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
bruce

Post by bruce »

hiigaran wrote:I'd assume that from what little benchmark comparisons are out there, the testers would have kept everything the same and just rebooted with a different kernel for each set of tests. While I agree that the drivers are what make the biggest difference, I have to wonder if more powerful systems would have noticeable effects with different versions.
Why not run FAHBench when you update EITHER the kernel or the drivers?
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

That would skew the results though. I'd need to keep the drivers the same, or otherwise it would be difficult to tell whether the kernel or the driver update was the cause of performance changes.

In that case, I'd need to keep a 'control' version of the drivers, and switch to it before running any benchmarks.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

As I understand this, the Linux kernal is about to get slower on intel CPUs.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1415305

Mind you, so is Windows and OSX, etc.
Tsar of all the Rushers
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

JimboPalmer wrote:As I understand this, the Linux kernal is about to get slower on intel CPUs.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1415305

Mind you, so is Windows and OSX, etc.
That is a nasty one ... the Intel bug ... thx for linking
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Will it affect folding? Apparently it only affects sys calls, which means gaming for example will not be significantly affected. Though gaming and folding are two different things, so I'm not so sure.
ChristianVirtual

Post by ChristianVirtual »

[wild guess]don't know the technical details; but it might impact the GPU drivers and subsequent its performance; for CPU folding I think its less impacting[/wild guess]
we will see next week after the patches are out ...
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

[wild guess] check pointing is going to be all syscalls, so there will be some impact, but for most of us, checkpoints are rare.

I would expect little impact to CPU folding on any platform.

I am less clear about GPU folding, I think Linux handles the GPU in user space and Windows in kernal space, so it is possible that effects vary. [/wild guess. which will be corrected next Tuesday]
Tsar of all the Rushers
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Games using GPU were tested on Linux with kernel patch and performance is the same.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ming-Tests

Fileservers or databases with big I/O to the disk suffer from this.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 6pti&num=2
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Will different Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Mint have different FAH performance? (With same drivers or kernel)

What about FreeBSD?
hiigaran

Post by hiigaran »

Given that it's a kernel and microcode update, it shouldn't have any effect. Unless you're using some sort of distro-specific kernel, in which case I have no idea.