I know what I want, FAHClient won't believe me

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

I know what I want, FAHClient won't believe me

Postby b-morgan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 pm

My configuration is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1709, Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.60GHz CPU, 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA), 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA).

In the last week, my system is crashing as often as every 10 minutes. I have determined that Folding @ Home is responsible. I was folding on both GPUs but not the CPU.

Now, I want to test folding on only the GTX 660. I've done the GPU-Z and FAHClient --lspci and created a config.xml that looks like this (team and passkey obfuscated):

Code: Select all
<config>
  <!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='****************************'/>
  <team v='*******'/>
  <user v='b-morgan'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <gpu-index v='0'/>
    <cuda-index v='0'/>
    <opencl-index v='0'/>
    <paused v='true'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='2' type='GPU'>
    <gpu-index v='1'/>
    <cuda-index v='1'/>
    <opencl-index v='1'/>
    <paused v='true'/>
  </slot>
</config>

I can't get Folding @ Home started with this config.xml file. It keeps wanting to create its own which isn't what I want! How do I get things started with this config.xml file? Is it possible to delete the GTX 960 entirely and just fold on the GTX 660?
b-morgan

Re: I know what I want, FAHClient won't believe me

Postby ChristianVirtual » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:48 am

Which FAH software ? Did you tried 7.4.16 ? Public beta ?

Can you post the first 100 lines of the log file ? That would help us to see more details.
Did you maintained the file manually or via front end Tool FAHControl ?
ImageImage
Please contribute your logs to http://ppd.fahmm.net
ChristianVirtual

Postby foldy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am

Only use the <gpu-index v='0'/> and <gpu-index v='1'/> to determine the GPU and remove the <cuda-index v=''/> and <opencl-index v=''/>

You can also do this in FahControl UI settings
foldy

Postby bruce » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:58 am

b-morgan wrote:I can't get Folding @ Home started with this config.xml file. It keeps wanting to create its own which isn't what I want! How do I get things started with this config.xml file? Is it possible to delete the GTX 960 entirely and just fold on the GTX 660?

The critical question is how you created the new config.xml file. FAH will absolutely NOT use a .xml file that contains a syntax error. It will replace it with it's own default file if there's an error.

If you used FAHControl to modify the existing one, it will be syntatically correct. If you created it with some other editor, you'll need to find and fix the error.
bruce

Postby rwh202 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:32 am

Yeah the file might end .xml, but we’ve been told that it isn’t an XML file and the syntax is perculiar to the fah client.

Quite why that’s the case and it’s not a generic xml with a matching xsd to validate to, I don’t know but software resource is at a premium so unlikely to be improved.
rwh202

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:36 am

rwh202 wrote:Yeah the file might end .xml, but we’ve been told that it isn’t an XML file and the syntax is perculiar to the fah client.

Quite why that’s the case and it’s not a generic xml with a matching xsd to validate to, I don’t know but software resource is at a premium so unlikely to be improved.

I don't know your source of information, but I have used a 3rd party xml editor and it validates it while I'm working on it. In either case, you should be able to do whatever you want using FAHControl, and you won't have a problem. Any valid option can be added.

Please provide an example where you created a modified config.xml by both methods (one which works and one which is discarded) and maybe we can figure out why somebody told you that the syntax is peculiar to FAHClient.
bruce

Return to V7.4.4 Public Release Windows/Linux/MacOS X (deprecated)