Setting priority to high results in higher PPD [SOLVED]

Moderators: Site Moderators, PandeGroup

Setting priority to high results in higher PPD [SOLVED]

Postby Longbowgun » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:19 am

I have seen a drastic difference in manually setting the chrome.exe priority to high. Performance increases from ~700+ PPD to 3000+. The desktop client never exceeded 900 PPD.

The problem? When a new WU is downloaded it resets the priority to normal. This has been discussed in other threads (and "resolved" because it was hogging resources needed for the user experience. As that I don't use this system for a user experience I need an opposite resolution). Is there a way to set a flag (like the shortcut for the desktop client " --open-web-control") or use a program? Process Explorer runs into the same reset problem as setting it manually in task manager.
Perhaps there's a way to run this version of the client as a service?

System specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.850
Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @2.00GHz
4 GB RAM
Last edited by Longbowgun on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longbowgun

Re: Setting priority to high results in higher PPD

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Setting high priority is a dangerous proposition. There's a better way.

The design of an operating system contains many processes and each is given an appropriate priority. Higher priority is normally given to essential processes which require very small chunks of processing resources and lower priority is given to processes which demang larger chunks of resources. FAHCore_a* is specifically designed to be a resource hog -- use all of the unused processor resources -- which a big emphasis on the word unused.

For example, whey you type a character or move a mouse, some process processes the new information and invokes whatever other process is needed to make the appropriate action happen -- including a process that makes appropriate changes to what you see on the screen. Another process sends and receives information on the network. Another process manages virtual memory. Another process manages reads and writes to disk. (And then there are process which do whatever you invoke to do whatever you bought the computer to do.) Programs like Process Explorer and Task Manager can give you useful information about what's happening in your computer. Some of those interruptions do slow down FAH, but if they're ESSENTIAL, you don't want to delay them indefinitely.

It should be pointed out that higher priority tasks does not run faster. The CPU works at a constant speed, choosing to run the higher priority task(s) first an lower priority tasks whenever possible. If you're running a high priority task that takes 99%+ then everything that runs at a lower priority won't get more than 1% and they may have to wait a "long" time to get dispatched.

PPD is not linear, but let's pretend for a moment that they are.You say that if FAH gets ~99% of the computer resources, it can produce 3000+ PPD but it's only getting 700 which suggests that something else is hogging about 77% of your resources and FAH is only able to find about 23% unused resources. What is hogging that 77%? All of the important OS stuff typically takes maybe 1 or 2% so what's using that 70%? You've obviously got something happening that could be deemed non-essential and can be disabled.

Disabling nonessential processes takes some intelligentce and that makes it s somewhat more difficult that simply setting priority but the results will be worth the effort.
bruce

Postby Longbowgun » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am

"The design of an operating system contains..." The operating system and other programs aren't causing the issue. I'm not using 100%. The system resources for the .api (I think) are limited to ~25% every time a new work unit starts. If I were to run only the necessary processes to keep Windows running and chrome open and connected a new work unit would still only consume ~25% on the processor. Every time a new work unit starts chrome has a new p.i.d.

The only change is priority. note the time to complete goes WAY down and the and PPD goes WAY up.

Priority set to "normal".
https://i.imgur.com/uTfPj2M.jpg

Priority set to "high" is the only change.
https://i.imgur.com/bSXUkrc.jpg
Longbowgun

Postby rwh202 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 am

As Bruce says, the problem isn't the priority of the Chrome client, the problem is the other processes running on your computer:
svchost and system are using 70% cpu

If they were using a normal 1-2% then even with low priority, the chrome client would be able to claim the extra 70% idle cpu for its use.

Try and work out what process has spawned those and fix the problem at the source rather than just giving chrome the power to steal from them.

Oh, and I've mentioned it elsewhere, but the deadline for chrome WUs is around 30 minutes - most systems don't meet this and leads to WU reissue and duplication, so for that reason alone, the standard client makes more sense with its long deadline WUs.
rwh202

Postby bollix47 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:14 pm

rwh202 wrote:Oh, and I've mentioned it elsewhere, but the deadline for chrome WUs is around 30 minutes - most systems don't meet this and leads to WU reissue and duplication, so for that reason alone, the standard client makes more sense with its long deadline WUs.

I agree that the preferred deadline on projects 2019 & 2020 are too short at .01 days (14.4 minutes). Another NACL project, 2983, has a preferred deadline of .1 days (144 minutes) which makes much more sense. I think someone has put the decimal in the wrong spot or they meant to put .05 instead of .01. Since these projects do not receive a bonus the only result of such a short deadline is duplication of effort and doing most WUs two or more times can't be good for the projects involved, not to mention being a waste of donor resources.

My apologies for being a bit off topic.
bollix47

Postby Joe_H » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:23 pm

The deadline for the NaCl WU's may be too short in theory, but in practice when checking WU's in the database I rarely see any done twice. The issue of the short deadlines has been raised in the past, as best as I can tell there is such a low percentage of duplicate WU's that no one has taken the time to modify the server and project configuration.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Joe_H
Site Admin

Postby SteveWillis » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm

While in general I agree with the answers given, in the original post the OP says that he doesn't use the computer for other things and implies he doesn't care if the resources get hogged. All my rigs run on Linux so I can't speak from personal experience but a quick search for windows 10 lock priority produced several results, including this: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/27/win ... ws-10.html which looks promising.However it's the only one of the results I actually looked at.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
SteveWillis

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Run the Windows Task Manager (aka taskmgr.exe). If in Win10, click "more details" (In Win7 I think it was a different tab). If you can find it, click on "Show details of all users" (this does require Admin permissions but it will let you see a task called System Idle Process). Click on the heading of the CPU column (to sort by CPU use).

On a "normal" system, there should be a significant percentage of idle time until you start FAH -- then FAH should use that percentage. With FAH set at LOW priority, what's above it?
It's more effective if you set the update speed to Low but that's not essential.

When you raise the priority, it will move FAH above many of those processes and they will effectively stop running becuase FAH hogs their resources. If you manually stop those processes they won't compete with FAH and you can leave the essential ones (like updating the mouse position on the screen).
bruce

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:57 pm

This system is running the installed FAHClient with one GPU slot and one CPU slot. It has a old AMD A8 APU which runs 4 threads, one devoted to the GPU slot and 3 devoted to the CPU slot. With default priority settings, the system is both responsive to my inputs and reasonable productive, PPD-wise.

I expect that when I'm using (mostly) the browser like I am now, maybe 70-74% is going to FahCore_a4 or _a7, 24-25% to FahCore_21, maybe 2-3% to the browser (Firefox) and smaller amounts will go to other processes. (e.g.- System gets 0.4%, DestopWindowManager get 0.7%, System interrupts gets 0.2%, etc. all adding up to 100%. Those small percentages don't add up to much but they're more critical than FAH so they are set to a higher priority.)

If I raise the priority of FahCore_a* to HIGH, I can increase it from 70% to 99% shutting out the 2-4% that the system needs to remain responsive to my requests -- and unless I also raise FahCore_21 to HIGH, it will shut out my GPU processing. So 74.8% + 24.9% + 0.3% might get me a few more PPD but the system will have become unresponsive.

Your system will be different, of course, but tell us what you see, both with and without setting HIGH priority.
bruce

Postby Longbowgun » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Process Hacker did the job.

processhacker.sourceforge.net

It works with Win10 (and all the latest updates - which wiped the system; it's basically a fresh install - as of today...)

Now getting 2,600+ PPD consistently across several WU with a priority setting of high.

https://i.imgur.com/w3BFwDC.jpg
Longbowgun

Re: Setting priority to high results in higher PPD [SOLVED]

Postby Longbowgun » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

Oh! And thanks to SteveWillis: The keyword I was missing in my search was "lock".
Longbowgun

Postby Jimboc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Longbowgun wrote:Oh! And thanks to SteveWillis: The keyword I was missing in my search was "lock".

Hi Longbowgun,

I'm really glad you resolved this issue with the ever useful Process Hacker (I use it too).

To keep my system responsive when folding with both of my GTX Titans and my CPU I use Process Lasso. I use it to automatically set the priority of FahCore21.exe to above normal while it automatically balances with Google Chrome (using the CPU). My system remains responsive while all of this is happening. Thanks.
Jimboc

Postby Longbowgun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm

As I've now run some numbers: I figured out that folding with the (any) cpu isn't energy efficient enough to continue. I fold for CureCoin and FoldingCoin - it helps offset the electricity cost.
Longbowgun

Return to NaCl client (Chrome);