On forced restart Client refuses to run until reinstalled

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Kuno

On forced restart Client refuses to run until reinstalled

Post by Kuno »

I'm having issues with the new client where if I have to force restart my computer, say a program hangs, and I have to power it down to get back into windows, where the client absolutely refuses to run until the client has been completely uninstalled and reinstalled. It doesn't matter if I pause a work unit before I do a warm boot. The client refuses to run, period, until it has been uninstalled, and reinstalled. The webclient won't run, even trying it from the start menu it refuses to do anything. This is beyond frustrating and I am to the point where I am just going to give up on FAH because the software is so freaking horrible. I have lost entire days worth of folding because of the sheer amount of times I have had to uninstall and reinstall this stupid freaking new version of the program. I HATE THIS UPDATE.

On my latest reboot, it magically "uninstalled" itself, as all the program icons are all white, and none of the file locations exist.

Constant reboots due to trying to recover data from several hard drives and they like to lock the system, even when on USB adapters.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: On forced restart Client refuses to run until reinstalle

Post by Joe_H »

This does not sound like a problem with the client software, or we would have had many reports. The symptoms you are describing sound more like hardware problems. Bad RAM, a failing drive, or bad connections or cables could all cause these kind of issues. There are many other hardware failures that would also cause this kind of thing.

On the software side, are you running any anti-malware apps? Depending on their settings they can also cause these kind of problems.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Kuno

Re: On forced restart Client refuses to run until reinstalle

Post by Kuno »

It's the software as I've rolled back to 7.44 and I do NOT have the same problem. As I've already stated, I am trying to recover data from some hard drives and they like to lock my system at times hence why I have to reboot. 7.44 does not have that problem as I've had to force reboot several times today and not once have I had to uninstall it, and reinstall it to get it working again. As for bad ram, failing ssd, or bad cables or bad connections, no, I already tested all that before posting here. Even on the EVGA forums people have complained about how horrible 7.51 is and they refuse to post here because of how quickly threads complaining about it get locked down. One user spent a week trying to get it to function and eventually gave up and rolled back to 7.44 like I have had to.

Users aren't complaining here because they know their voices will be silenced, or as you've brushed it off as "it's not our software it must be your machine". This forum has a bad reputation where no open discussion can take place, so we discuss things on our own boards, and only come here as a last resort.