Latest Nvidia driver giving me problems (can't reproduce)

Driver issues associated with the Windows 10 roll-out

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

phrost

Re: Latest Nvidia driver giving me problems (can't reproduce

Post by phrost »

i posted on that nvidia thread and submitted a bug report. also, after doing some searching on the forums i've seen other people reporting similar issue after updating windows 10 to the latest spring or fall or creators update :/
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

On one of my machines, the update to 1803 removed the OpenCL installation so I had to reinstall NV drivers ... but on another one, everything was OK, Windows Updates didn't touch NV drivers. And the third machine can't do the update, it fails to reboot to install it :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
phrost

Post by phrost »

looks like DDUing helped.. this is so weird :/
bruce

Post by bruce »

Two issues:
1) When Microsoft updates the Video Drivers, they give you ONLY video support, not support for CUDA or OpenCL (Required for FAH)
2) NVidia produced a defective OpenCL/CUDA components of driver revision 379.3x but this problem can now be fixed with a clean install of 379.6x
phrost wrote:looks like DDUing helped.. this is so weird :/
I'm guessing that this may be related to Microsoft's policy allowing them to update the video drivers without updating OpenCL/CUDA.
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

Now, my CPU will fold but both of my GPU's show "ready".
Yes, same experience for me, Nvidia drivers 397.31 and 397.64 on three platforms, all:
- dual Nvidia GPUs
- Windows 10 Pro 1803
- Nvidia drivers 397.31 and 397.64

Installation of both subject drivers was Custom - Physx and graphics drivers only, set for clean installation.
I did not try 'installing over the top,' but only clean installations. The only solution for me, for each computer, was
to reinstall the previous drivers. The process of installing the newer drivers and then reverting back to the
previous drivers wiped out all the work units, causing the Folding clients to download new work units as soon as I reverted
to the previous drivers. All drivers, the newer and the 'previous,' were manual, direct downloads from Nvidia's
driver pages.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Leonardo wrote:Installation of both subject drivers was Custom - Physx and graphics drivers only, set for clean installation.
FAH does not use PhysX so that's unnecessary. If you get your drivers from NVidia or AMD, OpenCL will be included with the graphics driver selection (and CUDA which is included for NVidia). If you obtain your drivers from other sources, you're likely not to get OpenCL which is required for FAH. Posting the first part of FAH's log will provide us with useful information. (See my earlier post.)
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Yes Bruce, I know that PhysX is not needed for Folding. My point was merely to be precise concerning the circumstances of the inability to start Folding work units. Both sets of 397.xx drivers from Nvidia I downloaded directly from Nvidia's drivers pages. The Nivida - Folding "Ready" issues were days and even weeks ago. That's too many days of logs to go through. The systems are Folding perfectly now on pre-397.XX drivers. Later I will try upgrading drivers without selecting a clean installation and see how that goes.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

I have problems with latest MSI Afterburner 4.5.0 with nvidia 397.xx freezing my PC for several minutes Windows 7 64bit. I'm back at MSI Afterburner 4.4.2 which seems to work with 397.xx driver on my MSI gtx 1080ti Gaming.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That .xx is important to define. The 397.31 release has multiple reports that it would work for a period of time and then stop working for GPU calculations. Those reports are from persons doing folding, and have also come from GPU projects run through BOINC. nVidia even ended up releasing a hotfix, 397.55, and eventually a regular update to 397.64.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

@Joe_H
- Nvidia drivers 397.31 and 397.64
:ewink:

The fix for me was to update to 397.64 WITHOUT a clean installation. Strange, that the best practice of clean install was not appropriate this time.

@foldy
I have problems with latest MSI Afterburner 4.5.0 with nvidia 397.xx freezing my PC for several minutes Windows 7 64bit. I'm back at MSI Afterburner 4.4.2 which seems to work with 397.xx driver on my MSI gtx 1080ti Gaming.
MSI Afterburner, 4.4.2 and 4.5.0, seemed to have no influence at all with my systems with respect to the FAHClient "Ready" startup issue. The issue was present regardless of which Afterburner versions was installed, and and regardless whether AB was running or not.