I need some advice, please

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

vasbyt

I need some advice, please

Post by vasbyt »

https://www.howtogeek.com/357571/what-i ... t-yourself

All sorts of people tell me not to leave my computer on 24/7 but I do.
I'm here because I want to give the use of my on-all-the-time computer to something useful like FAH

What can I tell these people, like the one who sent me the link to the webpage above?

Thank you.
Naomi
bruce

Re: I need some advice, please

Post by bruce »

Don't click on links unless you trust the site you're visiting. (that includes getting emails from people you don't know or even ones that look like they're from a friend but they just encourage you to click on a link that just doesn't feel like them. Downloading and installing software that's not from a reputable site is also a no-no.

FAH is acceptable because (1) it was started as a research project at Stanford University and as a reputable University, they can be trusted. (2) the EULA tells you NOT to download FAH software from unreliable sources. (3) it has been running for over 15 years without incident. (4) FAH does not operate crypto-coin sites -- although there are other sites that pay crypto-coins to YOU providing you go through the necessary steps to set up your own account.
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

There are some drawbacks to participating in cryptocurrency for distributing computing...

1. It's considered a form of investment and you may have to pay taxes on it. I don't know the threshold or requirements, but be aware folks have gotten in trouble when the IRS (or relevant country agency) finds out (and they will).

2. You are often required to join the *coin team. For Example: Gridcoin (which is Bitcoin based) which 'rewards' you for running various 'approved' BOINC projects requires you to join their team and remain on their team. From what I saw of Folding *coin organizations when I rejoined F@H, it appears to be similar.

3. Folding@home is a stand-alone project so the following doesn't apply.

For BOINC there are often 'approved' projects. If you run a project not on their list (and the criteria can be somewhat muddled), you don't get anything for running it. With BOINC, it's a little confusing as it's just a platform... there is NO 'BOINC' project, so you don't get credit just for BOINC itself. Some projects may also reward you more (either long-term or short-term) but you usually have to keep track of that yourself and adjust accordingly.

4. It adds a layer of complexity (and some overhead) to running DC projects. There's way to automate things and that varies by each *coin service, but you still have to keep an eye on things. *coin services often may want to take control of your DC client through their own software. What options you have in regards to what it does may vary by each *coin service.

That's not to say cryptocurrency for running DC is bad, but those are the trade-offs. On the positive side though, vetted services often seek to simplify things for you in regards to earning *coins vs doing it on your own such as with Bitcoin. Do be aware that although the blockchain technology itself is pretty secure, that some services that host them have been hacked and the *coins stolen from users. It's not a bank, so you could be out everything you generated depending on what guarantees the organization offers.

Do your homework if you're curious about it. Getting in on a new service early can be beneficial, but you don't know how reliable and honest they are as they haven't been vetted. Also, read around and see what users are saying about the service.

Best,

Yav
vasbyt

Post by vasbyt »

Thank you very much Yav, for your help, and reassurance.
I definitely don't want anything to do with cryptocurrency or anything like it.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to, to explain it all to me.
As long as I know they aren't able to access my computer while it's on, I'm alright.

Yav, you have set my mind at rest, and again, I thank you most sincerely.
All is well now.

Best

Naomi.
vasbyt

Post by vasbyt »

Thank you Bruce for your advice. Now I realise people can't just get into any computer that's on, I feel much better.
I know it sounded dumb but I'm still learning, and just had to ask
Thanks a lot, Bruce, you've been very kind.
Naomi
jrweiss
Hardware configuration: Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; 32GB G-Skill Trident DDR4-3200; Samsung 860EVO 1TB Boot SSD; VelociRaptor 1TB; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver; BeQuiet FM 550 PSU; Lian Li PC-9F; Win11Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

[Suspended] Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI X570MPG, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600; Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIe Gen4 Boot, Samsung 840EVO-250 SSDs; VelociRaptor 1TB, Raptor 150; MSI GTX 1050ti, 526.98 driver; Kingwin Stryker 500 PSU; Lian Li PC-K7B. Win10Pro-64, F@H 8.3.5.

Post by jrweiss »

Current antivirus and antimalware software protects against many/most of the "in the wild" threats. Use 1 of each (e.g., Norton and Malwarebytes). Spend the few dollars on the paid versions to enable real-time protection.

Another safeguard is to put your computer behind a router, even if you don't have a network. Most current routers have some level of firewall protection above the inherent (though not elegant) protection of NAT (Network Address Translation).

Using a VPN (Virtual Private network) adds yet another level of protection. ALWAYS use a VPN when connecting a phone, tablet, or laptop to a public (e.g., coffee shop) network.
Ryzen 7 5700G, 22.40.46 VGA driver; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver
Ryzen 7 3700X; MSI GTX 1050ti, 551.23 studio driver [Suspended]
vasbyt

Post by vasbyt »

Thank you for your good advice, jrweiss.
I'm pleased to say I am doing most of the things you suggested.
I always have Malwarebytes Premium running, and have a router.
I have a VPN, but I didn't think of using it when connecting to anywhere public. I'll certainly do this from now on.
Thanks again for your help.
Naomi